Geni Shiva 250

JWigPVB

Hello all!

I'm a volunteer at a community theatre here in Jacksonville Beach, FL, which is cool because I finally get to start doing some of the stuff I went to college for 20 years ago!

I found a couple of Geni Shiva 250 instruments in our closet, but no one at the theatre has any documentation for them. The taiwan link for Geni seems to be inaccessible, and I emailed one place in England that appears to still sell them, to no avail. Does anyone here have any tips on how to set the dipswitches to address them, or any other info about the lights?

Thanks!
Jim Wiggins
Players by the Sea Community Theatre
Jacksonville Beach, FL
Welcome to Players by the Sea! - Players by the Sea

I've never heard of these fixtures, but perhaps the glossary entry dipswitch chart can help in setting the address. I'd start by addressing a fixture to 001, and with a console patched 1-to-1, bring up each channel to figure out what it does. Until you find the "intensity" channel, others such as color, gobo, focus, etc. may appear to not do anything.

Are these your fixtures? It looks like Ch.2 Gobo must be greater than (16/256)= ~6% for light to come out.

Last edited:
Those are exactly our instruments. Looks like the link you've provided me has just about everything I need, thank you so much!

Cheers!

How do you like them? I thought about picking up a couple of Neo Neon units.

Mike

The Control Booth is certainly MY favorite place for all things lighting & such. Glad to be of service to you!

The Control Booth is certainly MY favorite place for all things lighting & such. Glad to be of service to you!

Well, I've got good news to report, we were able to get the Shivas up and running. The profiles built into our Element were very helpful, and we were able to manipulate all of the instrument parameters.

Key lesson learned-make sure the DMX cable physically connects the board and the instruments. :lol:

Now the hard part. I'm looking for some resources on how to actually USE these instruments in a show.
Are there any textbooks or anything that go into theory and practice? Writing cues with anything more than instrument intensity levels is entirely new stuff since I did my theatre minor back in school.

We do mostly straight plays and musicals in our house, and would likely only have the instruments move or change color visibly (other than rotating a gobo or two) on occasion. My college design textbooks are hopelessly obsolete in this topic.

I'll be down at LDI next weekend, and look forward to learning a lot and meeting you at your booth.

Thanks again,

Jim Wiggins
Players-by-the-Sea Community Theatre
Jacksonville Beach, FL

Last edited:
Hi,

Since this was the only forum showing up in Google talking about this, I registered here to write this post and hopefully get any answers regarding to this.. Please apologize if I'm doing something wrong..
Well, I've got a Geni Shiva 250 scanner. Unfortunately I can't find any manual or data sheet online, and without a DMX chart I can't program it onto my computer in order to effectively use it (and I really want to use it because I know I spend money on it!) - The link from above seems not to be working anymore..
I actually wrote to Neo-Neon and some shops which were originally offering these scanners but I didn't get an answer yet..
Does someone still have a DMX chart (or even the full manual) and could send it to me? Or tell me where I can find it? I already spend hours on Google but didn't find anything useful..
Would really appreciate any help!

Best regards from Vienna!

SHIVA DMX 512 CONTROL
Shiva is designed for use with standard USITT DMX512 controllers. Effect channel positions provide convenient DMX control as illustrated below.
proxy.php

It's pretty straight forward.

Channel 1 is color
Channel 2 is gobo
Channel 3 is pan
Channel 4 is tilt

@Amiers Thanks man, I think I've got it now! Color for example would be from 255 to 175 and so on.. Thank you!

No that's color rotation. 0-175 Would be your colors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back