Getting some upgrades; what should I expect?

Tex

My school is finally getting some sound upgrades. The old Soundcraft board is dying and one of the mains sounds blown so it's about time. After chasing down three quotes for a completely new system, I was informed that there was only enough money for a board and a new center cluster. :(
Here's what I'm getting (I did not make this decision; it's made at the district level):
Console: Allen & Heath GL2400-32
Speakers: OAP Q-2500SP Mains-High-Mid
OAP Q-1800LP Mains-Sub
Are there any problems with this setup that I can anticipate? I've always heard that Allen and Heath boards are delicate. Is this going to be a negative factor in a high school setting?
Please don't suggest that I buy something else. This is a done deal. I'm just looking for any problems I might encounter, or (if I'm lucky) maybe some congratulations for getting some good equipment. Although if the Colortran Innovator that I got last year is any indication, I may be in trouble! ;) (It's not that bad; I just wanted an Ion...)
Thanks!

The GL2400 is built like a tank. I've used it multiple times (each in a different place, using a different console), and it's wonderful for a board in that price range. Just about the best you could do. Don't know about OAP though, I've never used their stuff.

The Allen & Heath GL2400-32 is a great board. It should work just fine.
Like with any console I highly suggest covering it when not in use, and taking what mild measures you can to keep it safe from vandals, idiots, and pop-drinkers.

As for the cabinets you said that they were just replacing the center-cluster... What are the others in operation?

My school is finally getting some sound upgrades. The old Soundcraft board is dying and one of the mains sounds blown so it's about time. After chasing down three quotes for a completely new system, I was informed that there was only enough money for a board and a new center cluster. :(
Here's what I'm getting (I did not make this decision; it's made at the district level):
Console: Allen & Heath GL2400-32
Speakers: OAP Q-2500SP Mains-High-Mid
OAP Q-1800LP Mains-Sub
Are there any problems with this setup that I can anticipate? I've always heard that Allen and Heath boards are delicate. Is this going to be a negative factor in a high school setting?
Please don't suggest that I buy something else. This is a done deal. I'm just looking for any problems I might encounter, or (if I'm lucky) maybe some congratulations for getting some good equipment. Although if the Colortran Innovator that I got last year is any indication, I may be in trouble! ;) (It's not that bad; I just wanted an Ion...)
Thanks!
Those could be good product selections or terrible ones, without knowing a lot more about the application and the desired goals there is no way to tell. What did you tell the firms preparing the bids? How did they arrive at these product selections? What equipment are these replacing and have you experienced any problems with those other than the apparent failures (not enough inputs, insufficient speaker coverage or output level, etc.)? Did anyone verify that the existing speaker is damaged and that it and the existing console cannot be easily repaired? What are you trying to do? What are the applications? What is the physical space like? What do you have for system processing, amps, etc.? Who is installing these? Who is going to be tuning or retuning the speaker system? Is any related cabling, rigging, hardware, etc. also being provided? Is the center cluster a standalone element or is it part of a LCR speaker system or anything like that? Are the speakers the 60x40 or 90x40 version and are they being run biamped or full range? Hopefully someone considered all of these as well as any other related factors before making any decisions.

In general, the A&H GL2400 series is a good console for the price. However, whether it fits your requirements as far as inputs and outputs, functionality, etc. is critical to determining if it is a good choice for your application.

I am more concerned about the speakers as selecting the right speakers for any application can entail considering many factors. Do they provide the right coverage for the application? The desired output and response? Do they physically work? Are they compatible with the existing processing and amplification? OAP makes some unique speakers but there are many competing products to the particular models noted and frankly, I would typically consider a number of other products first. But there may be something that makes them a particularly good fit for your application. I just hope that decision was based on how they work in the application and not just on the cost.

I just hope that decision was based on how they work in the application and not just on the cost.
I'm not a sound expert by any means, but I had some of the same concerns. The firms that gave me quotes all sent out technicians who spent a couple of hours measuring, documenting and taking pictures. The firm we're going with has done other installations in the area and has a good reputation. They requested a copy of and asked lots of questions about my Vectorworks drawing of our theatre, so I'm fairly confident that the equipment recommendations were made specifically for my space. It's always hard to be sure, though. In a situation where I don't make the final decision, I'm sort of at the mercy of fate.
My main concern was the impression I had formed over the years that Allen & Heath consoles were delicate. I'm glad to hear that this one is fairly tough. It will be covered when not in use. (Extra protection since the booth is ALWAYS locked if I'm not there. ;) )

You just got an Innovator last year?!?!? I thought that console was banned. If you haven't had problems yet, just wait, you will soon enough.

As for the Allen & Heath, I know a few guys who swear by their Allen & Heaths. They all love them.

I used a A&H GL-2800 (Very similar just more buses and things of that nature) during my time in high school, I found it was a very reliable board and also that it was fairly easy to teach. Most students picked up the basics very quickly. Without knowing more info it sounds like the board will probably work out well for you guys.

I have worked with a few A&H boards and had such bad experiences with them I just gave up on them... I guess I kinda got scared away from them...

Last edited by a moderator:
You just got an Innovator last year?!?!? I thought that console was banned. If you haven't had problems yet, just wait, you will soon enough.
Yeah, I know... My district probably cleared the vendor's old inventory. I don't mind the interface so much. It's pretty standard. Funny you should mention the problems, though. I just started getting low battery warnings. Fortunately, they're cheap and easy to change.

Thanks to all who have offered opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Allen & Heath - great choice.

OAP - given the many poor comments I've seen about their snakes, I'd steer completely clear.

If you want powered speakers, look at Yorkville and (whatever it is that's always missing from my favorites when I go looking for it).

Allen and Heath make fine consoles. The OAP speakers are obscure enough that we can rule out some school district person choosing them at the local music store. Chances are someone has done some engineering and selected them for the space. It'll probably turn out great.

The OAP speakers are obscure enough that we can rule out some school district person choosing them at the local music store. Chances are someone has done some engineering and selected them for the space. It'll probably turn out great.
Someone has done some engineering, I'm certain of that. I just hope they were good with math!
The money was part of a bond package and somehow it became my responsibility to find a vendor. Not to take this off topic, but has anyone else had problems getting vendors out to their site to create a quote? Out of about 10 that I called, 3 actually came out and 2 actually submitted a quote. It's like pulling teeth. I was just glad to get a quote that's within our budget. It sounds like I'm getting some decent equipment as a bonus! Whatever it is, it couldn't sound worse than what I have currently. Now I just need to get it installed before the musical...

Not to take this off topic, but has anyone else had problems getting vendors out to their site to create a quote? Out of about 10 that I called, 3 actually came out and 2 actually submitted a quote. It's like pulling teeth.
It probably depends on the situation, especially for public schools. If there are no formal Bid Documents bidders may assume that the bids will be all over the place with some wild card getting the project or that one firm already has an "in" and the rest of the bids are just getting numbers so it can be claimed to be a "competitive" bid. And with public or state schools they may assume that the bid will be awarded to the bidder with the lowest price, which with no formal Bid Documents could mean the bidder willing to make the most compromises and cut the most corners. It often comes down to how much effort can they justify investing in a bid that may be a) loosely or poorly defined, b) open to many bidders and c) awarded based on cost.

The flip side is that a very tightly defined bid package with numerous qualifiers may provide more basis for technically competitive bids and a value based decision but will likely also eliminate or discourage many potential bidders.

A good example, I have a project currently out to bid for a State University and the University came up with a list of "approved" Vendors to whom a notification of the bid would be delivered that included 139 firms, basically anyone the State has listed as a registered Vendor for audio or production communications equipment. Probably less than 10% of those could properly handle the project but nothing stops any of them from bidding. Without the Drawings and Specifications to define numerous project requirements, the Bidders who are best qualified might have difficulty justifying investing the time and effort required to submit a bid. Better to spend that on projects they have a better chance of getting in the first place, a better chance of having a result they are proud of and a better chance of being more profitable.

I have used several of the Allen & Heath Consoles and love them. Great product from the UK. Bad part was one time i had to send one of the boards back to the UK for Warranty Repairs(not so fun). But other than that one fluke i have had no problems and love the board actually almost bought one last year for our FOH at work but decided to go with the Mackie Onyx 4880 instead. I have the board you are getting though in a theatre that i do consulting work/volunteer at its wonderful used it for several big shows and did the job great. Only thing i wish was different on the console was the headphone jack placement.

I have used A @ H boards on a few smaller gigs clubs @ small theaters and had no problums not sure I would choose one for a install

I have used A @ H boards on a few smaller gigs clubs @ small theaters and had no problums not sure I would choose one for a install
Just curious but why the hesitancy for an install?

I would be interested in the answer too, I'm getting the same board for an install to replace a Mackie.

Curious here, too! My high school (how many years ago was that???) had an Allen & Heath and it was (still is, probably) an excellent console. Someone a few posts back said they are fragile... Aren't all sound consoles fragile? Anyway I didn't see anything lacking in the build quality at all. In fact it was built like a tank. Maybe they were referring to the faders - they have a very light touch, but not hard to get used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back