"Go To" Blue from Supergel/Roscolux

SanTai

As I have said earlier I am part of an amateur organisation doing musicals. I have been running lights and it has been very fun and a learning experience which I take with me to may daily life.

It is low budget and every one is an amateur at what they are doing. When we go on small tours we visit small theatres with very varying equpment. More often than not you do not know what is in house before you are there and if you get some info it is quite often wrong. Renting lightning is out of the question(budget), we use what the house got and use it to the the best of our abilities.

We use mostly supergel since we are not from the USA and we can get some for free from time to time.

We try to bring a few shades of amber and blue to be able to if nothing else create a decent front wash. I struggle with getting a few "go to" blue gels.

So my question is:
Which are your go to shades of blue?(from supergel line)
If you were to bring 3-5 colours to create a front wash(without knowing which fixture/lamps you will have to use) would you bring?(from supergel line)

Last edited:
re: "Go To" Blue from Roscolux

I know I wrote we use Roscolux but of cause I mean we do not use roscolux since we are not in the US, we use mostly supergel. Roscolux is supergel plus a few more colours if I am not mistaken.

Like R60 no color blue is not a part of supergel.

You use such dark colours as R83 and R82 for front wash?

Mis read your post...nah I generally don't use any of Rosco's blues for a front wash cause I feel like they have too much green in them.

Mis read your post...nah I generally don't use any of Rosco's blues for a front wash cause I feel like they have too much green in them.

I also feel the same way. R60, when dimed, become very green, at least in my opinion. If you still need cool front wash colors from rosco, I use R3202 and R3204... which are really just CTB's, so you can get them from any of your chosen gel companies...

re: "Go To" Blue from Supergel/Roscolux

What do you use for front cool wash? Any from Lee?

Edit: And thanks for the edit of the title. Could you chang it to supergel from roscolux, since I apparently left my mind somewhere else while writing.

L201 is my go to FL blue.

Looking at the Supergel range......

I like R62 Booster Blue for its high red content that allows it to stay cool without being overly intense. Can also offset the green tint case that the lenses of many older instruments may output.

For a slightly less saturate blue I would choose 372, and a more saturate would be 371. Keeping in mind, I like blues with higher red content that are somewhat neutral. As such, I also like 55. It is a lavender, but at full is almost a pale blue. It can serve a double purpose if used appropriately by acting almost as an amber at lower intensities (at 25 percent it is a pretty neutral bastard amber).

Going into more saturated colors for purposes such as downlight/toplight, I don't really like any Rosco blue (I particularly abhor 80 which so many like). 68 is ok, but is better as a bright blue side wash.

In the Lee world, I like colors starting around 700'ish, as they are the Lavender blues. Their color correction blues are often too green for me unless used at full, or L202 with the intent to reduce intensity and use as a slightly warm color.

If you want to stick to Rosco, you can also opt for the e-color range, in use in theatres in Europe. the rosco e-color range is similar to Lee, and follows in the basic range the same numbering. In my experience indeed the difference between both CTB's from Rosco and Lee is in the amount of green, adding a harsh look.
We use depending on the needs Rosco E-color 200, 201, 202, 203 When only creating sun/shadow sides we use 203 and 103 or 159.
A combination of some lavender and a bastard amber is also a possibility for basic light.

R64 is my go-to for Frontlight cools as it looks great on skin tones. Lee 201 is my go-to for saturated blues (top/downlight) as it has less red than Rosco does, so less of a purple shift when you dim it.

R64 is my go-to for Frontlight cools as it looks great on skin tones. Lee 201 is my go-to for saturated blues (top/downlight) as it has less red than Rosco does, so less of a purple shift when you dim it.

L201 for a saturated blue?

Just as I has found myself staying away from Rx60 and Rx02, I also have begun to avoid Rx80. Just to much red in it. I like Rx79 much more, and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back