Gobo Changer or Some Other Alternative

Is the light in an easy to reach place? We did a show where we switched between 30 gobo's on 2 fixtures. We put a crew member on the job of switching gobo's. It was their only job.

At 70 degrees there aren't a lot of choices over what has already been covered in this thread. I don't know of any moving head spots that can do 70 degrees. Even a Source Four is going to have issues with maintaining consistent image sharpness if that is important. As has already been pointed out, it may be better to hang multiple fixtures rather than adding in a gobo changer.

If you could describe what you're trying to achieve there may be other options, possibly a short throw DLP video projector would work.

Here is what you are asking for.
http://www.gamonline.com/catalog/sx4/index.php
There doesn't appear to be the ability to index the rotation on the gobo if that is important.
70° is a very wide beam spread for a spot. There are some moving lights that can do that type of spread, the VL 1100 for instance. Now, you have a lot more functionality.
If you give us more information about what you are trying to do, what the environment is, and budget, we may be able to provide more assistance.
Take care,
John

The director for our company's next production wants different gobos shining on our cyc. Each gobo will represent a different character. The location of the fixture will not be accessible during a performance which is why I am looking for a gobo changer or some alternative. I don't need the gobo to rotate. I wanted to use the 70° because the throw distance to the cyc would be very short, it's about 7-8 ft. In terms of budget, I'd like to keep my purchases under $1500.

Last edited:
How many gobos do you need? Are they just going to be stock breakups? Leaves for one character, dots for another...
I would think that either renting the number of fixtures that you need or a moving light is your best bet. Also, consider how you are going to get from one image to the next. With different fixtures, you can crossfade between two gobos. With a physical change, it is a different look of the gobo moving through the gate.
If you are low on dimmers, think about buying or renting some "shoe box" dimmers to use for the effect. Because you will only have one or two on at a time, you can work with their limited wattage capacity.
Hope this helps,
John

So I want to project several gobos using a 70 degree source four. Would anyone know of a device that could attach to a source four that would allow the gobo to be changed? Or could someone suggest an alternative fixture or gobo projection unit that could also serve the same purpose?

Take a look at the Gam SX-4. It will support four b size gobos.

Sorry for this post. I did not see the earlier ones

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back