Gobo Options for VL1100

sross01986

I am working on a pretty colorful show right now. I have four VL1100TSDs. I looked on Vari-Lite's website and found nothing but black and white gobos. Are there any other options that have color like some of the VL3500 gobos?

You can order any V*L gobo for any fixture. If you want color bubbles for a VL1100, you can order color bubbles for a VL1100. Any other gobo manufacturer should also be able to make gobos for the VL1100. They must be glass though, but you wouldn't used metal gobos to get color. Metal gobos in a V*L means bent gobos and a bound up gobo wheel.

They must be glass though, but you wouldn't used metal gobos to get color. Metal gobos in a V*L means bent gobos and a bound up gobo wheel.

This is absolutely correct - funny it's mentioned here because I was just on the phone with VL's lead tech (Patrick Hill) who informed me of the issue.

I believe that metal gobos cause much more maintenance over the life of a moving light. There is so much more heat transferred into the wheel, and then in many lights, into the motors. (many fixtures like studio spot have the gobo wheel mounted directly on the motor shaft.) So, I try to spec glass whenever I can, even for stock patterns.

Yes, we have been asked by VL over the years to please refrain from producing metal gobos for a variety of the VL luminaires due to heat transfer issues. When glass is used however, the reflective coating aids in keeping rotating mechanisms cooler, thus lengthening the life of components within the gobo wheels.

You certainly may get a wide variety of gobo designs within the entire range of fixtures, regardless which patterns are considered stock for various models. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back