Gobo Rotators

Wicked

So, I am looking forward to purchasing Gobo rotators(s), if they are relatively cheap,I was wondering if anyone knew of any place to look in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area

So, I am looking forward to purchasing Gobo rotators(s), if they are relatively cheap,I was wondering if anyone knew of any place to look in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area

Simple Single Gobo Rotator - Apollo's Simple Single (just under $300). Note: no DMX control. From Norcostco and ships from Minneapolis.

If you need DMX control, here's the Smart Move DMX from Apollo: Apollo Design Technology SM MOVE DMX Smart Move DMX Gobo Rotator | Full Compass - about $435, though from Full Compass.

Depending on who is purchasing it (school or you), there may be rules about purchasing used equipment. Otherwise, checking Gearsource or usedlighting.com may be an option to know the price down a bit. If you go that route, make sure you do due diligence to know exactly what you're getting before purchase.

Otherwise, if it's for a certain production, look to a rental house nearby. It would be a lot more affordable. Also, depending upon the make you purchase, a power supply may or may not be included with the rotator which would add to the total cost.

There is a wide range of gobo rotator features, which directly relate to the price you will pay. Before you go looking for the cheapest rotator be sure to figure out which model does what you want. There are one and two gobo rotators, you probably want two for most effects. There are rotators that you plug into an outlet, adjust the speed on a knob and it just goes when it has power. There are rotators that have DMX control to give you fine adjustments to speed and direction on the fly from the console. There are rotators that let you adjust speed but not change direction. At the top of the price list are rotators which are "indexing", which means you can have the rotator start and stop at an exact point every time. The three top names in rotators are: Apollo, Gam, and Rosco. Last time I checked they all made products that have slightly different features. And again, watch out for the cost of additional power supplies and control cables.

As for where to buy. Check out this collaborative article.

A friend of mine insists that no high school needs to own a gobo rotator. Most schools use them, once every other year. Different shows often require different features so unless you can afford a top of the line model that does everything you may find yourself needing to buy/rent a different model in a few years. Often what you really need is several rotators, not just one so you end up renting anyway. Finally, they are expensive to fix if you have a problem. So I do advise you to closely compare the cost of purchasing a rotator (plus power supply and cable) with the cost of renting locally. How often have you done a show in the last 3 or 4 years that you needed a rotator? How many years will it take you to start saving money by purchasing over the cost of the ocasional rental? If you aren't going to start saving money for 10 years, it's a poor purchasing choice.

There is a wide range of gobo rotator features, which directly relate to the price you will pay. Before you go looking for the cheapest rotator be sure to figure out which model does what you want. There are one and two gobo rotators, you probably want two for most effects. There are rotators that you plug into an outlet, adjust the speed on a knob and it just goes when it has power. There are rotators that have DMX control to give you fine adjustments to speed and direction on the fly from the console. There are rotators that let you adjust speed but not change direction. At the top of the price list are rotators which are "indexing", which means you can have the rotator start and stop at an exact point every time. The three top names in rotators are: Apollo, Gam, and Rosco. Last time I checked they all made products that have slightly different features. And again, watch out for the cost of additional power supplies and control cables.

As for where to buy. Check out this collaborative article.

A friend of mine insists that no high school needs to own a gobo rotator. Most schools use them, once every other year. Different shows often require different features so unless you can afford a top of the line model that does everything you may find yourself needing to buy/rent a different model in a few years. Often what you really need is several rotators, not just one so you end up renting anyway. Finally, they are expensive to fix if you have a problem. So I do advise you to closely compare the cost of purchasing a rotator (plus power supply and cable) with the cost of renting locally. How often have you done a show in the last 3 or 4 years that you needed a rotator? How many years will it take you to start saving money by purchasing over the cost of the ocasional rental? If you aren't going to start saving money for 10 years, it's a poor purchasing choice.

Bump to what Gaff said. We, being a high school/community facility, were in the same position you are in. I wrestled back and forth with wanting to purchase one or two for $350-500 depending on manufacturer, model, etc. Usually, it's a much more fiscally prudent decision to rent rotators the one or two times a year you may want to use them for a production. $500 can buy a good amount of cable, gel, twofers, etc...

Apollo Design | Rental Dealers

If renting is still an option, perhaps a quote from this area rental house may help-

Norcostco - MN
825 Rhode Island Ave S,
Golden Valley, MN 55426-1611
PH: (763)544-0601

Users who are viewing this thread

Back