good pre-made dmx cable

Jeffhtg

I buy my audio cable all the time from audiopile - and have been very very happy with their products.

Is there a lighting vendor comparable to them for dmx cable?

$33 for a 25' DMX cable with gold cable / neutrik ends

compared to EWI's audio cable which is 30ft for $21.45 (they dont make a 25')

The audio cable is more expensive to make.. so the prices are not very good for that link.. any other shops that may have better pricing on similar quality products?

DMX cable is not audio cable, so comparing prices is pointless. Well made DMX cable should be Belden 9729 or equal (twisted pair), which would be more expensive. Plus the manufacture is using a 5 pin XLR, which costs more, plus the labor to solder the extra (un-used currently) pins.

As well, ProAdv is about as inexpensive and reliable as any of the on-line vendors, though Full Compass is good as well.

Last edited:
$33 for a 25' DMX cable with gold cable / neutrik ends

compared to EWI's audio cable which is 30ft for $21.45 (they dont make a 25')

The audio cable is more expensive to make.. so the prices are not very good for that link.. any other shops that may have better pricing on similar quality products?
$15.75/ea from cheaplights.com :
137-DMX25MP-L
25 foot MAXPRO, Pro Grade, Heavy Duty DMX Cable. Male 3 pin XLR to female 3 pin XLR. These are top of the line DMX cables! A true 22 gauge cable that is wound 5 times tighter than standard cable and is 120 ohms. You can pay more, but you can't get a better working DMX cable!

Last edited:
As the OP seems more concerned about price than quality, http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/15407-facts-about-dmx.html .

TMB's ProPlex and Tour-Plex is the absolute best, but I've heard (never used) Elation Accu-cable is acceptable for light-duty applications.

Sorry I should have specified 3 pin - I know thats not "pro"

But comparing it to real world pro DMX - well it should be cheaper shouldn't it? Is there an ansi standard for 3 conductor dmx or does it only exist for 5 pin?

The standard only applies to the 5 pin although many manufactures use the same pinouts 1-3 for their 3 pin "dmx" lines.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Sorry I should have specified 3 pin - I know thats not "pro"

But comparing it to real world pro DMX - well it should be cheaper shouldn't it? Is there an ansi standard for 3 conductor dmx or does it only exist for 5 pin?
No, there is nothing about three pin cables. What you are looking for is cable that complies with the standard. Most people that use three pin XLR still use 5 wire cable. There is a twist and resistance requirement that 5 wire meets easily.
The pin has become common be cause the manufacturers started using them to control costs. There is many threads about the standards, how they have become bastardized, and how it is actually most costly to the end user.

No, there is nothing about three pin cables. What you are looking for is cable that complies with the standard. Most people that use three pin XLR still use 5 wire cable. There is a twist and resistance requirement that 5 wire meets easily.
The pin has become common be cause the manufacturers started using them to control costs. There is many threads about the standards, how they have become bastardized, and how it is actually most costly to the end user.

But it is a 2 pair twist correct? In 5 Pin DMX is the Common paired with something else or is it a shield? Wouldn't the appropriate Belden twist cable for the +/- using EIA-485 standard be a "correct" non standard way of using the bastardized 3 pin configuration? In both audio and DMX the common does not have to be a twisted pair correct? Does this not make sense? And then does anyone make this :)

But it is a 2 pair twist correct? In 5 Pin DMX is the Common paired with something else or is it a shield? Wouldn't the appropriate Belden twist cable for the +/- using EIA-485 standard be a "correct" non standard way of using the bastardized 3 pin configuration? In both audio and DMX the common does not have to be a twisted pair correct? Does this not make sense? And then does anyone make this :)

To put it simply, DMX512 is a two pair cable with 5 pin connectors, anything else is not the DXM standard.

That being said, the second pair never got assigned. There are some that use it for non-standard purposes, but true DMX152 makes no use of it.

So, if your equipment will be in a stand alone environment, will using 3 pin connectors and single pair cable cause you any problems? No. As long as the cable is the correct impedance (Data 100 to 120 ohms) as compared to mic cable, you will not have any problems.

Pros:
Much cheaper

Cons:
Mixing equipment will require adapters.
Easy to mix up lighting and sound cables by mistake.
Thinner cable (single pair) may not be as durable.

Caution: If you are using two pair cable with 3 pin connectors DO NOT parallel anything! (If you do, you are creating a tuned RF tank circuit that may bite you in the you-know-where some day!) Just cut off the second pair. (Connecting both drain wires to pin one is ok.)

The big factors in using single pair cable is to use the right impedance cable and one that is durable enough. The circuit only cares about the impedance. For example, in metal conduit runs, Cat5 cable works great.

Last edited:
From lurking at several other (mostly audio) forums some info.
For budget when 3 pin will do, Accu-cable/ADJ/Elation is not too bad. Cable is very flexible and the connectors are satin black. The quality of the connectors is in my opinion not that great, Neutriks they're not. They even include a velcro strap. Even Amazon sells them.
Some people also like the Platinums from this company:
NLFX PSDMX3 :: Platinum Series :: NLFX Professional - Audio, Lighting, Video, Intercom
Prices aren't too bad and they have real Neutriks. I did get a laugh about their description:
" Our premium DMX cable features superior signal transmission while
meeting the USITT specifications for cable properties. Made in USA
with Neutrik connectors. Lifetime guarantee!"

...Most people that use three pin XLR still use 5 wire cable. ...
I doubt this, since there's no benefit whatsoever.

...Caution: If you are using two pair cable with 3 pin connectors DO NOT parallel anything! ... Just cut off the second pair. (Connecting both drain wires to pin one is ok.) ...
BOTH drain wires? Individually shielded pairs?

I doubt this, since there's no benefit whatsoever.

Depending on how you use your cables, there can be a slight benefit. Your DMX snake from FOH to stage can have half as many couple-hundred foot DMX cables if you use splitters at the front and back end of each run to put two universes of DMX into a single cable and divide them into separate cables at the end of the run.

I've only seen this done a couple times.

Depending on how you use your cables, there can be a slight benefit. Your DMX snake from FOH to stage can have half as many couple-hundred foot DMX cables if you use splitters at the front and back end of each run to put two universes of DMX into a single cable and divide them into separate cables at the end of the run.
How is this accomplished using (only) XLR3s? Which is what the discussion was about--using 5-conductor cable with 3-pin XLRs. I thought the two universe over one cable issue was settled here. I suppose though, if one allows the breaking of one rule (XLR3), one can't get too consternipated about another (two universes).

I've only seen this done a couple times.
And I've never seen it done, except for break-out adapters on the 5-pin output(s) of some Avolites consoles.

BOTH drain wires? Individually shielded pairs?

If you cut your cable apart, it better have TWO SEPARATE PAIRS or it really isn't DMX512.

I know there is a ton of what is called "excellent" DMX cable out there that is actually four conductors twisted together with one overall shield. In the computer world, we would call that "dumpster fill." Lucky for the manufacturer, DMX is a hearty signal that is unidirectional, and in most cases only two of the conductors are used. The cable works fine. But....... IT'S NOT DMX! (Despite what is printed on the rubber!)

Proper Construction: http://www.northernsound.net/Sales/...n/westpenn/westpennbulkcable.html#DMX512CABLE
proxy.php

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back