Grand MA?

I know the Iroquois Theater was the largest death toll in American theater history. Perhaps the world... although you would think there must have been a candle or gas lit theater in Europe back a couple hundred years that must have been close.

And Holy Crap MERCURY bath dimmer!! My mom told me in her high school chemistry class they passed around a glob of mercury for everyone to roll around in their hands.

I've worked extensively with the Light as well as the Standard and have always heard it referred to by the vendors as Grand M.....A.... The company is M....A Lighting.

I've worked extensively with the Light as well as the Standard and have always heard it referred to by the vendors as Grand M.....A.... The company is M....A Lighting.

Which is grammaticaly correct. But you'll hear grandmah and the mah as well.

SPEAKING of the grandMA and the actual topic at hand :p

Does anyone have any experience with the whole miniature grandMA line? Like the micro, pico, etc. With so many people going bonkers for the full-size, I'm surprised that I don't hear more about their smaller, cheaper counterparts in smaller shows.

The Pico? All I know is that they're not any cheaper really, just smaller. Oh, I say Grandma. *Shrug*

SPEAKING of the grandMA and the actual topic at hand :p
Does anyone have any experience with the whole miniature grandMA line? Like the micro, pico, etc. With so many people going bonkers for the full-size, I'm surprised that I don't hear more about their smaller, cheaper counterparts in smaller shows.

From what I understand and have read...there's really not much difference apart from size and how many universes each can control. From a programing stand point they're supposed to be identical. I'm actually looking at buying a MA at some point in the next year or three.

Ok here we go.

grandMA- on board 4 universe, Go Button, 3 touch screens, 2 external monitors, and flying faders. Can go up to 64 universes with NSP's (MRSP $52,000.00 USD)

grandMA Light- on board 4 universe, Go Button ,1 touch screen, 2 external monitors, and flying faders. Can go up to 64 universes with NSP's (MRSP $35,000.00 USD)

grandMA Ultra Light- on board 2 universe, 1 touch screen, 1 external monitor. Can go up to 64 universes with NSP's (MRSP $22,750.00 USD)

grandMA Micro- on board 2 universe, 1 touch screen. I believe that you can not expand this one with NSP’s (MRSP $16,250.00 USD)

grandMA Pico- on board 2 universe, Go Button, 1 touch screen. I believe that you can not expand this one with NSP’s (MRSP Cant find it.)

There are other differnces with the physical interfaces but they are the same software. The micro and pico have no networking capablilites.

You do find some of the smaller desks like the light and ultra light at shows. They are used more for playback from a show prgramed on an grandMA.

JH

You also see the smaller consoles as the backup console for redundancy.
You're correct that neither the Micro or the Pico are expandable via NSP

They only problem with useing the smaller console as a tracking back up is that if you need to switch for any reason you wont be on the same controll surface.

I have usualy seen if youre needing a tracking backup for a grandMA you will have a grandMA for that.

Depends on where you are. I've seen MA tracking back ups from full scale right down to MA Online and a replay unit/nsp. Once the show is programed the control surface is just one big yellow button. :)

I once worked a theatre that had a mercury bath dimmer unit. And it still worked, and they still used it. I ran screaming from the room when they told me I had to wear an oxygen mask and a face screen to patch the lights.
When you get old you're memory becomes a mess. For those of you who spotted the error and were kind enough to ignore it. It was of course a high voltage Mercury bath rectifier not a dimmer. It took high voltage AC and turned it into DC to operate an old arc light for an antique projector.
If you lowered an electrified metal bar into a pool of mercury you would simply create a dead short.

personally i love the grandMA light. the size/features are perfect for what I do since my console HAS to be portable and durable. and i've always said it like the relative, but i've heard it both ways

What are you using yours for?

I've used both the Full Size GrandMA and the Ultra Light while in school. They are really the same unit and have the same feel. They just have different numbers of universes and external monitors. I always thought the garden nome guy was creepy...those crazy Germans

Silly germans. :D
sorry to digress, but the german "Em Ah" is the same as the english "Em Ay".

It is a simple matter of how the germans say the letters of the alphabet. I am sure if you would ask a spanish of french person, they would say it differently as well.

Yes, I speak a fair bit of german.
*steps down from soapbox*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back