Grease!!

sheaun

Im doing the show grease and I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas on how to wow the audience or if they have done this show in the past and what things worked for you

Im doing the show grease and I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas on how to wow the audience or if they have done this show in the past and what things worked for you

I had probably the most fun I've ever had on a show on a production of Grease. The car really is quite important - we had an old Ford Zephyr which had been gutted (no engine or fittings) which we then proceeded to fill up with lights. Rope light round the windscreen and in the grille, mini strobes all through it, a fan of pinspots in the back pointing straight up, PAR64 lamps for headlights (fitted perfectly!), MR16 lamps for the indicators (again, fitted perfectly). I think we had a couple of portable dimmer packs in the trunk and just ran power and DMX to the packs to keep the cabling to a minimum. Oh, and it had a smoke machine in it as well.

We also had dry ice by the cartload - for the Beauty School Dropout scene the entire stage was knee-deep in dry ice. Having said that, dry ice can be tricky to handle - the combination of very cold CO2 pellets plus near-boiling water can be dangerous, and I see you're in high school where these things do have to be considered, so maybe hiring a low fogger might be a better idea.

The drive-in scene can be a tricky one to stage - we did it with the two actors sitting in the car facing the audience as if the screen was at the front of the stage, and used a profile with a breakup gobo in it coming from behind through a fairly heavy haze (means you can see the light beams) to represent the projector (I think we may have put a flicker on it to simulate movement). That way we didn't have to deal with actually projecting a movie, plus the audience could see the actors (and hear them!).

Our band was on stage, behind a set of tabs which we flew in and out so the band was visible or not as required, which worked pretty well. It means they can double as the band for the Dance at the Gym sequence as well....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back