Hanging a source four. Access?

gowings

I am currently going to hang a ETC source four some 20 feet in the air with only access being a scissor lift available on a basis of twice a year. My question is does anyone have an idea of using a electric hoist to raise and lower the unit after initial installation. With say a wired remote or wireless remote hoist lift or a simple pulley system that I could string along the ceiling and down the wall approx. 10 feet off the ground along with a safety wire to disengage or engage. Total weight of the unit including Rotator is approx. 20lbs. I do have access at the surface with a ladder of approx. 10 feet when needed if the lift is unavailable. But have to lower it somehow manually etc. if the lift is not in the building. I have attached a drawing to explain the situation.

Attachments

• ETC setup.pdf
    83.1 KB · Views: 430
What's the purpose of the light?

If it's just on/off and doesn't need to dim, consider an HID Source Four. Price tags in the $800's I believe, but it has all the bells and whistles of a standard Source Four plus the added benefit of really long lamp life. Only caveat is that you can't dim a metal halide lamp so you can only turn it on or off.

The lamps are rated for 12,000 hours instead of the 2,000 or 300 that the normal tungsten lamps are rated for.

Basically if you run them 24/7, once every year or two you'll need to change the lamp, but with that long of lamp life, you don't need to rig up some weird system to get to the light if a scissor lift isn't available.

Once every 12-18 months when you've got the scissor in, just change the lamp (whether it's bad or not) and wait another 12-18 months to worry about it again at your convenience.

You could get a small hoist that would do this. It is not going to be cheap. It would probably be cheaper to hang 2 or 3 units with the right color/gobo and just plug in the next one when one dies. The HID unit is also an option. Finally, I would consider going LED. Something like the Coemar LEDko would be a way to go. It has the added benefit of no heat.

I 2nd the little giant ladder solution. You can use a hoist but you need to use 2 to keep your fixture from rotating around on the chain. Hoists run about 1200 each for 1/4 ton. Even if you go with a smaller hoist the price stays about the same.

Your little giant sounds unsafe on a slippery surface and only approx. 10" to lean the ladder against.
I already have the light, Just need ideas to access it if the bulb dies. Getting the lift would cost us $200.00 to get it delivered on site to change a bulb.

Last edited:
I think it would be the Skyscraper model
product_image2_14.jpg

Stands alone on a flat or raked floor
Little Giant Ladder

Anybody know the price on the Coemar LEDko, that printing my own gobo on transparency has me hooked., I need brightness, so at the moment I have 750 watt Source four with a steel Gobo in it.. Shining from 18 feet towards the surface. Approx beam pattern of 8 feet. I would like a larger beam circle 10-12 feet at the surface but the 26 degree ETC was a steal at 75.00 used. Should of looked for at least a 36 degree.

Footer's suggestion seems to be the most common. I worked on an open-ended run show where accessing a certain position required a dedicated work call and specialized workers, so we needed to ensure that we'd never need to access the position at the last minute. We ended up hanging three instruments right next to eachother, circuiting them individually, and focusing each one. Switching which was the "active" instrument was a simple matter of swapping the pin patch at the rack. While I've only done this once, I've heard of it being done on other shows (Ka I believe?) and it seems like it might be the best and cheapest option for your situation.

IMHO, I would vote for changing from the light you have to an ETC S4 LED unit. Has a nice sharp field, color is created by the LED, lamp life is somewhere in the 30K to 50K hours IIRC, (I'm not the lighting guru in the company, so I'm not as "UP" on the specs as she is). Yeah, it requires $$$ but once it's up in place, you won't need to get to it for several years, depending on you total usage. Example, 4 hours a performance, times 8 performances a week times 52 weeks a year only equals 1664 hours, equals about 18 years of life with no lamp change or color change and because of low operating temp, the gobo lasts for ever also. In a setting like a movie theatre in a mall, That would be 12 hrs a day x 7 days a week x 52 weeks a year for about 30666 hours. Even in that setting it would run a year between changes. Just thinking.

We just did a demo of the unit for LD's in the area and I stepped in to see. The unit is impressive. If you go for this unit, you will pay for the extra up front costs by reducing labor, lamp, gel and gobo replacement costs.

EDIT: it was pointed out I did a math No-No, and forgot to clear my calculator before figuring the Mall example: That should read:
7 x 12 x 52 = 4368 Not 30,666. So, 10 years + of no lamp color gobo change in the mall setting.

Last edited:
Very exciting to hear the LED S4 is starting to get shown off outside of ETC.

In a setting like a movie theatre in a mall, That would be 12 hrs a day x 7 days a week x 52 weeks a year for about 30666 hours. Even in that setting it would run a year between changes.
Fortunately, that's really only 4,368 hours. Giving you 10+ years without a necessary change.

My effect is somewhat similar to what you see on the ice surface after a team scores a goal and their logo flashes all over the ice. I am using a source four 750 watt/ single apollo rotator and the results are great at 18 feet away. Just need a wider look say 12 feet wide and a bit brighter would be fantastic. Mine is going to be situated at center ice and throw the steel gobo or color gobo logo seen below (if I can afford) onto the ice. At present its shining a outlined B/W version at one of the entrances where the team enters the arena with the arena lights on and it shows pretty well.

6539-hanging-source-four-access-stars-lo-res.jpg

Attachments

• Stars lo res.jpg
    Stars lo res.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 628
Last edited:
A 36 degree Source Four is going to have an 11' field at an 18' throw; however, depending on the size of your gobo and its pattern, it may end up smaller. A 50 degree instrument will give you about a 17' field, and may work better depending on your gobo size/pattern. You can get a new lens tube for a little under $100. They produce the EDLT (Enhance Definition Lens Tube I think?) which could give you an even sharper projection onto the ice. The HID Source 4 suggested above sounds like a great idea if it fits in the budget, and can be used with any lens tube (I believe - never worked with them).

Very exciting to hear the LED S4 is starting to get shown off outside of ETC.

Fortunately, that's really only 4,368 hours. Giving you 10+ years without a necessary change.

oooops, you're right I must have forgotten to clear a number before I started the last calculation. Mea Cupa .

In the mall example it is 10 years not one year!

I'd go HID Source 4 with the EDLT option, especially since you are likely using a colored glass gobo.

I think He has the fixture and rotator in hand at this point. it is just a matter of access to the unit for service.

If you have free access to the lift twice a year. you could just try to get by with a long life lamp HPL750/120/X and if it lasts the season just change it out when the lift is available.

see this thread: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/scenery-props-rigging/27835-what-barrel-rigging-context.html
looks like the Royal Shakespeare Company has what you are looking for. Rest assured it would be a very costly solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back