Hanging LED PARs from wooden beam/truss

Stuart R

Hi guys -

So I've got a few LED PARs, quite light, that I want to hang in a cafeteria space with wooden trusses overhead (each about 8" square). I'm not allowed to screw or drill into them, and I 'd really rather not do some elaborate, ugly U-strut sandwich contraption (a 16" piece of strut above and another below the beam, connected by long bolts, with the PAR connected to the bottom strut). Do you think I could hang these by tightly wrapping/securing some sort of metal strapping around the beams, having a bolt stick down through the strapping, and then attaching the bolt to the PAR's yoke? Would this be safe/effective, do you think?

Thanks.

Consider this - a metal yoke is holding the fixture now. It also holds a power race to a batten.

Use the same dimention metal. I think it's 1/8 × 1 flat stock. it will bend in a vice. 8" across bottom, up 8" on each side, bend each end 3.5" across top then up 1" . Paint black. 3/8 bolt washer and lock nut on top. Then bolt down into the yoke. Use washer at mid point and under yoke. Be sure to use a lock nut. And safety cable.

I would go with unistrut and threaded rod. It might not look fancy but it’s the safest and most cost effective.

Sandwich the beam with lengths perpendicular and then mount the fixture directly to the unistrut. And of course safety it around the beam for added safety.

As long as safety cable, I have made carpentry 1/2" bar pipe clamps into Side ARM's using side arm Tee's. Main question is how long the install.... if temporary this will work as with some types from the studio lighting industry - vise grips with spud's welded to them type thing. If perminant install safety says something perminant attached.

I've done something like your talking about. I'm assuming the wood beam is part of the architecture of the cafeteria. A down side to hanging the LED light with a wrap around strap is it will mar the edges of the beam. Cardboard under the strap on the corners will help protect the beams. The strap probably won't hold the fixture securely, but, if the beam doesn't move so what? Set the light & aim, then let go and see how much it drifts, then compensate and re-aim. But a simple bump might push it out if alignment so be careful. Test all lights for function & alignment before takeoff nag down the latter, scaffolding, lift, etc. and as has been mentioned, safety strap around the yoke & beam...not the strap.
The other problem is running power & DMX/ control cable...consider wireless DMX or IRS remote control. You'll probably have to custom make power cabling and gaff tape it on top if the beam to hide it as much as possible.

When finished , if the bosses want to check it out, focus them on what is being illuminated rather the hanging solution...a bit of misdirection is always a good thing in your tool bag. They don't need to know the details, just the end result.

Burlap sack or a shitty towel. But if this is going to be permenant you could do some sort of compression foam cut to fit to the unistrut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back