Hanging Mirror Ball FOH

That all being said, I have yet to see a mirror ball that weighed over 10lbs, so rating won't likely be an issue.

proxy.php

Image from This Page

"It measures 7.5 meters across and is composed of a thousand mirrors."

Sadly, I can't find a reliable source about how much the ball weighs. Wouldn't that be a fun thing to have hanging FOH? :twisted:

I love how you can see the reflections on the clouds for like ten miles.

I like that concept, but I would add cross pieces to allow for torque created by moving fixtures later on.
(excuse my horrid Word editing)
Lines are actually square stock, which would be mitered.
Picture 1.png

I would go all pipe. Here's what I drew up. NOT TO SCALE.

proxy.php

I would skip the lights. They would be pointing such that most of the light would go up onto the roof, which unless thats the desired effect, is only half of what you want. A better option might be source 4s off the pipe that the ball is hung from and then 2 more on the deck. If you have too many lights on the cat, this would work, but i fear it would be a bit ugly and kind of screw up the sightlines more than just piping down a pair of source 4s 12" from the cat pipe.

Default Re: Hanging Mirror Ball FOH

I like that concept, but I would add cross pieces to allow for torque created by moving fixtures later on.
(excuse my horrid Word editing)
Lines are actually square stock, which would be mitered.
Hanging Mirror Ball FOH-picture-1.png

You need to add an additional support attached to the cat.

One way im thinking to avoid all the problems is fly a new pipe in using chain to wherever you want it, then attach the mirror ball. I might be wrong, but I just dont think the mirror ball motor is going to torque the pipe around too much. If it is a problem, just make the pipe heavier (and increase your support to compensate). Unless I missed something about adding movers to the rig later, this seems simpler (or just attach the ball to the motor with some bike chain, which is what we do). This whole building thing is probably more complicated than needed, and honestly, if we are considering the entity hanging this to be competant enough to make a lot of good welds, they can probably hang a pipe with a mirror ball on it without too many problems. That said, I still think just making a longer chain is the best solution: no building things needed.

I agree the longer chain or cable is the answer. It is safer, less things to go wrong. Where to put the lights depends on whether you want the reflections on the ceiling or the floor.

IThis whole building thing is probably more complicated than needed, and honestly, if we are considering the entity hanging this to be competant enough to make a lot of good welds, they can probably hang a pipe with a mirror ball on it without too many problems. That said, I still think just making a longer chain is the best solution: no building things needed.
But building things is so much more fun.

+1 for safety cables from the motor (hung on your pipe) until the ball is down where you want it. We've done this more times than I can count with mirror balls on up to 48" in diameter with no issues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back