Has ANYONE MASTERED CHAUVET OBEY70 ? before buying a king kong now

steve b.

I really need to learn how to patch combinations of moving heads and par cans ...al rgbw
my next control will be a king kong

Hi Steve, I have used that controller before with a combination of parcans, moving lights, led lights, hazers, etc...

Learning how to patch on a board like that requires you to have some underlying knowledge of how DMX works and how the console assigns faders to control specific DMX addresses. How much do you know about DMX? If you don't know how addresses correspond to parameters like intensity and color or how to add multiple fixtures to your lighting rig then you might want to start with googling how DMX works and how to do that stuff with Chauvet controllers. I don't really have time to find the sources that I first learned from right now, but I know that you can find more info on youtube. Good luck!

Welcome to control booth, if you have more questions feel free to ask, but try to avoid all caps. It makes it sound like you are shouting at us. :)

EDIT: I'd like to add that I really really really recommend against using that king kong controller. I have seen a lot of Chinese knock off products in lighting rigs and it almost never works, esp. if it's a controller. If your lighting controller doesn't work right than it won't matter how good your lights are or how much time you invest. The show won't look as good as you had hoped.

Last edited:
Hi Steve, I have used that controller before with a combination of parcans, moving lights, led lights, hazers, etc...

Learning how to patch on a board like that requires you to have some underlying knowledge of how DMX works and how the console assigns faders to control specific DMX addresses. How much do you know about DMX? If you don't know how addresses correspond to parameters like intensity and color or how to add multiple fixtures to your lighting rig then you might want to start with googling how DMX works and how to do that stuff with Chauvet controllers. I don't really have time to find the sources that I first learned from right now, but I know that you can find more info on youtube. Good luck!

Welcome to control booth, if you have more questions feel free to ask, but try to avoid all caps. It makes it sound like you are shouting at us. :)

EDIT: I'd like to add that I really really really recommend against using that king kong controller. I have seen a lot of Chinese knock off products in lighting rigs and it almost never works, esp. if it's a controller. If your lighting controller doesn't work right than it won't matter how good your lights are or how much time you invest. The show won't look as good as you had hoped.

Tucker, thx so much for the king kong info ...the reason i wanted to get it was the price, yes from alibaba..and also it came with "shaping" witch i love .
i do know the basics about addressing, chase, steps , assign fixtures I've been working with the obey70 for 4 years now ..but never understood the patching (on the manual does state patching it just says fader assignment ) but never got it to work because i never knew what to do with an empty fader . the rig that i work know is like this :
chauvet obey 70
6 chauvet intimidator 350s (into ch1 ch2 ch3 ch4)
4 adj mini pocket washes . ch6
4 chauvet slim bars . ch6
2 chauvet slim pars . ch7
2 cheap no brand amazon 3xrgbw 3w pars . ch8

now i need rainbow and circle chase Shape fxs

thank you

Tucker, thx so much for the king kong info ...the reason i wanted to get it was the price, yes from alibaba..and also it came with "shaping" witch i love .
i do know the basics about addressing, chase, steps , assign fixtures I've been working with the obey70 for 4 years now ..but never understood the patching (on the manual does state patching it just says fader assignment ) but never got it to work because i never knew what to do with an empty fader . the rig that i work know is like this :
chauvet obey 70
6 chauvet intimidator 350s (into ch1 ch2 ch3 ch4)
4 adj mini pocket washes . ch6
4 chauvet slim bars . ch6
2 chauvet slim pars . ch7
2 cheap no brand amazon 3xrgbw 3w pars . ch8

now i need rainbow and circle chase Shape fxs

thank you

also the reason i wanna patch, well i want only 1 fader for master fader and R G B faders on all fixtures and YXZ tilt pan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back