Hello From NH

JMBrowne

Hello All,

I've benefited from many users on this forum and wanted to join the community to learn some more and help others.

A bit about me.... My day job is a structural engineer with a career focus on heavy lifting. While I haven't come up through a stage rigging career, I've worked on quite a few smaller projects as lead rigger. Flying truss or flying a 100 ton industrial machine is the same engineering and safety rules, really. My avatar is a shot from my most recent major stage rigging project.....rigging our entire production package out and back in our facility during some major structural renovations to the building.

I am currently a tech director for a small historic theater in southern NH. We are a volunteer organization, but our facility hosts many local dance studios, schools, drama companies, political events, and even a recent major media production. But our primary mission is maintaining our historic space and being an affordable, but quality venue for the smaller community groups in our area and supporting the local arts.

I tend to focus on lighting and rigging in our facility and would consider myself a competent lighting engineer, but amateur artistic designer. In most events outside of our facility, I am an audio engineer with about 10 years of consistent experience and own a small rig.

Hope to meet other pros from the area and learn as much as I can from whoever I can.

Biggest area I'd like to grow in right now is how to maximize an older Altman lighting plot to get the most out of it. Even if we had the money, I'm hesitant to convert our system over to newer fixtures (which I do prefer) as I'd like to keep the historical feel of our space.

My ultimate goal would be to have an old school system that is maintained properly and has the proper accessories to get the most out of the fixtures.

I know that venue! I was TD up the hill at the Stockbridge for four years. I'm glad the Opera House is getting some TLC.

What lamp are you burning in those Altmans? If they're 360Qs then you want to go with GLA/GLC (GLA being the long life version you probably want for that venue, GLC the higher output). You'll be very pleased with the improvement if you presently have old EHGs or FLKs. The GLx are HPL inspired filaments, 575W with better output than EHG and not as delicate as FLK. You'll probably find the fixtures need bench focus bad once you swap lamp types, but they probably needed it anyway!

If you've got older radial Altman 360s with EGG/EGE prefocus lamps, I think the best you can do is thorough maintenance-- disassemble and clean, straighten shutters, check for grounding and add pigtail strain relief if missing, bench focus. If kept in good working order they look okay as long as you don't put them next to a source four.

Edit: Ahh, I looked up your tech info. So you already have GLAs mostly. I'd still phase out the FLKs in the 6x9s and 22s. Clean and bench focus and those are totally fine fixtures, even mixed in with a source four system. Aside from the 6x22s. My flashlight is better than those.

Last edited:
Thanks Colin.....I don't think we've met, but I believe I've heard your name before. Weirdly, I've never been in Stockbridge.....I have no idea how I've managed that in all my years in production in the area. Heard its a great space. Closest I came was when we picked up your old projection screen. Rigging that bad boy into our space was a fun day.

Our website is a bit out of date...updating it is on my to-do list. We are running all GLA's now in our ellispoidals, although I've been happy with the GLE's I put in our FOH trees this week for LHS's musical. Seem to compete better with our 750W fresnels. A bench focus party is badly needed. I tried to use some of our Altmans for gobos this week and some of them are quite out of whack. Had to rent a few more S4's.

Totally agree on the 6x22's. I'm curious to play with them lamped at 750.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back