Hello, my name is.....

Magzilla

Magzilla The Destroyer, but you can refer to me as Magzilla.
I found your page by googling, "audio video consultant using revit" because that is what I do. My office makes technical drawings and plans utilizing both AutoCAD and Revit. Making drawings in AutoCAD is super easy, but trying to make something that works in revit, well, that takes much more work. I am hoping that this forum will be a good recourse with people who do what I do. I would like to know how they build their families and their circuits.
I am not an acoustics engineer or electrical engineer so even though I have been working at my current office since 2011, I still feel like I should be doing things a little differently in my revit files.

A little background on me, well, I have been working as an architectural drafter since 2003. When I was in 8th grade I decided that I wanted to be an architect, then a couple years later I learned all the other things architects had to do, so I said, "screw that!" It was decided at that point that I just wanted to draft, I wanted to do as little as possible with all the legal crap that architects had to deal with. I graduated high school in 2000, started to go to school at ITT that summer, got my BAS in Industrial Design in 2003. A few months before I graduated I landed my first drafting job at an architectural firm that specialized in Christian schools and churches. From there on I have worked at a few other architectural firms.
December 23, 2009 I quite my job so I could prepare for my new baby that was due in a couple of weeks and be a stay at home mom. I didn't get a nice two week "nesting" period, I got a lousy 2 days, had my baby on Christmas. What a shocker! Actually, it was awesome, except my house was a wreck from doing holiday stuff.
Anyway, when my baby turned 1 1/2 I went back to work. I went back to the firm I was at but it wasn't working out so well because of how they were trying to manage their business with how the economy was at that time. A friend of mine told me about the CAD/BIM manager opening at the company that I work for now.
It is kind of funny how things work out. Every architectural firm I have ever worked at used my current company as a consultant at some point.
I didn't know if I was going to like the work, because I was used to working on the architectural stuff, but I have to tell you, I think my job now is far more interesting than my architectural jobs. I always feel like I am learning something new, the technology that we spec out changes constantly so you have to do a lot more research, the tools we use change also so we have to keep up on that.
When I started here the previous CAD manager did not utilize Revit, and event though I really had not used it before, I had just gone through tutorials, I promised my company that I would learn and do my best to implement Revit for our designs.
And that is how I got here. I kind of feel like I am plateauing because of the fact I am not an engineer and our office only does A/V electrical work. I feel if we were a full on electrical company we might be able to handle our circuitry better. Because of the fact that all of equipment goes to cabinets and not panels I can't get things to always work properly.

Perhaps one of you could point one mean destroyer of all things in the right direction, please?.....

Welcome to the booth! We do have a lot of AV consultants that post frequently, I'd recommend you post your question over in the Sound, Intercom, Etc forum to see if someone can help you out. Not everybody checks this one too often.

Welcome. Ditto the above and if your looking for "help with Revit" use that as a heading with tags for key words. The more detailed your questions they more specific the answers.

Welcome aboard, Magzilla- don't be a stranger!

:)

Welcome! I agree that you should post in the Sound forum, regardless not sure how many would be using Revit, but I'd be interested to find out. I myself thought about following a similar career path (did not). Now it's been so long since I've used AutoCAD that Im not sure if I could remember how to do many things well (especially in the newer versions).
I don't exactly have the money to burn on a personal copy of AutoCAD or Vectorworks.

Great to see people from different areas of the industry active here, as this is such a diverse industry! I love seeing some of the varied opinions and approaches and such different people with different experience share here.

Cheers,
Steve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back