Help needed with making a gobo

ChaoticMoth

Hi all
Need a bit of advice. I'm wanting to make my own Gobo as part of a plan I have to ask my partner to marry me. Been looking into making my own gobo and have read that the base of a pie dish can be quite good. What is the best way to cut it though? I'll be glad of any thoughts/tips/ suggestions.
Thanks

I've looked at getting a custom one made but was hoping to save a bit of cash, if doing it myself. Plus don't really want to pay for a custom gobo that I'm only going to use once.

check local rental houses, theres a chance they might have something if they do weddings. You never know.

I've looked at getting a custom one made but was hoping to save a bit of cash, if doing it myself. Plus don't really want to pay for a custom gobo that I'm only going to use once.

I understand the desire to be frugal, but I would suggest that you Keep it in the back of your mind. I personally have never been very good with the pie tin razor knife approach. My memory of my last custom steel gobo was under $100 and a week or so wait, and it was so much better than I could have done with a knofe.

pie tins work well for things that do not need a sharp defined edge.
keep in mind that any miss cuts or odd details/ mistakes are enlarged many many times. and the pie tin may have a short life depending on detail/fixture/lamp
it is likely worth your time to cut one out and take a look at the results, but leave yourself a week or two to get a custom one made if necessary.
check http://www.goboland.com/uk/cpage.php?keyword=price

Another possibility just occurred to me.

There are fixtures that will let you use a gobo " printed" on a piece of plastic with an ink jet printer. Since this is for a one time / one day use you might talk to the rental houses in your area to see if they have something in stock to rent that you could use for this. Might be cheaper than a custom gobo, and you could have colors as well.

Gobos can be made using a etching process, but it has been too long ago for me to remember it. Might be able to find something online, but you have to buy those supplies. I suggest a video projector. Many more options and the possibility of multiple images.

I think you should buy the custom gobo. It could be repurposed for a paper weight or made into a night light that could last forever with the right LEDs behind it. Just my opinion.

It's not so much a case of not wanting to SPEND the money it's a case of not really HAVING the money. As about re thinking the question we've been together almost 5 years (living together for 2 years) and a lot of thought has been put into it. Some really amazing suggestions here everyone. Love the idea of turning into a paper weight, but also like the idea of a projection too.

I have used heavy tin foil in a gel frame before. I don't know what type of fixture you're using, but i found that you have to make the image many times smaller than you think. One time I've done it was for a situation similar to yours. Ended up carving some wood for her instead due to a dimmer issue. Congrats dude

Sent from Taptalk for Android, this was.

I think you should buy the custom gobo. It could be repurposed for a paper weight or made into a night light that could last forever with the right LEDs behind it. Just my opinion.
Honestly, this is my favorite. Afterwards you can frame it or something. My wife would love to have something like that hanging on the wall to remind her of the day.

Good morning (in the eastern US, if not the UK) Mr Moth,

There are a number of LED powered profiles on the market that will allow you to print full color photos on acetate.
I know that we (Chauvet) make 4 units in our DJ line for just this purpose.
GoboZoom 2.0
GoboShot 50w
LFS5d
EZ Gobo

I would imagine that there are several similar products from our competitors.
Check with your local rental/Event/Wedding planners... one of them is bound to have a few in-stock.
printing your own gobo, and borrowing a fixture (or renting one) is still less expensive than buying a gobo, and the effect is usually nicer.

Of the units listed above, the GoboShot 50w takes the largest gobo size (D-size), which will allow you to have the most detail in your gobo.

Good luck... I hope she is suitably impressed!!!
-Ford

I tell my DJ clients that buy custom wedding gobos to mail them to their customers the Thanksgiving following the wedding with a red ribbon attached to use as a Christmas Tree Ornament.

I tell my DJ clients that buy custom wedding gobos to mail them to their customers the Thanksgiving following the wedding with a red ribbon attached to use as a Christmas Tree Ornament.
Sounds like a good way to add one more star to your Yelp review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back