Hey, I thought we could share pictures of our shows...

Current corporate show, from the front:
proxy.php

And my view, between the curtains masking Houselight Control Area:
proxy.php

From our final indoor production of the year: The Three Fairy Godmothers. I love Children's theatre! Except 5:45 is a bit early to get up...

Note: The flash from the camera really washed out the cyc - blue turned grey, purple turned blueish grey, and red turned blotchy - plus it added some enormous shadows!!! I'll add in the no-flash picture of the set and light design when I get it.

[IMGL]http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m443/lieperjp/DSC_0842.jpg[/IMGL]
[IMGL]http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m443/lieperjp/DSC_0820.jpg[/IMGL]
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Gobo courtesy of Bill @ ESC made by our good friends at Apollo.

Projected thru a Source 4 with a 36 degree lens.

Photo taken on my phone.

Attachments

• 090526perrales.jpg
    090526perrales.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 295
Mounds View High School's production of Beauty and the Beast, these aren't the greatest quality pictures, and I don't have pictures of all the scenes I wanted to, but here is what I have. I designed the set and lights. This was the first show that I designed the lights, btw.

proxy.php

Belle

proxy.php

Forest (it's kind of dark...)

proxy.php

Kill the Beast!

proxy.php

Kill the Beast!

Jack MVHS that looks great, I would just be careful with the height of the platforms in comparison to the height of your curtain borders. In your first picture it appears as though their heads are brushing up against the black drapery.

Jack MVHS that looks great, I would just be careful with the height of the platforms in comparison to the height of your curtain borders. In your first picture it appears as though their heads are brushing up against the black drapery.

I know, that annoyed me beyond belief, but I couldn't do anything about it. The platform was designed to be 8 feet tall, but we lowered it to 7 feet because of the curtain. We have very very little fly space, and the curtains are raised all the way up, so that unfortunately couldn't be solved. They look closer to the curtain in the picture than in real life as well, the camera was at a higher point than the audience's heads when it was taken. The actors were about 1-2 feet shorter than the curtain.

Hopefully I will get some more pictures of the other scenes soon that I can upload!

Thanks for the feedback!
~JackMVHS

When you consider the price of the three other fixtures (because of RGB mixing in the COLORado 1 fixtures), gels, dimmers, cabling, etc required, it comes out about right to fully justify the cost of the lower end, higher power LED fixtures.

"Welcome to Dreamland!" Here it is folks, the closing production of PTC's 08-09 season, Miss Saigon. This one was quite a production with helicopters and lots of scenery. It was kinda like scenery tetris backstage. So take a look and let me know what you think. Questions and comments are always welcome. If you want to see more photos, you can find them here.

Here is the Overture:
proxy.php

Followed by Dreamland (The Heat is on in Saigon):
proxy.php

It took about 8 hours to setup and wire the Dreamland sign. I also had to totally rewire the striplights that hang on the bar as well (hard to see in the photo). They did a 4 circuit chase in parts of the scene.

Moving into act II we go to Bangkok:
proxy.php

Check out the faux neon. We did that all out of ropelight. There is also 250 feet of string light that we built, attaching lamp bases on 2' centers. It looks great with the 11W sign lamps.

Then of course there is "Lady Ace 09" the last helicopter to leave the US Embassy in Sigon on April 30, 1975. Also the iconic image of the show:
proxy.php

For the sentimental types out there, here is one of Chris and Kim:
proxy.php

And of course, "The American Dream:"
proxy.php

Can you name all the people?

So, as I mentioned before, feel free to ask questions or give comments. If you want to see more photos of this show you can look here or here. If you missed one of my other shows or want to see what I have done in the past, visit my website.

Pictures from my season. These are all from Rock Ballets contempary ballet set to Queen, INXS and David Bowie.

I still have to pick more up from the ballet and go through them for the rest of the shows.

Attachments

• Rock5.jpg
    Rock5.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 271
  • Rock8.jpg
    Rock8.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 261
  • Rock11.jpg
    Rock11.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 259
great work icewolf ! I do have one question, I see that you have a stage break up in most of the scenes, what fixtures did you use to be able to punch through the wash lights?

great work icewolf ! I do have one question, I see that you have a stage break up in most of the scenes, what fixtures did you use to be able to punch through the wash lights?

It is one of the "trademark" systems that the LD uses. There is a full stage downlight template wash of 26˚ SourceFours lamped at 575W with no color. The template in this show is R77780, in Les Mis it was cobblestone, and I forget what it was in The Producers. Simple and effective.

It is one of the "trademark" systems that the LD uses. There is a full stage downlight template wash of 26˚ SourceFours lamped at 575W with no color. The template in this show is R77780, in Les Mis it was cobblestone, and I forget what it was in The Producers. Simple and effective.

hmm alright then. Im surprised it cuts through the was lights so much. Would you say thats because its a 26˚? also do you know how the trim was, seems like a lot of instruments.

hmm alright then. Im surprised it cuts through the was lights so much. Would you say thats because its a 26˚? also do you know how the trim was, seems like a lot of instruments.

First off, I lied, they are actually 36˚ units. There are 24 in the system. The trim from deck to batten is 27'. As for why they really punch is probably a combination of factors. The floor treatment for this show happens to take light very well. Many scenes are generally on the dimmer side as we put a lot of people in followspots. This allows us to be more "artsy" with the rest of the design. We don't even have to run that system very hot to get the pattern to punch.

Punching through the wash is easy with templates. The hard part is punching through front lights with a template wash and balancing the two out so that you get a feel of the template without the unnatural looking template showing.

I have found that 90% of the pics in my portfolio, a first year LD student could put together. The key I have found (and I am sure you see this a lot too Ice) is that a great designer can have the scenes that take your breath away and make the pics and still have the rest of the show look really good. Transitions between scenes and subtlties are what makes a good designer great.

Mike

PS Awesome looking show by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back