Hey, I thought we could share pictures of our shows...

Original High School Play: Paramythe

Hey! These are pictures from an original play our director wrote.
It is in our Little Theater facility. I am from Sioux Falls, SD and was light designer for the show. The facility has only 30 channels of control, but is equipped with Source Four ERS and ParNel fixtures. No automated fixtures were used. This is my first post! Go ahead and tell me what you think.

Thank You! Click on any one of the pictures to view it larger.

Last edited:
This video is of a dance that was choreographed for a high school Shakespeare competition, and was later done at a school assembly.
(sorry, I have never been able to upload media like you guys prefer. I think it might be this computer, but most likely my incompetence.)

It was choreographed by two alumni, and one of them also put the track together. Some of the moves were taken from their own choreography from West Side story, where the three were in the "Somewhere" dream ballet. The guy who plays Romeo is actually a gymnast, which kinda shows, and the other two are pretty much hands down the best dancers in the school, and they are also all three in drama.

I did the lighting, and my brother did the filming and editing. The original sound was lost somewhere in the process of a broken tape, but the picture was salvaged, and the original music combined with my brother's quick attempts at making a banging sound at the end when he hits the floor. This was all edited with Final Cut at our school.

One thing that the video didn't capture which was my favorite part, and of many others (my brother didn't notice cause he was filming intently) was that I used the lights on the female dancer, and the break dancer on the walls (Juliet and Tybalt), using symbolism in colors used, and crossing sides of the stage. The lights projected these two on opposite sides of the auditorium. There was a lot of gasping when Juliet appeared 20 feet tall on the left side, but again, the original audio was lost.

I probably gave a lot more information than any of you care to hear. Anyways, enjoy, and comment if you want.

Here are some pics from the church I just started with. just got the lighting set up done last week i am pretty happy with it. Enjoy !!!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Attachments

• P3196086.JPG
    P3196086.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 277
I recently was the Lighting designer for a production of "The Laramie Project". This was in our black box theatre at The school for Creative and Preforming Arts located in Cincinnati Ohio. It was a lot of fun, and a powerful performance.

SO what do you all think ?

Last edited:
Looks good, I love that cool lighting, fits the show well. I am curious did you do many specials for isolation on different parts of the back wall?

Also since you are in Cincy, you should check out Jeckle and Hyde when it moves to cincy in a few weeks, the floor gag should wow you along with the rest of the set, and the lighting is pretty sharp for that matter, but that's off topic. I had the "pleasure" of working on the thing when the show was mounted here...

Looks good, I love that cool lighting, fits the show well. I am curious did you do many specials for isolation on different parts of the back wall?

Also since you are in Cincy, you should check out Jeckle and Hyde when it moves to cincy in a few weeks, the floor gag should wow you along with the rest of the set, and the lighting is pretty sharp for that matter, but that's off topic. I had the "pleasure" of working on the thing when the show was mounted here...

As far as specials go for the back wall it was only separated as SL&SR walls on one dimmer and the small center "Hope" wall on a dimmer. I did this for several reasons. 1) since it was so broken up to get adequate isolation it would have taken up many dimmers and I only had 36. 1.5) The "Hope" needed to be on its own because hope is a reoccurring element throughout the show and a very strong element at the end of act II. 2) I wanted a lot of isolation as far as areas and I also wanted quite a bit of specials.

Do you know what theatre Jeckle and Hyde is going to?

Six down, and one to go! It is that time again, we just had our archival photo call for the sixth production of our season: Dial "M" for Murder. here are a few photos, for more please feel free to pop over to the full gallery. As always, questions, comments, and criticism is welcome!

Set shot:
proxy.php

"Not like that you clot!"
proxy.php

Murder Mayhem:
proxy.php

Newspaper Clippings:
proxy.php

Final Scrim Through:
proxy.php

Hope you all enjoy the images! If you missed any of my installments here, or want to see more, there is always my website.

Hey Icewolf!
I saw Dial M a couple of days ago, great work on the lighting! Everything was phenomenal! During the show I was wondering why the set designers made the back wall so thin that it rippled whenever the door was slammed (I'm sure you know how techies pick up on the smallest details) but it all made sense once it was revealed as a scrim in the end scene - very nice!

Beautiful venue too. Though I was wondering why you have your beam closed in?

It was my first time at Pioneer, but definitely won't be my last. ;)

Last edited:
Hey Icewolf!
I saw Dial M a couple of days ago, great work on the lighting! Everything was phenomenal! During the show I was wondering why the set designers made the back wall so thin that it rippled whenever the door was slammed (I'm sure you know how techies pick up on the smallest details) but it all made sense once it was revealed as a scrim in the end scene - very nice!

Beautiful venue too. Though I was wondering why you have your beam closed in?

It was my first time at Pioneer, but definitely won't be my last. ;)

Thanks for the comments!

As people often use different terminology for things, which beams are you referring to? Assuming you mean the FOH positions (which we call beam 1 and 2), they have a safety fence on them, for exactly that reason. They don't effect the light at all and they prevent people and gear from falling. If you are referring to different positions, let me know, and I will give you an answer. Also, next time you are around, just give a shout and I can give you a tour.

Hey, really nice--I love the look in that last picture, the entire scrim wall. Really cool.

Agreed, this is really cool! It looks very solid in all the other scenes. Was there a blackout drop behind the scrim for the majority of the show, and then flown out for the scrim effect, or was this done solely with lighting?

Agreed, this is really cool! It looks very solid in all the other scenes. Was there a blackout drop behind the scrim for the majority of the show, and then flown out for the scrim effect, or was this done solely with lighting?

There is a drop behind the scrim wall that flies out just before the scrim-through. However, it isn't black. i don't remember what color it is, but they picked on that made the scrim have the same tonal qualities as the rest of the walls. In fact, all the walls are covered with scrim so that the texture is uniform on all the walls.

Here are some pictures of The Wiz from March 6-8 at my high school. Tips, tricks, and ideas are willingly accepted---but we've tried every trick in the book on our cyc, nothing seems to work.

Addaperle in Munchkinland:

proxy.php

Dorothy trying to get home:

proxy.php

Scarecrow:

proxy.php

Tinman:

proxy.php

Poppies:

proxy.php

Dorothy and Lion:

proxy.php

Brand New Day:

proxy.php

Y'all Got It?

proxy.php

Here is a rap show that we did last week. If you read my thread in the punching bag, you know I did not enjoy it.
There were people standing in front of me the entire night so I could never see the stage. Also the artist yelled at me from the stage that he didnt want the spotlight on anymore.

Full album here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back