Hey, I thought we could share pictures of our shows...

Re: Hey i thought we could share pic of our shows

OKAY. Let's try this again. Somehow, none of the 3+ sites I've tried to imagelink from have actually worked. So, since I saw johnhirsh use photobucket and he successfully imagelinked, I'll give it a try.

Here are some white pics that give you a pretty good sense of the rig.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And these are some pictures of before the show, just some static looks I thought looked pretty cool.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

(that's me in that last photo)

proxy.php

(I hope this isn't too many pictures)

And now, the best during-show photos. If you guys want, I can post some more (I have some great ones, I picked out the 20+ best photos but I'm not going to bombard you guys with the rest if you aren't interested)
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

wow that is a cool setup. let me guess professional theater right?

at my school we have conventional fixtures and very few at that. I want to have the technical director request some moving fixtures, but the odds of that happening is 1 in a million.

What are your wash fixtures they look like 600s or studio colours but i cant tell.

JH

Response to mbandgeek: Nope, we're a high school. Everything shown is rented.

Response to JH: The washes are Studio Color 575's, but I may be interested in getting 600's next year.

Response to soundman: All "dead hung" (I think?) with spanset and shackles. Wish we had motors, but too much $$.

wow so how much does that rental cost you and how do you manage that much money? Also what are the spot fixtures and what are you controlling it by?

//Also wouldn't mind seeing more pics

Haha, then I can post some more.

The spot fixtures are Mac 700's (Some of the most amazing things I've EVER worked with. CMY mixing on a spot fixture? What?!).

The control board was a Martin Maxxyz. I had uploaded a picture of our booth setup a while ago, but considering I finally got the stupid imagelink to work, I can just link it up here. Give me a couple minutes...

edit: My bad, our entire lighting budget (including rigging, cable, flash rope (not seen) and other expenses) was approximately $8,000 USD.

More pictures of the show:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And the booth setup, not counting the 2 lycian midgets/3 Altman Luminators set on the ground in front of the platform the boards were on:
proxy.php

man thats something else, I have rig envy....

Haha, I'll take that as a compliment. :D (Thanks?)

Meanwhile, my director has already told me that my budget is going to be slashed in half or more for next year. Poo.

Dude look at the post i did before yours The pics of buried child i had mac 600's there terrible. Do not get them. I had 3 with major problems and there slow as hell the only advantage is the colour mixing system doesnt give you that really ugly dicro lines. it does a smooth job of mixing the dicros but hey do what you want but 575's are much nicer and punchyer.

How did you like the console. Im more of a grand MA guy but hey to each there own. Lol as long as its not a hog eh?

JH

ps. there is nothing wrong with the hog but its too much about words and i work better with graphic interfaces.

Huh, missed that. Thanks tons for the advice though, probably saved me some trouble.

As for the Maxxyz, absolutly loved it. Took 5 high school students with no prior experience on it and one semiexperienced college sophomore about 3 days to program most of a show--colors, movements, cues, I don't think there was much more that board could do that we could explore. (Yeah that's probably a lie, but you get my point). But no, absolutely loved the Maxxyz, made everything very simple.

Never used a Hog actually, nor a GrandMA, but I've heard the GrandMA is really good too, very intuitive.

Last edited:

Never used a Hog actually, nor a GrandMA, but I've heard the GrandMA is absolutely great.
The one time I managed to get my hands on a pair of mac 550's I used the hog pc with playback and recording wings and really loved it, things just made sense once you got the hang of it. (But then again I read the manual cover to cover before the show) It is heavy on the text as jon said but I normally use an ETC board so that was a non issue for me.

Also for wash fixtures look into the The High End color commanders, they have a 700watt(or something around that) and a 1200 watt version. I had the opertunity to play with one at theatre fest this year and it was a solid fixture.

Yeah I had heard about that too, as well as the fact that they had irises, which is like, a supermajorplus. Did you have issues with noise though?

I tested it in a ball room with lots going on so I can't really give you a good answer on that one, sorry.

EDIT: A quick check of the product page on HE's site doesn't show an iris here, and I don't think I have ever seen a wash fixture with that, it can zoom though. (If that reply was directed at jon and not me just ignore me)

Last edited:

My Mac 600's were washes so they dont have iris they have zoom, frost, colour, and Shutters. There ok units but im not a big fan.

As for noise there is an intresting Phanomenon that if you have 18 fans in a medium sized room buzzing non stop from when the audiance enters to affter they have left they dont notice them. it becomes the room tone. So i dont wory about noise any more keep in mind this show was a theatrical not an musical or concert where noise is usualy an issue but it wasnt.

I am glad you found the hog to suit your needs for programing; its really a prefernce thing. That is why there are soo many consoles out there to choose from.
JH

Hm. I had heard that the Studio Commands or whatever they were had irises in them--strange for a wash fixture I know--and I got excited (like I said, you dont see wash fixtures with those every day). But, like you JH, I haven't been able to find any mention of that anywhere.

By the way, what did you mean by zoom, pie4? I might have missed that, but I dont know what you'd mean in a wash fixture context--you mean, change the size of the field? (Er, do you mean zoom like a leko zoom? Because hell, that'd be even better than an iris)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back