Hey, I thought we could share pictures of our shows...

Re: Hey i thought we could share pic of our shows

DarSax said:
By the way, what did you mean by zoom, pie4? I might have missed that, but I dont know what you'd mean in a wash fixture context--you mean, change the size of the field? (Er, do you mean zoom like a leko zoom? Because hell, that'd be even better than an iris)

Yeah thats exactly what I ment, zoom doesn't have the range that an iris does, but it still is a very handy tool to have. I prefer zoom over iris though mainly because you can get the fixture brighter and it will cut through ambiet light better in the haze zoomed to a low degree.

jonhirsh said:
by zoom i mean hmm how to expalin, its spoting a fresnel. Its not as exciting as you would think. it just reduces the pool of light. But on lets say my Mac 2ks (a profile fixture) then zoom is exactly like zoom on a source 4.

JH

I think I see what both of you mean. Still cool.

And, since I feel we're getting off topic (but hey, this is very useful, I thank you guys for responding)
proxy.php

proxy.php

I think that's about it for the good pictures, I don't want to crowd out everything else anyways D:

Well i did start this thread a million years ago so if it were to go off topic i am glade its my fault. so on a side note, i was just wondering is this the longest runing thread? how would i find out if it is.

JH

DarSax, that looks really good. teh senic elements look really cool. what did you use to light those?

Haha, it's actually funny you ask that, because I had written that all out in a completely different thread, in special f/x--let me find it...

ER, actually, I bet those pictures I linked in there still don't work for anyone except me. Here's how I did it, with newly done pictures:

"
We actually do that stuff every year with our Talent Show, and believe me, it is amazing. Well, not exactly the cyc/platform contrast (thats a cool idea), but the lighting up of the set is basically what makes our sets so cool from year to year.

There are actually a ton of different ways you can do the desired effect. For the last show I did, we actually used 3 different methods to do it.

proxy.php

First was under the platforms themselves, just as you described. We covered the entire thing with some Rosco tough spun (I forget the number, I think you can find it in most swatch books though), bought in rolls and stapled on. All in all, we should have used diffuse rather than the spun most likely, but it still looked amazing. We enclosed the other walls with luan and put 4 studio colors under there. Was very cool.

proxy.php

Second was was for the lockers (the set was a school). You can see that the two outer lockers are basically big translucent sheets with paper lockers glued on. What we did was use a circular saw (it was luan) to make large cuts in the wall. Then, behind, we set up a 2x4 frame so the wall would be stable and we could staple on the diffuse. The material is simply Rosco diffuse, and to light them I put two Altman zooms on the floor behind and to the side and cropped them.

The inside ones were a bit more complex. They also were a complete pain to make. The lockers, though you can't see from the photo, are actually built so they stick out of the wall. Using 2x4's, luan, and a whole lot of measurements and planning, I (yeah I did these myself. NEVER AGAIN.) (Not the effect, it was amazing; I'll just make other people create the effect next year) was able to make frames of the lockers, with walls seperating each locker. From there I stapled on more Rosco diffuse. Then, with a saw-zaw, I cut holes in the floor under each locker, and alligned the lockers over each hole. By putting fresnells underneath (see picture below), each locker was able to be lit up with a different color. That is, until the director decided that he liked them all the same color. UUUUUURRRRGHHHH.

proxy.php

The door was yet ANOTHER story, and the biggest pain of all. We had to cut out the shape of the door from the luan (including cutting through 2x4 supports). We then attached 2x4's to create the frame. We then used more Rosco diffuse to cover it, and, using 4 or so fresnells in crazy locations (bolted to the floor, to the walls, everything) to light it all up."

At only 12 grand a fixture i dont really see that happening, I only use more expensive lights :) Hmmm 20 DL2's next show muh ha ha ha

JH

lol, I can hardly imagine how you would even use 20 dl2 fixtures.

easy. since i wouldnt want 20, only like 10, sell 10, get a lot of the mac700's, both wash and spot, and use those with the other 10.

Well it was kinda a joke. and i dont think there is any supplier in toronto who has that many DL2's.

JH

Whoa, thanks a ton for the heads up on that 700 wash, that looks amazing.

That, and we were thinking about DL2's this year for renting. And then we realized, we didn't need a show at all. So for next year, we're planning on having no acts, no bands, no people, no set, and just one DL2 sitting on the floor in the middle. That'll be our show. If time permits, we'll have music too.

:grin:

I've gotta say.... we got the Beta Collage software a couple of weeks ago..... MIND BLOWING...... seriously... my hat ended up on the back wall...

Drews right, I saw a video of it on HES's website. Looked awsome but I think its a trick to get people to rent four instead of one :)

What, the DL2? I thought they only had a DL1 video up, though I may be mistaken...

...oh well, thing's rediculous anyways. I think it had more potential then that video really showed, but oh well. The fact that every you can use one DL2 as a camera and another to project what the other one sees is absolutely REDICULOUS. Can you imagine strobing DL2 streaming video on a wall? That'd be sick.

We got our two DL2's at the begining of this summer. We are hoping to power them up sometime in august (trust me it has taken some restraint to wait this long, but weve had three shows) They are gorgeous instruments. We may even get High End to come out and demo an IPC with the DL2's to show us what they can really do.

And to be on topic, I am going to try to post some pictures of our opening season soon.

these pictures make me soo jelious! my theatre has a very low budget ($0). all our money comes from our shows. We only have fixed lighting instruments, and we only have 36. :( but at my highschool we are luckey to have a theatre!

Dont worry, that's where most of us got started, in that same situation. Having no budegt makes you very good at doing the most with what you have. If you have all these fancy toys, somtimes you can "cut corners" and not really step back and think about things. Someday you'll be able to go to college or get a job somewhere where you will have a budget and get to use more varied equipment!

Peter said:
Dont worry, that's where most of us got started, in that same situation. Having no budegt makes you very good at doing the most with what you have. If you have all these fancy toys, somtimes you can "cut corners" and not really step back and think about things. Someday you'll be able to go to college or get a job somewhere where you will have a budget and get to use more varied equipment!

I found this very true, I compared the designs Idid for the talent show where I didn't have moving lights with the one were I had two and I think in the end my traditional one was better becasue I didn't get as caught up with the toys, and desinged a lot larger.

Here are some pics from a recent show of illusions we did at my school. I designed the lights. Enjoy!

Attachments

• shower3.JPG
    shower3.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 361
  • subtrunk2.JPG
    subtrunk2.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 392
  • subtrunk8.JPG
    subtrunk8.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 409
  • Chamber4.JPG
    Chamber4.JPG