Hey, I thought we could share pictures of our shows...

Re: Hey i thought we could share pic of our shows

Here are a few shots of the first non-commercial performance of Les Miserables in the USA. Staged at the Pioneer Theatre in Salt Lake City, UT. The run continues until June 30, with the possibility of extending into July.
You can view the photos here.
Please note all Design elements in these photos are copyright to the respective designers.

Beautiful set. I have not seen Les Mis without the turntable design.

timokay said:
I have not seen Les Mis without the turntable design.

That has to do with the fact that all of the productions before this year were done by the same people. I think it also really makes the staging and setting of scenery much easier.

Here are two pics from a fashion show I did yesterday- an absolutely kickass show with a mean lineup of gear-

10 Martin MAC 250 Entour
4 Martin MAC 250 Wash
6 Martin Mac 600
6 Martin Color 400
6 Martin RoboScan Pro 918
4 Martin MX-10
4 Robe ColorMix 250AT
2 250w MV UV lights
1 Antari HZ1000 Hazer
36 Par 64 CP62
2 575w HMI Followspots, we'll not mention the manufacturer
1 Martin Lightjockey
1 Stand 200 (For generics)

Attachments

• PICT1015.JPG
    PICT1015.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 346
  • PICT1012.JPG
    PICT1012.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 348

I attempted to post some images from my recent shows a while back but I finally got them on the internet for all to see. Here are two separate albums from two shows I designed, programmed, and MEed this year at my high school.

The concert, entitled Everstock, was a showcase of local bands. It really was a one off with very little programming time (not to mention the whole rig was done on an Express 48/96 which as most of us know is not the most mover friendly board).

The show was the school edition of Les Miserables. Programmed on an Expression 3x, its maxed out somewhere around 350 cues and 190 instruments.

Plots and sample instrument schedules are included. More images available upon request.

Les Miserables:
http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa110/jlechter/Les Miserables 07/

Everstock:
http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa110/jlechter/Everstock 07/

It is amazing what you can do with haze when you don't have to follow AEA rules...

For my own edification, what is AEA, what are their rules? I'll take a stab at it: American Entertainment Association?

No...It's actually Actors Equity Association

Its basically a union for actors and stage managers. Many professional theaters and almost (if not all) broadway shows require performers and stage managers to be part of it. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong in something I said)

Its basically a union for actors and stage managers. Many professional theaters and almost (if not all) broadway shows require performers and stage managers to be part of it. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong in something I said)

Wow! I wasn't thinking straight, eh?

I've spent enough time on controlbooth to know about the Actors Equity Association, I just never put the acronym to the name.

That pretty much hits the nail on the head. The reason I mentioned haze is that if you go to the AEA website and look up the guidelines on fog and haze they are pretty strict. The reason for that: Les Miserables! Basically it means that we have to do a lot of figuring when we want to use fog or haze in a show.

Wow, what interested me most was Jezza's house lights for Everstock.

That's so cool. I wish that my school could do little creative things like that. A lot of our techs just get caught up with wanting fancy equipment, when there is so much you can do with "just" a Src 4.

I never could have come up with that. That has seriously made my day.

Hey thanks. Our very antiquated mechanically dimming house light system totally fritzed in the beginning of the year. Despite hours of babying and rewiring and cleaning, the only solution was to rewire the system for ON/OFF.

So my solution for the shows that we have done since is to use some of our instruments to fill in. For Everstock it was those big rectangles on the wall that undulated with our house music. For Les Miserables, I don't have a good picture of it but because I was so incredubly short on dimmers, I pointed the VL2500s out to the house and shot them up against the walls with a prismed "block" gobo and threw in some cyan. During intermission I tossed in some magenta into a few of the fixtures to reflect the change in the mood. Simply "GO"ing to black wasn't an option esthecially for either shows. I think its important to bring the audience into the magic of the show as well. Make them feel involved from the very start.

Ha in reference to the haze. Well yes, its great what you can do when you don't have AEA breathing down your neck, or rather choking and coughing. The type of camera that was used to take these shots doesn't do a great job and controlling the highlights so at times it appears as though there is more haze in the air then there actually was on stage.

However, for Les Miserables I won't deny it was pretty well fogged up. The way that we imagined the show, it really needed it. Given the lack of scenic elements, the atmosphere was great for making it appear as though we were sort of in limbo as opposed to still in a black box and was a great way to evoke shapes out of the light which weren't actually present on stage. Also, I used a tremendous amount of top/backlight for this show which really emulates the haze.

There were seens such as during the barricade battle scenes and Javert's Suicide where I just held down the submaster controlling the F100 USC for a few seconds to really blast the place. That thing was beautiful in making the ACLs USC really look like muzzle or cannon fire or to hide Javert as he jumped from the barricade (which magically tranformed into the bridge) into the river. When I get a better shot of that part of the show, I'll post it. Really one of my favorite moments.

The only complaint I got from actors was about the smell. Oh well, tough. Obviously, I'll have to be more careful when I start working in union houses but its nice to play around in high school and see what really works best for you.

BTW Everstock emlployed the use of a Reel FX DF-50 and Les Mierables used a LeMatire Neutron XS and High. End F100

Hey guys,

Here are quite a few shots from our High School's show "Grease."
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventthumbs?event=0CC4003R

Unfortunately many of them are close-ups of the actors and you can't get a great idea of the whole lighting look onstage, but they're decent and there's a whole bunch of em'. (Not taken by me)

Rig consisted of 8 CXI's mounted pipe ends as high sides, S4's, a slew of house 360Q's, and a mirror ball.

BTW Jezza, pics look AWESOME! The haze looks great, I wish I could really haze at our venue with out having to worry 'bout the smoke alarms. Again, looks GREAT!

gonna try to revive this thread once again!
These pictures are from Xtreme Dance Force's 2007 showcase. All conventional rig, the only toys being two gobo spinners and 3 ellipsescans.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

made by our good friends at apollo through chicago spotlight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back