Hey, I thought we could share pictures of our shows...

Re: Hey i thought we could share pic of our shows

I am overly envious. I really...really...really wish that I could come down to see that...but I'll be doing a dance showcase.

I'll definitely tell my aunt and cousins to go to it, as my cousin goes to Whitman.

Close but no cigar pyrus ;)

It's fun, but also incredibly stressful, have to figure out what to do with everything! Not to mention the show's on Thursday, and my original design team of 4 is now down to 2...I'm kinda going crazy O.O

Close but no cigar pyrus ;)
It's fun, but also incredibly stressful, have to figure out what to do with everything! Not to mention the show's on Thursday, and my original design team of 4 is now down to 2...I'm kinda going crazy O.O
yeah, I hadnt realized there was another page. I deleted that assoon as I saw my error.

Just loaded out this morning. Sigh...at least people loved it, I heard nothing but raves.

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/558773812nEtlJQ

proxy.php

And for those of you who helped out on my projection topic, everyone loved the live feed. I heard from several people directly about how "professional" it made the show.

proxy.php

Last edited:

Is it possible? Yea, anything you see there (except for the mid-motion shots) would be doable with any conventional equipment, you just have to position them and gel them however you want. I just had the option of creating a huge amount of static looks from only several instruments.

Yeah RickBlue,

you'd need some narrower ellipsoidals (6X16, 6X22, 19*, 10* 5*) and a hazer to get the beams to really define nicely.

Those pics really look great Dar. Looks like you did a bang-up job. I like the truss design with them slightly as an a frame. Also how in some scenes the Mac 700's farthest on the side truss ends wash the ceiling looks soo cool. I like the contrast of beam directions. What did you use to control the show? and was it on the fly?

These are from my high school's dance company concert "Orchesis", and from our winter musical production of "Ragtime"
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

For this, it was a fogger with a S4 strobe cap behind it. There was a box fan with a piece of dryer vent hose from the fogger on top of it. The fan was plugged into a dimmer and controlled from the board.
proxy.php

That's a real 1930s Model A
proxy.php

That house was built by us. It's all on casters and weighs around 700 pounds.
proxy.php

proxy.php

We built the stairs, and installed 4 striplights inside them.
proxy.php

The entire Ragtime crew. I'm the guy on the left climbing the truss tower.

Last edited:

Dar,

Was there a reason the band in that shot was so spread out? Seems to me a band with 5 pieces, an acoustic guitar, a vocalist sitting on the floor, etc., would be doing something very intimate feeling and wouldn't want to be so far apart.

These are from my high school's dance company concert "Orchesis", and from our winter musical production of "Ragtime"
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

For this, it was a fogger with a S4 strobe cap behind it. There was a box fan with a piece of dryer vent hose from the fogger on top of it. The fan was plugged into a dimmer and controlled from the board.
proxy.php

That's a real 1930s Model A
proxy.php

That house was built by us. It's all on casters and weighs around 700 pounds.
proxy.php

proxy.php

We built the stairs, and installed 4 striplights inside them.
proxy.php

The entire Ragtime crew. I'm the guy on the left climbing the truss tower.

SAWYer, Nice work, two of your pictures aren't working. The house was double posted as the car, the group shot redirects to home.

SAWYER, go to the page with the pic right click it and hit "copy image location" and then pos that here.

Thanks, beltsvillecrucib and len! The beams you're talking about on the ceiling show one of our position presets we went back to a couple times when running out of time for programming. I looovvee aerials and blinders, and I thought they added depth to the stage.

We used a Hog 2 to control everything; my two associate designers and I learned the board on Hog2PC weeks beforehand, and I patched everything into the board/set up basic palettes long before the board arrived.

Except for the finale (ran out of time!) the entire show was run off of cues and cuelists. I'm very, very big on the lights syncing up/flowing with the music perfectly, and running things on the fly wouldn't have allowed huge drum hits or music breaks to be accompanied by suitably huge lighting effects.

As far as the "intimate feel," I do see your point, though all in all I never noticed it during the actual show. The lights (I think a few of the pics are outdated) were aimed based on the unchanging positions they took, so it could take on an "intimate" feel without having to be close together--the performers all have their space, creating that "smaller" feel.

And Sawyer, I like that billowy-fabric type thing. What is that? Just a folded over scrim? Either way, it looks very cool. (Or as you called it, bad-ass)

The billow-y thing is a large, large piece of plastic that we fed aircraft cable through. The plastic was hung off one lineset, and three pieces of cable were another 5 or 6 back, with the middle cable being shorther. Between dances, the plastic and cables were flown in and hooked up with carabieners. Then the lineset with the cables was flown out while the plastic stayed in place. The cables pulled the plastic and POOF! Instant bad-asssery.

I also have fixed the errors with my pictures. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Dar-
-Looks like you guys had a nice amount of toys to play with. I like the idea of using a real scenic element for the talen show instead of a black surround or a scrim...makes it more "high school" ish. But back to the question of using conventionals to gain the same effect as many of the movers, I've got some images here from one my more recent shows at my highschool which to me was the perfect plend of conventionals and moving fixtures that demonstrates how they can both be used effectively. This too used 4 MAC700 Spots and around 80 conventional instruments in one fashion or another.

Yeah, I had gotten 25 pars (you can see 4 of them!) I was going to use them to accent the movers, but last-minute craziness and scheduling difficulties didn't give me any time at all to work with them. So I got to use them for a few blinders (behind the set as you can see, and a few on some lighting trees for blinders/aerials), but all in all I wish I had more time to use them as I had planned.

Won't let me see the pics, probably have to be friends with you?

Here are a few shots of the first non-commercial performance of Les Miserables in the USA. Staged at the Pioneer Theatre in Salt Lake City, UT. The run continues until June 30, with the possibility of extending into July.

You can view the photos here.

Please note all Design elements in these photos are copyright to the respective designers.

Last edited:

Here are a few shots of the first non-commercial performance of Les Miserables in the USA. Staged at the Pioneer Theatre in Salt Lake City, UT. The run continues until June 30, with the possibility of extending into July.
You can view the photos here.
Please note all Design elements in these photos are copyright to the respective designers.

For my own edification. What does "non-commercial" mean? I've not come across this term before.

Non commercial refers to the fact that we are a non-profit regional theatre. Up until this year the only productions of Les Miserables (aside from the school version) have been produced exclusively by Cameron Mackintosh in a for-profit, commercial venue. This includes all of the National Tours and Broadway performances.

This year the rights for Les Miserables were released to 7 regional theatres throughout the USA with the stipulation that all performances of the show have to finish by August 1, 2007. Pioneer Theatre happens to be the company with the earliest opening date for the show.

We sold out the entire original run of 3 weeks in the first few hours that tickets were on sale. Every time they announce an extension there is a line of patrons out the door they day they go on sale. If you want to see reviews of the show and a pre production photo gallery, visit the Salt Lake Tribune website. The review is a little bizarre because they raved about our cast and the performances, but call Les Mis in general, a bloated over-the-top show. Go Figure...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back