Hi guys and Gals!

JohnnyA

My name is John but they call me Johnny A. I've been doing lighting and a bit of sound for several years now for several bands. This is a hobby of mine and the bands don't pay much but I enjoy the music and the festivals, so it remains a hobby.

So I'm looking to expand my equipment and now looking at Wi-Fi for DMX. I'm looking at the cheap stuff like AMerican DJ WiFly and Chauvet D-Fi (remember it's a hobby). I'm really trying to find out if either of these two solutions, (or others recommended by you) will work with all my fixtures. I'm scouring the internet and seeing things like my gobo doesn't work with D-Fi and other examples. Maybe I have a simplistic approach that the tx and rx are just sending digital signals, so I don't know what the potential problems could be. Any thoughts or suggestions are deeply appreciated?

Hey there John, welcome to the booth. My recommendation is to form your question a bit more thouroughly in the Lighting and Electrics forum. You will want to put a list of your control system as well as the fixtures that you want to control via the wireless systems. If you are working in high traffic environments (for wireless bandwidth), you may run into control issues as well.

Happy Posting.

Welcome aboard, Johnny A- we'll see what advice and experiences can be passed along to you in this unique hobby of yours.

I purchased an inexpensive wireless DMX transmitter/receiver set for my own personal non-gratis work, this particular system has served me very well. Mind you, there are no other wireless lighting signals in my space but wireless 2-4 mics are often the norm. No issues whatsoever with the AM DJ WIFLEX system. This is not a Broadway production, nor is it video taped for later broadcast, etc. No cues are dire or necessary- so in the event the system malfunctioned, it would not create a lawsuit. ;)

So in a nutshell, the system purchased is working fantastically. If I were bucking wireless traffic with the philharmonic or a mega-church Easter service, I would be sure to dry run the system completely at the rehearsal prior to the event.

Your milage may vary-

Welcome to the ControlBooth Johnny A!

:clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back