Hiding mics in props and set

EustaceM

Is hiding wireless mics in props and the set really effective? For one show I hid one mic pack in a desk and taped the wire in between two books that were kept together with book ends. I used a few mics and hid them around the set because the director demanded that no actors were to be mic. I kept getting feedback from another mic and it distorted the sound somehow a tad bit.

The mics were Sennheiser EW.

The situation you explain sounds preposterous. If a director demands that no actor be miced, but still wants amplification then the method you go about describing is very ineffective. The director cannot get it both ways - either he/she lives with the reality of actors in microphone or lives with the reality of an un-amplified performance.
You could use boundary and hanging mic's - though I do not think the efficacy of these types of microphones is worthwhile in most settings (that isn't to say they aren't useful tools to help amplification, I just personally find that in most settings directors want miracles out of these tools)

The series receiver/transmitter you were using is a Sennheiser ew - but what series (G1, G2, G3?) and what type of microphone were you using (ie Sennheiser MKE2, Countryman B3, etc.)

Of note: One mic will not cause feedback with another mic. Feedback is a loop created when a microphone is picking up its own sound from a speaker. This loop will keep on attempting to amplify itself - creating feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back