High school stage managers? a quick question....

As The Stage Manager at our school, I always have my normal tech crew including ones in the booth to black out. We typically ask any large or dangly earrings to be removed but studs and such have not been an issue. My personal dress code how ever are Nice dress pants or khakis with dress shirt and tie. Because not only do I run things I try to be out in the house greeting people making them feel welcome which I feel like is just as important as calling a show. My ASM wears a nice black dress black flats or heels and does her hair all nice. (For those of us with female ASM's):dance:

As The Stage Manager at our school, I always have my normal tech crew including ones in the booth to black out. We typically ask any large or dangly earrings to be removed but studs and such have not been an issue. My personal dress code how ever are Nice dress pants or khakis with dress shirt and tie. Because not only do I run things I try to be out in the house greeting people making them feel welcome which I feel like is just as important as calling a show. My ASM wears a nice black dress black flats or heels and does her hair all nice. (For those of us with female ASM's):dance: How do you feel on differentiating SM and ASM from the rest of the crew?

As The Stage Manager at our school, I always have my normal tech crew including ones in the booth to black out. We typically ask any large or dangly earrings to be removed but studs and such have not been an issue. My personal dress code how ever are Nice dress pants or khakis with dress shirt and tie. Because not only do I run things I try to be out in the house greeting people making them feel welcome which I feel like is just as important as calling a show. My ASM wears a nice black dress black flats or heels and does her hair all nice. (For those of us with female ASM's):dance: How do you feel on differentiating SM and ASM from the rest of the crew?

Do you not have a House Manager? While I feel that the two are important, I have found that Stage Managers are generally pretty busy during that time between house open and curtain. I'd recommend losing the tie while you're backstage as a safety measure. I also feel that the heals are unnecessary and provide an unneeded safety hazard - the ASM (and SM) are part of the crew, as I see it, and should be willing to pull sets and otherwise respond to emergencies at a moment's notice. I do not think there is an operational need to physically differentiate SM/ASM's between normal crew members, and it sounds like more of an ego thing (we've all been there ;) ). You make yourself stand out in the way you carry yourself and lead others.

Sorry - I don't mean to pick on you. I'm sure you're very good at what you do. These are just my opinions and nothing more. :). Welcome to the booth!

Last edited:
I think it depends on the event. If I were backstage for a recital, then black dress pants, black dress shirt, and my black leather steel-toes. However, if I am doing lights for the opera or stage managing then black jeans and any black shirt will do, although I usually lean towards a collared shirt if I am SM. When I record or mix for the jazz band then ususaly something nicer, usually with a tie.

I do have a strange habit of wearing a tie on closing night. Guess its good luck...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back