Hit by lightning

Edinftl

I had a lightning hit seconds before a show and lost control of all lights. (400 patrons in the dark). I have an Express lighting board from etc. I called the etc support line and was told that I blew a dmx chip. Where can i get one and is it something that I could install myself.

Since the Express is discontinued, parts will probably have to come from the factory... although a larger repair shop may have one kicking around. Call ETC back and ask them where to get the part and if it's a fix you can do yourself. Call your local repair shop and ask them if they have one in stock by chance.

AND before you hook it back up make sure you buy a good surge protector.

Even if you do take it to a local repair shop they may need to send it back to ETC to repair. I would think about asking if you can get a loaner and send it back to ETC to have them go through the whole thing. I have a friend who just got a used Express he's sent it back to ETC for a few repairs and general cleaning. He's going to have a "new" console when it's all done.

I had a lightning hit seconds before a show and lost control of all lights. (400 patrons in the dark). I have an Express lighting board from etc. I called the etc support line and was told that I blew a dmx chip. Where can i get one and is it something that I could install myself.

In theory, it's a simple fix - new DMX output chip

In reality, you don't know if that's the only issue. If you had no UPS on the power side and took a hit, I'd want ETC or a factory service center (Litetrol) to take a look, 'cause 'ya never know what else they might find - and can then fix while it's at the shop.

Taking the "brick" off the console and swapping the chip is a tricky process as it's very easy to get the brick mis-aligned when re-attaching to the facepanel. If you don;t know what the Brick is, then you've answered the next question which is "am I knowledgeable enough to fix this ?". I personally would not attempt this, and I've used an Express for 10 years.

Steve B

Gafftaper and SteveB are both right, this is a tricky repair that is best done in a ESD protected envrionment such as a repair shop or the factory.

Remember there are two DMX Out ports on an Express console. In a pinch, if you are only using one universe of DMX, you can swap your cable to the other port and configure it to output the same universe.

To configure the DMX ports:

[Setup] [2] [Enter] To display the Output Configuration menu

Select the port you wish to change using the arrow keys or by typing the number of the port.

Press [S3] and then enter the starting output number (1, 513, etc...) and press [Enter]

[Enter] again to confirm the change.

The DMX ports each use their own chip. This means that if you have one that is down, you may still be able to use the other port.

just a fun note: I was struck by lightning once. I don't recommend it

While doing an outdoor show at the local historic Gaol lightning struck the wall arced to our light tower, down the tower with a technician in contact with it.
His cellphone was no good after, he was thrown back, but otherwise okay.
We had to replace a few fuses, and lamps... Other than that everything was okay. The show went on again the next day.

just a fun note: I was struck by lightning once. I don't recommend it

I used to work for a psychologist who did cognitive research on people who had been. Pretty fascinating population. Some of the changes they went through were pretty universal to them but occurred VERY rarely in other people. Wish I could remember what they were (it was 20 years ago I worked for him).

Sorry, forgot the /humor tags.

I thought it was funny... but Dionysus is the god of wine and debauchery so his standards of what makes something funny are probably pretty high.

I thought it was funny... but Dionysus is the god of wine and debauchery so his standards of what makes something funny are probably pretty high.

I think you hit it on the nose Gaff :p... And yes I did GET the joke lol. Actually I found your post more entertaining Gaff.

Once when I worked an outdoor theatre on the outskirts of Vegas we had to call off a show do to a lightning storm.

As I was battoning down the hatches for the night I noticed a family standing under the tallest tree around, arguing about whether or not they should be standing under said tree. Remembering my kindergarten education and looking somewhat offical I walked over and mentioned that they might not want to stand underneath the tree do to the lightning strikes.

The wife was pleased, because this was her argument as well.

The husband on the other hand looked me dead in the face and said...

"What its not like its make out of metal or anything!"

In Scouts we instruct groups to spread out over a wide area. If by some chance a lightning strike does result an injury the chances are improved that somebody in the group will still be conscious and able to render first aid.

I have to say the thing that scares me the most, is when i'm out in our backhoe and it starts lightning. Something about being in 7k lbs of steel, that stands up at least 12ft in the air.

Back to the subject of the Express board DMX output chip. The Chip is a 75176 transceiver with 8 pins. It is used in most all RS485 communications. They are available at many electronic supply houses, for about about $1.00. In the Express, threre are four such chips. One each for the two output universes and two for the Remote focus Unit. They are all on sockets and easily changed. In a pinch, one of the RFU chips can be placed in one of the output sockets, to get you by in a hurry.
Yes, getting to the chip is a little tricky and you can do some damage to the board if you are not careful. There are more than a few tricks involved, but once done correctly, it is a 10 minute job.
OK, now you can start the Rant about my giving too much detail to unqualified novices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back