Hooking Light Clamps to an I beam

I learned my lesson with the wood block hack ... even without splitting, they slip. One nonprofit venue I support has unistrut hanging from threaded rod, with blockfilled clamps and ancient instruments. Step 1 was safety cable, which have saved people and instruments a few times. Still $ raising for real schedule pipe.

Wonder - how many Fresnel drops a safety cable can sustain before it needs replacement?
Wow, Why not simply go to using strut nuts and bolts? So much safer.

So I understand guys in these locals have trouble lifting their wallets.
@venuetech Back in the era when fitters, plumbers, finish carpenters and electricians were paid in cash, during your first year they taught you how to read. In second year they taught you how to add up over a thousand without removing your boots.
In third year they taught you attach a chain to your wallet.
In fourth year they taught you to wear suspenders to hold your pants up with your wallet in your pocket.
In fifth year they taught you to purchase a winter coat with a pocket sturdy enough to contain your wallet on the inside.
Some guys learned to play payday paycheck poker for the full amount and still go home to face their wives.
Some guys learned how to pass the bar and proceed directly home on pay day.
Some who learned to pass the barre went on to become ballet dancers, others who passed the bar went on to become lawyers. Apprenticeships changed big time when payment shifted from cash to checks.
Change isn't always for the better but would buy bubble gum.
Posting from north of Donald's walls. @Dionysus Care to comment?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
Wow, Why not simply go to using strut nuts and bolts? So much safer.

This is confusing me too. Just like people using c-clamps on I-beam flanges. They make hardware for both applications, and they are usually cheaper than a c-clamp! They even stock them at Home Depot & Lowe's.

This is confusing me too. Just like people using c-clamps on I-beam flanges. They make hardware for both applications, and they are usually cheaper than a c-clamp! They even stock them at Home Depot & Lowe's.

I think it might simply be lack of knowledge about the hardware. Folks from a straight theatre background have, most likely, not been exposed to 'real world' hardware. Also, it might be installed upside down.

I think it might simply be lack of knowledge about the hardware. Folks from a straight theatre background have, most likely, not been exposed to 'real world' hardware. Also, it might be installed upside down.

I think you're probably right that there's a lack of crossover in knowledge of industrial hardware. I grew up around the stuff, so I sort if take it for granted.

I also think a lot of people have a very binary way of thinking about rigging lights, as if the clamp is part of the fixture and it's sacrilegious to do anything different. I've seen people balance a clamp on a wood beam of a set when a lag bolt would have done nicely. "buuut how der i gert thirs c-clermp ter werk?!"

Last edited:
I think you're probably right that there's a lack of crossover in knowledge of industrial hardware. I grew up around the stuff, so I sort if take it for granted.

I also think a lot of people have a very binary way of thinking about rigging lights, as if the clamp is part of the fixture and it's sacrilegious to do anything different. I've seen people balance a clamp on a wood beam of a set when a lag bolt would have done nicely. "buuut how der i gert thirs c-clermp ter werk?!"

Learning hardware and threading standards really demystified so much for me. All those knobs and bolts aren’t that special once you’ve found their part numbers in the McMaster catalog. Heck even spending time looking at grip and film equipment opens a whole new world.

Gets more complicated when you are told that the fixture listing includes the clamp, or so I understood from ETC in discussing their clamp.

Gets more complicated when you are told that the fixture listing includes the clamp, or so I understood from ETC in discussing their clamp.

I thought it was more properly interpreted as the cast iron c clamp is *only* rated when used as part of the listed Source 4 assembly. Use that clamp for another utility purpose and it loses its rating.

I thought it was more properly interpreted as the cast iron c clamp is *only* rated when used as part of the listed Source 4 assembly. Use that clamp for another utility purpose and it loses its rating.
Perhaps that's a clearer way of saying it. The clamp is not, as best as I know, actually rated with a safe working load. No one publishes or claims it's good for anything EXCEPT for holding a Source 4 - which it derives from the listing.

PS: I did say it gets complicated.

Perhaps that's a clearer way of saying it. The clamp is not, as best as I know, actually rated with a safe working load. No one publishes or claims it's good for anything EXCEPT for holding a Source 4 - which it derives from the listing.

PS: I did say it gets complicated.
Assuming you are talking about general cast iron clamps here and not the light-source megaclamp, which AFAIK is rated for general use.

Wonder - how many Fresnel drops a safety cable can sustain before it needs replacement?

Officially, one and done.

Safety cable has a "Zero" load rating as it is never to be used to actually hold anything in place.

Any safety cable with a kink is unsat.
Any safety cable that has ever had to catch anything is unsat.

My first Local One gig had an instrument "jump" off the pipe to be caught by its safety during a rehearsal.
They re-hung the instrument, fitted a new safety and cut up the old one on the spot.

I once watched a hired "inspector" ding a theater for 35 safeties with kinks and he demanded they be destroyed in his presence.

It was explained to me that while the safety may still be integral enough to catch that S4 a second time, can you prove it?

In today's litigation love-in, messing with safety is a serious thing to be avoided.

I have seen IA folks do some boneheaded stuff but nearly all of the time doing it right (albeit deliberately i.e. slowly) was what occurred.

To the OP: Get I-beam clamps!

Assuming you are talking about general cast iron clamps here and not the light-source megaclamp, which AFAIK is rated for general use.

Not any cast iron clamp but ETCs which was tested with their instruments for the listing. And most often - I think always - I specify the rated clamps - available from at least The Light Source, Apollo, and Doughty. Always Light Source or Apollo submitted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back