Control/Dimming How do dimmer packs work?

hi,

I have 10 lights, that need to be hung for an outdoor production. The question is, my 4 channel dimmer packs, I have 3 but don't know how to run the edison plugs into the dimmer pack and where to place them around the truss for the production. if anyone could help that'll be great thanks.

clyde

Hi Clyde,

First off we'd need to know what knid of dimmer packs you're using, lights, wattages, and how you intend on channeling the show.

Honestly though if you're asking this question you might want to find a qualifed proffesional in your area to help out.

stemiclelights, is this the same question as here: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/general-advice/11848-stage-setup.html ?

You have three options:
1. Put the dimmer packs near the power source and run 10 (probably long) extension cords from the fixtures to the dimmers.
2. Put the dimmer packs on the truss and run three (probably long) extension cords to the power source and 10 (short; some lights can probably plug directly into the packs) extensions from the packs to the lights, as well as control cable.
3. A compromise between the two above options.

Some notes:
Cables used on a stage are required by the NEC to be Extra Hard Service (Type S or better), so no extension cords from the hardware store.
The parallel blade U-ground "Edison" connector is only rated for 15 amps at 120 volts, so no more than 1800 watts can run through any one connector.
Many 4-pack "shoebox" dimmers say they are 4x1000 or 4x600 watts, but can only run 1800 total watts safely.

Tell us more about the set-up, sketches and drawings are good, and we'll be able to help further. Contacting a qualified professional, possibly from the nearby university or professional theatre, is great advice. If you are renting the lights (and sometimes, even if you're not), your local friendly lighting vendor will be able to provide excellent advice.

stemiclelights, is this the same question as here: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/general-advice/11848-stage-setup.html ?

You have three options:
1. Put the dimmer packs near the power source and run 10 (probably long) extension cords from the fixtures to the dimmers.
2. Put the dimmer packs on the truss and run three (probably long) extension cords to the power source and 10 (short; some lights can probably plug directly into the packs) extensions from the packs to the lights, as well as control cable.
3. A compromise between the two above options.

Some notes:
Cables used on a stage are required by the NEC to be Extra Hard Service (Type S or better), so no extension cords from the hardware store.
The parallel blade U-ground "Edison" connector is only rated for 15 amps at 120 volts, so no more than 1800 watts can run through any one connector.
Many 4-pack "shoebox" dimmers say they are 4x1000 or 4x600 watts, but can only run 1800 total watts safely.

Tell us more about the set-up, sketches and drawings are good, and we'll be able to help further. Contacting a qualified professional, possibly from the nearby university or professional theatre, is great advice. If you are renting the lights (and sometimes, even if you're not), your local friendly lighting vendor will be able to provide excellent advice.
hi,

thanks for the reply.

The stage is 16 wide by 18 feet deep.

I have 4 ETC S4JRs

2 6'' fresnels

4 Par Can's

the setup i havent quite figured out yet. I could use some advice on that.

yes i looked into getting professional help, but they charge money.

thanks again

hi,

I have 10 lights, that need to be hung for an outdoor production. The question is, my 4 channel dimmer packs, I have 3 but don't know how to run the edison plugs into the dimmer pack and where to place them around the truss for the production. if anyone could help that'll be great thanks.

clyde

The "Outdoor Production" caught my eye. It means you must also factor in the effect of rain on your dimmers, lights, and wiring.

Clyde...

Danger, Will Robinson!

Are your dimmer packs, lighting instruments, and cable rated for outdoor use?

If not, please don't put your venue, yourself or anyone else in danger.

I mean no disrespect, and I obviously am not familiar with your gear or your venue. Just pointing out a warning flag that popped up when I read your post...

-Abby

Users who are viewing this thread

Back