How do I begin getting into Previsualization software?

KLM

Hey, everyone. My boss told me he would like me to get into Previsualization so that we can cut down on the time we have to spend in our spaces. I have no idea where to start! The only time I've seen previs in action was during the Ion training videos, and it was pretty cool. I have no clue what kind of software would be best, how much we could expect it to cost, or how difficult it is to learn. I am very willing to learn, though!

We have an Ion and all of our work computers are macs. We've also got Vectorworks, if that is at all relevant. We are an educational institution, so if there are any discounts for software for schools, we would like to get in on them. Eventually he would like to have all of our venues completely rendered and able to be sent out to touring LDs.

Any recommendations, advice, or suggestions would be highly appreciated! Thanks.

Most pre-viz software ( Lighting Visualization Software - ControlBooth ) has a working, limited demo, or try-before-you-buy, version for free download. WYG and ESP Vision are arguably the best (and most expensive). Vision 3 MAC is one of the few (also Capture) that will run on Mac OS, and also imports very well from Vectorworks. An advantage of WYSIWYG is that it purports to offer three functions: drafting, paperwork, and viz, in one package; as opposed to using three products: Vectorworks, Lightwright, and Vision.

Ideally, you'd want to run the console OLE ( Off-line Editors for Lighting Consoles - ControlBooth ) on one machine and the visualizer on a networked other. Having multiple, large displays on both machines is always a plus. The learning curve on any can be steep, but as with most things, the output is only as good as the input (and the skill of the programmer/operator).

... Eventually he would like to have all of our venues completely rendered and able to be sent out to touring LDs. ...
If this is an important goal for you/your boss, you need to poll your potential LDs to find out what pre-viz they use (if any), as I believe all the file formats are proprietary.

Last edited:
I have used and loved WYSIWYG, but it is NOT cheap, and is a Windows only software. Of course, we had it running on a partitioned iMac, but that's because we had people willing to set it up to do it. Coming from a backround in Vectorworks, I found the transition into WYG less painful. Heres the online store: https://cast-soft.com/cast/store/index.php

I firmly believe that pre-vis software is a great aid for a lighting designer, but it is NOT a replacement for hands on learning. Even the best pre-vis is an estimate at how lights will behave in a space, its the knowledge of experience that one needs to make the most out of pre-vis software. Especially in an academic setting, pre-vis is not necessarily a time saver.

I have used and loved WYSIWYG, but it is NOT cheap, and is a Windows only software. Of course, we had it running on a partitioned iMac, but that's because we had people willing to set it up to do it. Coming from a backround in Vectorworks, I found the transition into WYG less painful. Heres the online store: https://cast-soft.com/cast/store/index.php

I firmly believe that pre-vis software is a great aid for a lighting designer, but it is NOT a replacement for hands on learning. Even the best pre-vis is an estimate at how lights will behave in a space, its the knowledge of experience that one needs to make the most out of pre-vis software. Especially in an academic setting, pre-vis is not necessarily a time saver.

Yeah, I get what you're saying about it not replacing hands on experience. I'm not too worried about us over-using it. We've been going without it for years, he just thinks its about time we looked into it, and I'm excited to learn. Thanks for the advice!

There is also MA3D if you use GrandMA consoles, which is free.

There is also MA3D if you use GrandMA consoles, which is free.

I feel like "free" is a relative term, cause a GrandMA certainly ain't.

I think Capture Polar is your best bet. There is a free student version which has a limited library of fixtures but other than that its all there. Cheapest option for all the fixture library is Solo edition which only has one universe. Its super cheap though, about £250 here in UK which is great value - especially considering how much WYG costs.
If you want unlimited universes and full import/export though you have to stump up over a grand for the full version.
Its easier than you thing to get into though. And its so rewarding when you build your little set on screen, then hook it up to a desk (real or virtual) and light it up!

Hi,

Have you tried Chamsys magicQ? Its free to download and runs on PC, Mac and Linux. Chamsys magicQ PC and Mac also comes with a free visualiser. When you patch heads in MagicQ, MagicQ will generate a visualiser head and the patched heads automatically become selected, so that in Patch View you will have direct control of the positioning and orientation of the visualiser head using the encoder wheels and soft buttons.

Any further questions on MagicQ let me know.

Thanks.

Well, the question was about a Previsualization software, not a software to simulate lighing. Capture Polar and Chamsys don't previsualize a film scee, just a lighing situation, important, but this was noh the question. Here you find infos, how Hitchcock and Scorsese had privisualized their films. And with Sceneum AV Pro, available for Mac and Windows (all versions) you can get the same results and see your film befor you shoot. Just add some Storyboard pictures (either scan of self painted sketches, storyboad you made f.e. with FrameForge 3D or photos you made while searching the locations. In the next step you add narration & music and can previsualize your film.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crazyfilmer: Welcome to Control Booth! Great to have you here and that is interesting, albeit irrelevant, information about film pre-viz. There is a "multimedia" forum here, quite a bit less popular than the lighting one here, but I'm sure there are folks in there that could certainly benefit from your expertise. The original poster is asking about lighting visualization software. This is so that you can build your stage and lighting rig ahead of time in the software and, depending on the system, you can control the lighting with a console so you can even start building cues into the console to be used for the show.

Well, the question was about a Previsualization software, not a software to simulate lighing. ...
Sorry, you're wrong. Here in the Stage Lighting Forum, when we say pre-viz software, we're meaning WYSIWYG, ESP Vision, Capture Polar, or other Stage LIGHTING Visualization program.

If you want to talk about visualization for film, go to Cinematography.com. Control Booth is dedicated to LIVE Entertainment applications.

Thanks.

I second Judge's reccomendation for Capture Polar.
The free Student Edition will let you become familiar with how to use the software and let's you save your work, before you need to make a purchase. If you exhaust the Student Edition's capabilities, you can download the full version and run it in Demo mode and experiment with the full Library and features, but you can't save your work.
One other thing to note is the Student Edition saves in a different file format than the 'paid' Editions.

Thanks for all the responses, everybody! Funding kinda fell through for this project, but I'll keep all this in mind in the future!

I run Sunlite Suite 2 FC and while Easy View is ok, I sometimes get frustrated with it.

Will it work with Capture Polar? I was considering the Basic Version

I feel like "free" is a relative term, cause a GrandMA certainly ain't.

Ahh, but Grand Ma on PC is. With On PC hooked up to Grand Ma 3D, on the same machine, you have an effective pre-vis situation for free. Learning to use a MA is, perhaps, the cost of being free...but knowing that OS is likely a good thing for anyone considering pre-vising a space or production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back