How to fold a backdrop.

I feel like every company I rent from has different directions for how to fold their drops. The most recent drop I rented came to me folded with the printed side out and basically Stuffed into the box. We returned it in much better condition that we received it....

Yeah, I have not had anyone grump (except the people doing the folding) when I sent them back in this configuration.

I got one one that was just plain wadded into the bag. It only took about 3,792 days to hang-iron that mess...

It was shipped to us from a theater in (insert name of place here) that apparently figured we had time and resources to "fix" it.

I feel like every company I rent from has different directions for how to fold their drops.
Yup, everybody has their own flavor, not sure I've ever seen one of those instruction sheets that come with a drop (if there is one to begin with) that has been the same as anybody else.

So, from my friends at Schell (who I love to visit to see what is getting painted in the loft):
Visited Schell once years ago, but my wife has rented from them quite a bit. Nice to see someone close by. I grew up in Port Clinton.

I was taught in what I'll call the "Schell style" but often see instruction sheets with rentals that are more like an accordion and then sleeping bag roll (terms I use to my kids all on the same page quickly).

I get asked this ALL the time. Really.

So, from my friends at Schell (who I love to visit to see what is getting painted in the loft):

http://www.schellscenic.com/downloads/fold_a_backdrop.pdf

Good to teach this sort of thing to FNPs and high-school kiddos...

Interesting. My 63 year old boss (with 40+ years in the industry) had us fold our last few drops the other way: sides to center, sides to center, sides to center, then roll-fold up to the ties. I think his instructions concurred with the insert we got in the packaging when we hung them...

Reactions: Van
Sides to center, bottom to middle top to middle, throw it in a hampster. The way O was taught for B'way tours really the only way I've ever done it.
Don't really understand the folding it up to the top first. That will result in a sharp horizontal crease. Waiting to fold the height to last means those folds follow a bigger radius and are therefore not pressing the crease into the fabric.
Different strokes, Different folks.

Sides to center, bottom to middle top to middle, throw it in a hampster. The way O was taught for B'way tours really the only way I've ever done it.
Don't really understand the folding it up to the top first. That will result in a sharp horizontal crease. Waiting to fold the height to last means those folds follow a bigger radius and are therefore not pressing the crease into the fabric.
Different strokes, Different folks.
@Van I'd believe a hamper but a HAMPSTER?? You can't be serious.
@derekleffew Care to comment??
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Hampster is the way....unless you have to cram it back into the ridicules small box that they send it to us in....we "Z" fold our drops as that's the way we receive them...

If a drop has been folded bottom-up first, when you go to hang it the next time you can spread it out under the batten without needing much US/DS space. Tie it right up to the batten and let it unfurl as it flies out. Plus your creases are horizontal, which should hang out a little easier with the weight of the bottom pipe. I'm really surprised B-way tours do it the other way.

If your space is dead-hung and you have to haul the drop up a scaffold or lift, I'd do it the other way, so you can leave it folded side-to-side as you haul the whole top up, the work your way out from center tying it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back