How to hang chandelier from pole/pipe on stage?

Newbie here ... I produce pageants and fashion shows, and own a lot of pipe and drape. I am looking to hang a single lightweight (7.5 pounds) acrylic chandelier at center backstage without using the ceiling (hotel ballrooms have issues with hanging things from ceilings). What do you suggest? Is there any kind of individual pole with a weighted base and an extension rod where I could put it behind the center pipe and drape and have the arm extend in front of the top of the pipe and drape, and hang the chandelier from that? I have no clue what to use!

In hotels, you want to avoid even the appearance that something is substandard or at all dangerous.

How far out from the drape line do you want the chandelier to extend?

Depending on the exact footprint of the stage and where it sits relative to the ballroom walls, you could drop the P&D supports and build a truss goalpost. Hang the soft goods off of that, then cheeseborough an arm to extend over the stage, and rig the chandelier off. Your client and audience will likely appreciate wrapping the pipe extension in some voile or other swanky substance to give it a bit of class. The slightly less robust version is just a truss base and upright rather than a full goalpost.

Last edited:
In hotels, you want to avoid even the appearance that something is substandard or at all dangerous.

How far out from the drape line do you want the chandelier to extend?

Depending on the exact footprint of the stage and where it sits relative to the ballroom walls, you could drop the P&D supports and build a truss goalpost. Hang the soft goods off of that, then cheeseborough an arm to extend over the stage, and rig the chandelier off. Your client and audience will likely appreciate wrapping the pipe extension in some voile or other swanky substance to give it a bit of class. The slightly less robust version is just a truss base and upright rather than a full goalpost.
The chandelier is lightweight, 7.5 pounds, and it is 22" wide, so I just want it to extend out far enough to not touch the pipe and drape, so half the diameter, or say 11-14" extended out. I realize that the farther out it extends, the more precarious it becomes. My main concern is I purchased all this pipe and drape and I'd sure hate to have to buy all kinds of truss units now and spend even more money, just to be able to hang a little $100 chandelier. ;o)

Last edited:
Depending on how high it needed to be, and how much it needed to project out perhaps a boom base and 1 1/2 inch pipe vertically and something like a City Theatrical Safer Sidearm with 1/2 inch pipe horizontally.
http://www.citytheatrical.com/Produ...f08878d4-186a-43b5-9499-62116fce6480&subDept=
EDIT: On second thought, with fashion shows having lots of people moving around the truss idea sounds lots safer, too much chance for someone to trip and bang into a lighting boom.
I'm liking this idea! The area where this chandelier will be projected from is really not a traffic area ... it's right between two sets of stairs where people will be coming on and off the stage, so they really won't be walking near where the boom base would be. Thank you so much! Definitely an option to consider.

For the weight and distance involved a boom base and some 1.5" pipe should be plenty. Another option would be to use a tripod lighting tree. You could use something like this and only mount one of the 2 foot bars, and not the top or the other side bar. It would be easier and lighter to haul around. It should be cheaper too by the time you buy a boom base, vertical pipe and a side arm. There are lots of cheaper tripod stands around but I wouldn't suggest them. Most are pretty cheaply made and have lots of plastic parts to break, and pins to lose. They can also be a little unstable at times. If you want some extra security you could also buy some sand bags to put on the tripods legs.

Not only do you have a hardware cost, you have liability. As someone who hangs chandeliers and all that every week, cantelevering off a pipe isn't recommended. Get 2 pipe and base, and run a third pipe horizontally with fixed 90 degree cheeseburgers. Don't use drape hardware. It's meant for a distributed load, not a point load. Using 2 bases allows you to crate a wide enough span so that the uprights won't be visible to the audience.

An airwall is a good option, but may not be in the position you need.

We do things in Wisconsin often. I'm in Lake Geneva twice in the next month. We'd be happy to assist.

I'm liking this idea! The area where this chandelier will be projected from is really not a traffic area ... it's right between two sets of stairs where people will be coming on and off the stage, so they really won't be walking near where the boom base would be. Thank you so much! Definitely an option to consider.
You mentioned "stage" so it may be possible to attach or clamp a base, vertical pipe with stde arm that will allow the cantilevered chandelier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back