How to make my light move faster!?!

I was thinking about doing my bedroom with S4 Minis on tracks.

This is as close as I've ever got to having lights in the bedroom...
proxy.php

I really need to figure out some sort of sleeping arrangement in my space. Usually it's not that bad, but some nights I'm beat and I would rather just crawl into my hammock/cot/whatever.

The real limiting factor is physics. The mass of all the metal, glass and plastic in the head adds up after a while. Let's say you have 7kilos (16lbs) of mass in the fixture head. The motors need to exert enough torque to get it up to some max "cruising speed." More torque can be achieved with larger motors and greater amperage. More amperage needs better motor controllers and better power supplies. All of which is more expensive. Additionally, once the moving head starts getting close to its target the computer has to plan on stopping the fixture because objects in motion tend to stay in motion. Some fixtures like the Studio 250 series that have dead weight added to the lamp end of the head to keep the center of gravity balanced along the tilt axis of rotation.

While moving mirror fixtures aren't as sexy to look at, they'll aways win the speed contest because the mass of a mirror nothing compared to a moving head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back