Hum coming right off the output of the board

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an SR56-8. Installed in '01, built in '00.

I'll never convince anyone to deal with it...the argument they use is "nobody in the building using all the auxes except you".

Is there a specific reason why you want to use all the auxes? is there a way you could combine two or what?

Sigh.

I've been working on this stuff for over ten years. I wouldn't put this kind of thread up without "doing some basic trouble shooting".

It doesn't have anything to do with the house system or cabling. When I say "the hum is coming off the jack", I MEAN IT! (as opposed to if I didn't know, I'd say "errr ummm my speaker thingy has a weird noise in it!")

Duck, I'd think with my posting history on this site you would know that I've done basic trouble shooting, but that's a different subject.

While the problem did occur mid run, that doesn't mean it was my fault. It could easily be a coincidence. Obviously, during rehearsal I'm not going to stop and pull open the board. I wasted a perfectly good channel of gating on that aux to make it go away (oh, by the way, the problem also wouldn't have gone away when I did this if it was the amp or the speaker).

Any other intelligent thoughts?
I've learned not to assume things and I've seen people much more experienced than you miss something obvious, I know that I've done it myself many times. If you've performed any troubleshooting then identifying what was done will help others help you. If you had just included some of the information in your last post in the original post you probably could have saved yourself and others some time and effort.

To me a hum 'off' the jack would actually mean the jack is physically humming and while I assumed that to not be that case I also didn't take it to necessarily mean that you had determined there was hum at or on the jack.

Is the hum there if you AFL/Solo the Aux? The AFL split is apparently after the mute for the aux so if there is hum at the jack but not at the AFL that may narrow things down.

is there a way you could combine two or what?

I don't know what this means.

Is there a specific reason why you want to use all the auxes?

1) That's not the point. One of them is giving grief, and it didn't come from Mackie that way. It's not normal, and should be fixed.
2) I've had many productions in this space and would have loved to have 10 or 12 auxes (as I STATED EARLIER). For day to day operations, we might only use 1 or 2. So avoiding the bad one is fine. But when the musicals come around and we need all the auxes plus 3 we don't have.... see my point yet?

No not really being a sound designers as well as a system engineer I have never had to use more than 6 auxes even for large musical on a huge stage with 12 Mon wedges. When you have some down time on the board go ahead and send it in for the 40$ minimum without shipping.

I'm sorry to sound like a jerk but when you have issues like this either put up the money to have a pro look at it or work around it. That's your job as a sound person.

So stop gripeing about every suggestion we make and do some other research instead of trying to be spoon fed the answer.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

No not really being a sound designers as well as a system engineer I have never had to use more than 6 auxes even for large musical on a huge stage with 12 Mon wedges. When you have some down time on the board go ahead and send it in for the 40$ minimum without shipping.

I'm sorry to sound like a jerk but when you have issues like this either put up the money to have a pro look at it or work around it. That's your job as a sound person.

So stop gripeing about every suggestion we make and do some other research instead of trying to be spoon fed the answer.

Okay, so why does Yamaha put 24 mixes on their PM5Ds if you're only supposed to use 6, if you're a "good" designer/engineer? Do they leave the other ones in case a "bad" designer comes along?

Does anybody else understand this argument, because I certainly don't....

Okay, so why does Yamaha put 24 mixes on their PM5Ds if you're only supposed to use 6, if you're a "good" designer/engineer? Do they leave the other ones in case a "bad" designer comes along?

No, but i have trouble believing that a high school requires the use of 10-12 auxes. It doesn't necessarily mean that the person is a "bad" designer its just means they may not be as efficient as some others.

No, but i have trouble believing that a high school requires the use of 10-12 auxes. It doesn't necessarily mean that the person is a "bad" designer its just means they may not be as efficient as some others.

I have trouble seeing how any good designer would do Into The Woods WITHOUT 10-12 auxes, while keeping their pit and actors happy, while still providing auxes for vocal fx processors, backstage sends, etc.

Does anybody else understand this argument, because I certainly don't....

I have trouble seeing how any good designer would do Into The Woods WITHOUT 10-12 auxes, while keeping their pit and actors happy, while still providing auxes for vocal fx processors, backstage sends, etc.

Does it matter? As long as your keeping everything under control, it doesn't matter how many different auxes you have. If you can't keep everything under control, then it is too complicated. We can make a separate thread if we want to discuss this further.

Back to the topic at hand, until we know that it isn't a loose ribbon cable or other simple problem, there isn't much else we can do for you here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back