In the event of run away

I also will explain that we would MUCH rather have someone call a STOP because they think something's wrong when it isn't than have them not call it when something is wrong because they're not sure. We're not going to be mad as long as it's in good faith. The other big one (more for when we're doing a roof) is if I (and whoever else is in charge on-site) tell you to do something RIGHT NOW, do it. If I say cut loose that tarp right now, I don't mean when you get done with lunch or when it seems like a problem to you. Also (thank goodness I've never had to do this) if tell you to get away right now (or RUN) I mean it, there may not be time for a discussion.

First I want to point out that my comments in this thread are meant specifically as safety training procedures for beginners in high school and college. Pro theaters will obviously have different needs and different procedures.

i have heard that it might be smarter not to have people yell out a "thank you" since it could drown out a stop.

You shouldn't move the lineset until AFTER the thank you.

Correct. Calling out a lineset is moving and having people on deck acknowledge the number with a thank you is a safety check performed BEFORE you release the break. You don't start anything moving on stage until you KNOW that everyone in the area is either aware of what is about to happen or has an aware technician watching them for their own safety (for example if you have performers around who don't know anything about rigging you have a technician or two watching them and talking with them about what is going on until the danger has passed).

Last edited:
installed by Stagecraft Industries.

Somehow, where I work, has a Stagecraft install but I'm not aware of the components, getting the SR light ladders to come in means jumping onto the rope and riding it down and having to use brute force to take them out. The lineset isn't out of balance, it won't move if you don't have your hands on the line with the lock off. Everyone I work with is perplexed at this, and Stagecraft says they don't know how to fix it.

zmb - this should be fixable. I have 5000 pound pieces on manual counterweight that don't move that hard. Wish I was nearer and could see. Something is misaligned - I just don't know what.

Somehow, where I work, has a Stagecraft install but I'm not aware of the components, getting the SR light ladders to come in means jumping onto the rope and riding it down and having to use brute force to take them out. The lineset isn't out of balance, it won't move if you don't have your hands on the line with the lock off. Everyone I work with is perplexed at this, and Stagecraft says they don't know how to fix it.

At the university I work at, we've got a couple of linesets with this issue, although not as extreme. Apparently during install, the T-Track wasn't installed completely plumb along the wall so the arbor shoes bind over and over again in the same places. Unfortunately, its not just in the upstage to downstage plane, but also offstage and onstage, so just loosening up the shoes doesn't fix the whole issue

Are the arbors long enough that you could put spacers in, so loading level was higher? Many more questions but who installed it?
Hi Bill,
Recussitating an old thread but a search didn't find this anywhere else.
What is the standard for the arbor spacers you reference above to raise loading level height? What are they made of? Is there a limit how high you can raise the loading level?
My facility has stacks of 2x6s cut into a matching counterweight profile to raise the loading height since our arbors are waaaaaaay too long. Our District finally agreed to a rigging inspecting (it's been a while) and I'm wondering if we're going to be in for a world of hurt due to these spacers.
Thank you!

Hi Bill,
Recussitating an old thread but a search didn't find this anywhere else.
What is the standard for the arbor spacers you reference above to raise loading level height? What are they made of? Is there a limit how high you can raise the loading level?
My facility has stacks of 2x6s cut into a matching counterweight profile to raise the loading height since our arbors are waaaaaaay too long. Our District finally agreed to a rigging inspecting (it's been a while) and I'm wondering if we're going to be in for a world of hurt due to these spacers.
Thank you!

Bill hasn't been around much lately. Think he's having too much fun hiking and camping in his retirement.

Paging @egilson1 to the fly loft.

Bill hasn't been around much lately. Think he's having too much fun hiking and camping in his retirement.

Paging @egilson1 to the fly loft.

So the challenge with arbor spacers is making sure that material used will not interfere with the proper use of spreader plates, and will also resist the forces likely to be applied to them in a run away arbor situation. I’ve seen spacers made from 2x4s where 2 vertical members were screwed into a top and bottom member that were “keyed” to fit the arbor rods. This prevents the proper spacing of spreader plates every 24”. I like the idea of stacking 2x6s as dummy counter weights as I assume the compressive force they can resist is quite high. I would also suggest banding them together with the metal shipping strapping to prevent them from being able to shifting if they start to break apart.

I like the idea of stacking 2x6s as dummy counter weights as I assume the compressive force they can resist is quite high. I would also suggest banding them together with the metal shipping strapping to prevent them from being able to shifting if they start to break apart.

It might be a decent idea to glue a piece of 1/4" or so plywood to the top and bottom of each to keep them together should they want to start to split. That wouldn't be much of a concern with good, well-seasoned wood...but having seen what passes for framing lumber in some places, "good" and "well-seasoned" are not always the first adjectives that spring to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back