"Interesting" eBay find...

those are not 19 pin Socapex connectors - if I can count correctly from the photos they are 36 pin connectors. Lighting uses the 19 pin version. Audio does use soca connectors - just not the 19 pin version.

The sellers description is clearly posted by someone who does not know what they are doing.

I have seen a Socapex-style connector used on audio racks throughout europe. I have not seen it much in the US (I'm also not an audio guy), although I have seen a high school that used the connector for the stage/FOH runs.

Last edited:
And just out of curiosity, what is the practical limit of using XLR as a power connector....Professional cameras use 4-pin XLR as a means of DC power supply to on-camera lights and accessories. Is it solely based on the gauge/type of wire or are there other limiting factors?

I would think the limiting factor would be the connector rating. My personal favorites, Neutrik DLX and XX XLR's, are rated for 16A and 50V max. The physical constraint would probably be the size of the wire you could get on the terminal.

those are not 19 pin Socapex connectors - if I can count correctly from the photos they are 36 pin connectors. Lighting uses the 19 pin version. Audio does use soca connectors - just not the 19 pin version.

The sellers description is clearly posted by someone who does not know what they are doing.
The 37 pin version is/was quite commonly used for analog control/signal. Many audio companies use the 19 pin version as speaker cable to an array.

What would be the use that allowed for 30 channels (per the pinout you linked) on a 37 pin connector? I can't see a logical use for that configuration in lighting or sound.

:) Literally spent almost six hours today in wiring up two 8-channel truss snakes using this plug for data. The first one in not having done one in a while took twice as long. This also given I had to de-solder pins on used plugs, pre-tin and insulate the drains and shields on my way digital grade snake pairs etc.

Someone unmentioned from our company like eight or ten years ago chose that Cursid Socapex #337 plug for our multi-pair snakes. Seemed good at the time, but as opposed to other brands with shorter male pins, these things bend or break faster, and in general given a old bad design fall apart faster. Biggest problem is the male plugs lock up with use once the nylon washer spacing it from the plug head wears too thin, or for it's own reasons. The truss distro box males seem to fail in their panel mount versions faster than anything else. This even over at times the female side screw threads coming un-done from the plug and leaving the rest in-tact just without screw threads.

Very expensive connectors/plugs - especially the exhange rate at this point, and Socapex (France) takes their own sweet time in shipping. Could be two months just for replacement pins. Can be six months for even a small order. Impossible to keep them in stock especially since the exchange rate went out of wack yet I'm currently stuck with them as opposed to say WirlWin with it's own problems that I also use for other things. Literally hundreds of multi-pair cables and boxes and panel mounts using the Socapex #337 system at this point, some of them waiting on parts back ordered from the company.

Socapex #337 I use for multi-pair DMX a lot. I made the pinology choice for what was popular in the day for use. Back than we had Remote Focus Units for light boards that sent back on pins 4 & 5 the power and data to the unit in the DMX cable. There was other gear that was time stamping out there than. I had to have pins 4&5 active to at least a few channels. That plus there was dual channel Clear Com but I wasn't doing that other than keeping to specific channels in a 8-pair FOH snake for Clear Com thus leaving only six for DMX.

That was FOH snakes, for truss snakes, they used all eight pair but in normal single pair snakes, only had pins 1-24 active as with today. Pin 25 thru 36 were for pin's 4&5 of Circuit 1-6 with their paired drain wire tied in with the drain for the circuit they were linked to. Simple enough plan and thus a 16pair cable with two spare circuits not used, could work with a eight or twelve pair snake with universal working.

In other words as a system it works that one can use 37 pin for 8-pair truss snake or 8-pair (DMX universe) FOH snakes. They would link up and it didn't matter the purpose in working. That other than cable failing or plugs failiing. Solder pins break, crimp ones don't persay but are harder to get. Even invented a solder pin extracting hole saw for solder type pins in their hard bakealite like housing. Made out of stainless steel tubing sized to the pin, I cut notches in its tip and dremmel max speed away in melting the pin out of the plug. Than expoxy a new one saved from an old plug, in to replace the old. Crimp style takes longer to do and is better, but is also harder to get.

Eight universes of DMX years ago was imagined to be very sufficient for touring needs. Na... not today, such even truss snake combinations are getting limited given modern moving lights. At one point our General Manager didn't want to invest too much into this Soca system any longer. It was going to be replaced soon. He was correct in most of our FOH stuff fiber or ethernet at this point, but wasn't that it wouldn't still be in use especially as truss data snakes still. Not a temporary thing and we are stuck with a badly constructed and designed plug in less an effort to build more, than sustain what we have which takes effort.

At this point I'm still attempting (while waiting for parts) to have another manufacturer or three make them for me in a better design and less lead time. Still waiting on such an option happening.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back