ION is almost here!

Derek’s response to the new ETC Ion Lighting Control Console, baby-EOS or not? 08/21/2007

First, an attempt at humor. Definition. An "Ion" is what happens when you take all the functionality of an Express away from an Expression. The result is the Ion, pronounced “shun,” as in, “I shun ETC’s new console--I won’t use it.” But I called the first Obsession the “Excessive,” and the Obsession II “that Star Trek board.” I believe the Expression family has achieved status of “the best-selling console ever built.” Did I read that somewhere or am I hallucinating? Help me out here, farmerjo1111, [or Sarah?] The Ion is positioned to replace the Expression3 and soon, the Express. I believe there's a typo on the webpage under "Ion Software Features" where it says "Data import from...Express/ion...". Even ETC admits it’s the hind end of an Expression.

I disagree with most of you; except gafftaper, jezza, and Icewolf08, you’re all spot on. If you ONLY use dimmers, buy/rent an Express or Expression3, depending on amount of dimmers you need to control. If you currently use now, or ever anticipate using >10 moving lights, buy/rent a REAL Moving Light Console: something from the families of grandMA, HogIII, or MAXXIS. (or Vista, some seem to like that one : )

Moving Light Consoles can control dimmers really well, but the Reverse is definitely NOT true. You know what I mean. Dimmer Consoles don't/can’t control Moving Lights well.

My first memory console was the Strand-Century Light Palette v4J in 1979. In 1985, I ran some of the first moving lights in Chicago: Prestige 1000 controlling PanCans. I love and have been using ETC consoles since the original Vision and Expression I. But I would not recommend ANY of their consoles to run moving lights, even the EOS. I’ve done up to 24 movers on an Expression 3 and it took easily four times as long to program a 35-minute musical review as it would have on a Hog II.

The only gray area I see is small productions/theatres wanting to use <10 movers. An Express or Expression3 will work, but it will be tedious and time-consuming, depending on the design of course. Perhaps the Ion would fit the bill here. But it will still be tedious! At least it has palettes, but only one cuelist active at a time.

I just worked on a corporate show with 340 movers, >10 media servers, and 240 dimmers. Consoles used were two grandMA full-size(s) and one Express 250, because it had lots of submasters the LD could run. I would have probably spec’d an Insight3.

There’s a reason Broadway and Las Vegas shows used to use both an Obsession and a Hog II; and now use Obsession II (maybe EOS, Strand 550i) and GrandMA (maybe HogIII, Virtuoso); again, best tool(s) for the job.

Your mileage may vary. I miss the Kliegl Performer, the first mass-produced moving light console.

I'm going to rant a bit.

I 'dunno, maybe it's just me, but I have to wonder where ETC is going with this, based on what I've read here, some of it from folks with obvious inside info. And I may well just need to await more - and correct information.
I see a website with a product described with assorted features. I have no problems if they decide it's too early to release certain features, such as phone remote. But the description is prominent in listing "Providing fully integrated control of conventional and moving lights". It goes on to describe "4x1000 pallettes - intensity, focus, color, beam" as well as having 4 pageable encoders right on the desktop. If this little unit isn't a baby Eos, then when are we going to see one ?.

I for one, do not need a replacement for a Microvision. I need a replacement for an Express with Emphasis, which is just barely a year old and has not lived up to the expectations as described on the website.

I hope that's not the case here with Ion.

For someone to tell me that the add-on fader wings will not run playbacks, or that the Ion is not going to allow multiple cue stack playback via those faders, seems to me a deleberate dumbing down of what could be a very hot product. Perhaps allowing one fader wing of the users choice (1x10, 2x20 etc...) to be actual playbacks, with any other fader wings attached only allowing submasters, might allow the desk to offer just enough functionality without competing with other in-house products, but in any case, SOME form of multiple playbacks is essential for this console to have any use controlling ML's, which is how it's described.

I most emphatically do NOT see Congo, or Congo Jr. as the middle of the product line, placed between Eos and Ion. The Congo syntax and OS is simply too different a product and if ETC decides this is so, then they just lost a customer here for what could be 3 replacement consoles for existing Express's, as well as new console(s) for a $75 million PAC building with 2 new theaters.

I also have issues with using a $20 cordless telephone as a remote focus unit, so perhaps that needs to get re-thought as well, or maybe I'm missing something and it's an amazing idea - I just don't see it. A dedicated RFU, wired or not (I prefer wireless) makes my life much easier when the bloody buttons on the RFU are duplicating what's on the actual console. Please don't tell me I have to teach a newbie that the Flash button on the phone really means Macro. Or that Re-Dial goes to Blind. Sorry, but I don't need hidden functionality.

Note, that as I commented on in an earlier post, I am aware that all this is putting the cart way before the horse, but cannot help but feel that ETC is way late on getting replacements out there for Express and Expression, and I wonder if they've been listening......

Steve Bailey
Brooklyn College
Rant over
SteveB, if I were at Brooklyn college, I would specify the following:

A grandMA full-size for the Opera House, a grandMA light for the theatre, a grandMA ultra-light for the Black Box, a grandMA micro for the lobby, and a grandMA pico for my office. Plus a few grandMA onPCs. All on their own private network and saving to a centralized file server. Each venue has as many NSPs as needed, up to a total of 16. Any console can work any venue; in an emergency you can call many shops and have a replacement onsite within an hour.

Yes there’s a learning curve, but there will be with any new desk you buy. I’ll repeat my earlier post, “If you want to run moving lights, buy a Moving Light Console.”

I predict the Ion will be a success for ETC, and in five years we’ll be saying, “how did we ever run those awful Expression’s.”

Yes, I’m replying to myself. This isn’t the first time I’ve does this. I find myself arguing with my other self often. Read my blog. Anyhow.

There’s an article in the August 2007 issue of Lighting&Sound America by Rob Halliday titled Things Every Console Should Have that appears pertinent to this thread. It’s not on the magazine’s website, but a free print subscription is offered to industry professionals.

I suggest reading it if you can. And offering suggestions to Mr. Halliday

Derek I don't think I've ever seen a brand new member come in and begin life in the booth with three posts to the same thread in response to each other. That's got to be some kind of record. Welcome. ;)

Derek -

Have you used an Eos on a production?

Negative. Only spent quality time with it on the LDI show floor. Can you tell me where there are any permanent installs in Las Vegas? Do any of the LV Lighting shops have one available for rental?

response to other posts...
Thanks for the welcome. I just posted in the "new members" area. As I said, I've been lurking here and LightNetwork for years. But that's how I usually come barging into a booth--brash and opinionated. Disliked by most; feared by some; respected by a few. It's the latter with whom I eventually become good friends. A road ME recently nicknamed me Curt, as I kept snapping at him over the Walkie, but he kept interrupting me when I was in the catwalk trying to run a crew to do as he had directed. Everytime I picked up a SynchoLight ballast (heavy!), someone would call me on either the radio or the cellphone (job-related). I explained later in person-we're now friends.

I disagree with most of you; except gafftaper, jezza, and Icewolf08, you’re all spot on. If you ONLY use Dimmers, buy/rent an Express or Expression3, depending on amount of dimmers you need to control. If you currently use now, or ever anticipate using >10 moving lights, buy/rent a REAL Moving Light Console: something from the families of grandMA, HogIII, or MAXXIS. (or Vista, some seem to like that one : )

Moving Light Consoles can control dimmers really well, but the Reverse is definitely NOT true. You know what I mean. Dimmer Consoles don't/can’t control Moving Lights well.

This is the statement that I have a problem with. We, as an industry, are getting to the point that this distinction between a moving light desk and a conventional control desk is going away. EOS does a very good job of controlling moving lights and conventional fixtures. Is it as hyper-configurable as a Grand MA - no, but I don't think that it needs to be. Congo also does a very good job of controlling both types of fixtures. (I only am speaking here for the ETC desks that I know, the new Strand desks may work just as well in this regard, I just don't know them) The way that the controls industry is going with the Generic fixture model that ETC (EOS, ION, Congo), Jands (Vista) and other subscribe to, is going to make that distinction irrelevant.

Point well taken, but you didn't answer my question.

Is there an EOS in Las Vegas? If yes, I would enjoy visiting with it and its keepers.

Is there an EOS in Las Vegas? If yes, I would enjoy visiting with it and its keepers.

Call PRG or 4wall...I think one of them has one in stock and they are typically happy to do demos.

or pop up here to Salt Lake, they have 5 over at the LDS conference center. We had a demo of a pre-production model last year, it seems like a nice console.

This is the statement that I have a problem with. We, as an industry, are getting to the point that this distinction between a moving light desk and a conventional control desk is going away. EOS does a very good job of controlling moving lights and conventional fixtures. Is it as hyper-configurable as a Grand MA - no, but I don't think that it needs to be. Congo also does a very good job of controlling both types of fixtures. (I only am speaking here for the ETC desks that I know, the new Strand desks may work just as well in this regard, I just don't know them) The way that the controls industry is going with the Generic fixture model that ETC (EOS, ION, Congo), Jands (Vista) and other subscribe to, is going to make that distinction irrelevant.

Yes, I'm looking forward to Gaff writing up on his new Palette / Light Palette (I can't remember which he got).

Mee too.

I don't know if there is a console in Vegas or not. I live in/work in the Dallas area and am only privy to what goes on around these here parts.

I will try to make a phone call tomorrow and see what I can find out - if I have the time. To be truthful, work has me so swamped right now, I don't know if I will, but I will try.

Jeff

Want to see it instead of bashing it from the somewhat shaky position of not having seen it in detail?

If you call Randy Pybas at the ETC West office in LA, I bet you will have one in front of you in a heartbeat!

Nice to hear from you again, Derek.

Cheers

Steve Terry

Mr. Terry, et al.:

I wasn't trying to bash the EOS, or the Ion for that matter. I don't think that saying I prefer the grandMA in almost every application is bashing. However, Jmabray and others here have convinced me that at least part of my thinking is out-dated. There's really no such thing as a "dimmer only" console anymore and I'm sure that's for the best. Also I realize the phrase "Real Moving Light Console, such as..." can be taken as derogatory to those not on my list. I'm just speaking from my own, myopic experiences. Shows I work use Expresses and Expressions and Obsessions and Strand 5xxs to control dimmers; and Hogs, what's the plural of Maxxis? Maxxii?, and grandMAs to run movers and media servers. Unless the "dimmer only" console is eliminated, and it's tasks are folded into one of the latter category.

But if you WANT to hear me bash a console, guess what, it's one of yours. The original MicroVision, 1990?, with the round silver buttons that WEREN'T LABELLED!--the silk screening was either above or below, and who can remember?, and I ended up putting tiny bits of white gaffer's on every single button and writing with a sharp Sharpie. Then I used black gaff to cover the labels that were there BETWEEN the buttons...and it was a brand new console that Chicago Spotlight had purchased just to rent to that production.

I look forward to talking with Mr. Pybas and getting a more in-depth look at the console that I spent a half-hour with last November at LDI.

I am now un-subscribing from this thread. I think I've done all the damage I can. Steve, please respond to my post in the "Brand Familiarity" thread regarding A Chorus Line and the Scrimmer dimmers. I want to make sure I have the story accurate.

Peace.

Maxxyz -> Maxxyzs? Maxxyzes? Maxxyz?

Yes, I'm looking forward to Gaff writing up on his new Palette / Light Palette (I can't remember which he got).

It's going to be a "classic palette" which is the model with 32 subs and a keypad. The system gets installed in about a month but I won't have any instruments until November probably. So it's going to be a while until I get a full review. I'm pretty excited about it. I've used Horizon and really liked the software. I thought seriously about going after a Marquee but was scared off by the small company. When the buy out happened, I was happy to get the horizon/marquee technology with a big name behind it. I've played around with the palette and like what I've seen so far.

I tried to delay the decision on the console as long as possible and get a final say in the brand purchased but I wasn't able to pull that off. Not sucking up to the present company... but I would rather have ETC dimmers and console if nothing more than for the customer service. However, at the time the decision was made the options were Palette vs Express. If I had the final say now I would probably have a Congo. I actually looked into changing to a Congo Jr. and determined that with contractor markups and change order fees I would probably end up paying around $25k for that Jr. So I decided to hold off and push for the purchase of a second console later... what a great educational opportunity to have both a Strand and ETC console in the theater.

I'm interested to get my paws on an ION and get a real feel for how it fits into the bigger picture. What I saw of EOS at LDI was very impressive but overkill for my needs. So I'm really curious in what ways ION is similar and what way's it's different. Which functions it looses and which functions it keeps. Sadly I'm not going to LDI this year so I'll have to wait for ION to visit the local theater shop.

It's going to be a "classic palette" which is the model with 32 subs and a keypad. The system gets installed in about a month but I won't have any instruments until November probably. So it's going to be a while until I get a full review. I'm pretty excited about it. I've used Horizon and really liked the software. I thought seriously about going after a Marquee but was scared off by the small company. When the buy out happened, I was happy to get the horizon/marquee technology with a big name behind it. I've played around with the palette and like what I've seen so far.
I tried to delay the decision on the console as long as possible and get a final say in the brand purchased but I wasn't able to pull that off. Not sucking up to the present company... but I would rather have ETC dimmers and console if nothing more than for the customer service. However, at the time the decision was made the options were Palette vs Express. If I had the final say now I would probably have a Congo. I actually looked into changing to a Congo Jr. and determined that with contractor markups and change order fees I would probably end up paying around $25k for that Jr. So I decided to hold off and push for the purchase of a second console later... what a great educational opportunity to have both a Strand and ETC console in the theater.
I'm interested to get my paws on an ION and get a real feel for how it fits into the bigger picture. What I saw of EOS at LDI was very impressive but overkill for my needs. So I'm really curious in what ways ION is similar and what way's it's different. Which functions it looses and which functions it keeps. Sadly I'm not going to LDI this year so I'll have to wait for ION to visit the local theater shop.

The choice was between palette and express? I've yet to use an ETC console, but my understanding is the Expression has some dials or something going on to help you make use of your DMX toys, Gaff. I mean, you're gonna have a pretty good set of intelligent gear, if I remember correctly from your gear list. Does the expression really not have that much more to offer?

The choice was between palette and express? I've yet to use an ETC console, but my understanding is the Expression has some dials or something going on to help you make use of your DMX toys, Gaff. I mean, you're gonna have a pretty good set of intelligent gear, if I remember correctly from your gear list. Does the expression really not have that much more to offer?

Not really. And there is a vast chasam of difference between an Express and an Expression. They do use the same software, but the hardware interface makes a signifiacnt difference in programming moving lights or DMX toys. (those dials are called Encoders, and they are called Encoders on all of the control desks that have them....)

Not really. And there is a vast chasam of difference between an Express and an Expression. They do use the same software, but the hardware interface makes a signifiacnt difference in programming moving lights or DMX toys. (those dials are called Encoders, and they are called Encoders on all of the control desks that have them....)

Yea, that's what I thought. I'm curious to see how the strand classic palette works out, (having been "raised" on a strand (that's coming from a 16 year old :rolleyes: ) ), but it seems like the expression might have been a good choice. (Not to criticize your decision after you've made it, Gaff!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back