Control/Dimming iRFR connection issue

Kurt

So my high school got an ETC element board (pretty sure this is only its 3rd year in our theater). We got a wireless router for it and set up the iRFR app on our director's ipad (he's the only one willing to pay for it). It worked throughout all of last year, was great for turning lights on for focus or someone else running a couple cues in a show, etc. Recently it just stopped working, the app recognizes the board, and all the settings are right on the board. The app continues to give me the "connection failed connection refused" error whenever I try to connect, any explanation for this?

If it suddenly stopped, then what changed? Did you update either the app or console? Change wireless settings on either the iPad or router? Anything like that?

Post your equipment and all the settings - including all the network settings in the desk if you can.

If you've upgraded to to version 2.0 - there may be some hardware set ups that are more problematic than others.

I would reccomend using an Airport Express or Airport Extreme as the router if you are using the app on an iPad

Um, why? There is nothing that an airport can do in this situation that a 50 dollar router/access point from wally world won't do.

Give ETC a ring, they should be able to help you troubleshoot it.

Recently it just stopped working, the app recognizes the board, and all the settings are right on the board. The app continues to give me the "connection failed connection refused" error whenever I try to connect, any explanation for this?

Are you sure that you have the correct IP address?

Um, why? There is nothing that an airport can do in this situation that a 50 dollar router/access point from wally world won't do.

In this case - at this time - that may not be true. There is a lot of additional traffic being generated in the newer EOS software versions and some routers just don't handle it very well.

You can configure the WAN port on an airport and it will filter out a lot of this unwanted traffic. You can get an old school airport extreme on ebay for $15.

Like I said - if the poster would like a solution to their problem - post all the relevant details and we'll have you sorted out. No point buying new hardware before we check all the DHCP/IP settings on the Desk, router and ipad.

In this case - at this time - that may not be true. There is a lot of additional traffic being generated in the newer EOS software versions and some routers just don't handle it very well.

You can configure the WAN port on an airport and it will filter out a lot of this unwanted traffic. You can get an old school airport extreme on ebay for $15.

Exactly. Plus, Apple devices have a special tendency to not like linksys and some other routers.

Give ETC a ring, they should be able to help you troubleshoot it.

Agreed - I've had $150 wifi routers (with a certain popular fruit emblazoned on the sides) fail miserably, while the $15 one from the thrift store worked perfectly. Try surveying for frequency use and tweaking as appropriate before going out and buying anything new.

Like I said - if the poster would like a solution to their problem - post all the relevant details and we'll have you sorted out. No point buying new hardware before we check all the DHCP/IP settings on the Desk, router and ipad.

Could you explain that a bit more? Its been 9 years since I took my CCNA but unless something has changed a frame is a frame.... And the 802.11(x) standards should take care of it. If your buying hardware that does not play well with certain AP's then you have a bigger problem. At work we use Cisco and Linksys gear only and I have never had an issue getting an apple device on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Could you explain that a bit more? Its been 9 years since I took my CCNA but unless something has changed a frame is a frame.... And the 802.11(x) standards should take care of it. If your buying hardware that does not play well with certain AP's then you have a bigger problem. At work we use Cisco and Linksys gear only and I have never had an issue getting an apple device on.

First a disclaimer - I'm not a technical guy. I do a bit of EOS programming though....

None of this has anything to do with cisco/linksys versus apple. So if we can let's put all that baggage aside.

Currently in an EOS environment there can SOMETIMES be issues using certain routers. I've gone through several linksys and netgear routers. They worked great for years and then sometime during the EOS 2.0 beta process they just stopped working effectively. After months of digging around (it was a long beta) - it looks to be a lot of additional console (non-irfr) traffic - which some wireless routers are choking on. I've had people suggest things like Multicast filtering and a few other things - but I don't know. The 4 linksys/netgear routers I owned did not support Multicast filtering - sad pony.

At the suggestion of friend I got a cheapo airport extreme off ebay and configured the WAN port - not the LAN. The problems went away. Dancing Pony.

All of this may go away in some future console release. It may not. ETC is pretty quite about all things iRFR. They don't take any $ for it - for the sole reason that they can't provide support for these kinds of issues. Not their router, not their ipad - not their problem.

If anyone can fill in the technical details - that would be super. I for one would be very interested - I run into all kinds of different equipment, in venues big and small. For now - I'm the proud owner of 3 airport extremes - and my iRFR rocks them all.

Hope that helps.

To the OP, I get this error when my ipad connects to a different network. Make sure in the ipad settings you're connected to the lighting network, then open the irfr app and try reconnecting.

whoops! I lost track of this thread after I called ETC and took care of the problem. Whoever set up the router in the first place set it up on the same IP as the board itself, causing an IP address conflict. Set that back up to factory defaults and everything went smoothly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back