Is Anyone ACTUALLY Using Midi Control With Success?

I know there are a ton of DMX controllers that "have midi capability", I own a few of them. My question is anyone here actually using a midi device to reliably control a DMX board and if so what what Midi controller and which DMX board?

I've recently started exploring the possibilities with midi and the GrandMA. A friend of mine is a DJ (who is also a lighting type) and he has been working on a 90 minute mashup set. For this set we are looking into having different samples like to executors on the MA, so the lights and samples match perfectly.

I use MIDI on a regular basis. I'm using it to trigger my Hog 3 from an external touch screen for day-to-day operations where there isn't a true programmer/operator.

My touch screen connects to a Cueserver (interactive-online.com). This sends out MIDI commands to the Hog 3 to trigger cue lists, turn off/on moving light power, strike lamps, etc.

I have used MIDI successfully for many things. The last time was between an RSD Audiobox and an Obsession II. If implemented correctly it works very well. There are many major shows and tours that use MSC to control various aspects of the show.

I've recently started exploring the possibilities with midi and the GrandMA. A friend of mine is a DJ (who is also a lighting type) and he has been working on a 90 minute mashup set. For this set we are looking into having different samples like to executors on the MA, so the lights and samples match perfectly.

OY! The most fun I've had on a GrandMA was with a midi keyboard controller that I set to control my color combos. Great for on the fly!:grin:

... and if so what what Midi controller and which DMX board?
1993-2002: Richmond Stage Manager 3000 and ETC Expression, (before JohnHuntington wrote a book and became rich and famous.);)

proxy.php

AllInTheBox, what is it you want to do? Midi notes or MSC?

Last edited by a moderator:
AllInTheBox, what is it you want to do? Midi notes or MSC?[/QUOTE]

I just want to start by writing simple sequences corrresponding to midi tracks using a midi keyboard.... midi note number or program change. I would assume note number is what corresponds to a DMX controller's banks and scenes.

For a production of "Magic Flute" we had a white set and used a Mac-controlled projector (10k lumen projector, 8GB RAM, 8-core Mac) for scenery / backgrounds. We wanted smooth transitions so we ran MIDI between our Expression 3 and the Mac. Had no problems unless the Mac got warm (we solved that problem), and the scenery faded nicely with the lighting.

I know there are a ton of DMX controllers that "have midi capability", I own a few of them. My question is anyone here actually using a midi device to reliably control a DMX board and if so what what Midi controller and which DMX board?

Broadway shows that use extensive ML's usually cue the ML's on a Hog II and the conventionals on a Obsession II. They then link the 2 together via Midi for single operator use.

For dance concerts, we use Q-Lab through an Audiofire 12 (which has MIDI I/O) to fire cues on an ETC ION with MSC commands. We don't fire all the cues with Q-Lab, only the ones where it's critical that the cue be in perfect time with the music.

For our live shows, if there's lighting involved, it's triggered by MTC. An Alesis HD24 which is used for audio playback sends MTC to either a Hog iPC, Strand Rack Palette, or CueServer in the different venues. There are usually no problems, though MTC can hiccup, rarely if ever.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back