Jar of Spit

Hey all,
So I am currently working as the designer on a new adaptation if Emperor's New Clothes, the other day the director/writer decided he wanted a cast member to flick the contents of a jar of spit over the audience. Any ideas how to make the spit? I must be vegetarian friendly and easy to wipe off. ( I have pointed out that audience members may not want fake spit on there clothes or in their hair, and it will be reviewed at the next production meeting )
Any advice would be great.
Thanks
CW

Is there any reason it couldn't just be water? If the audience is told this is a jar of spit they'd likely accept that even if it's a little too....watery.

Via Tapatalk

... to flick the contents of a jar of spit over the audience. Any ideas how to make the spit? ...
I would say just plain water, or perhaps club soda, if you want some bubbles.

Depending on the size of the jar / amount of "spit", lobby placards and/or a program note might be prudent:
Please be advised that, during this performance, some audience members may experience dampness...
(or whatever they post at Gallagher shows...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Water does seem like the right solution.

Perhaps some kind of non-water-soluble paint treatment on the inside of the jar to make it look more spit-like? Maybe a thick application of a combination of matte and gloss fixative? Or some latex glaze?

Jars are easy enough to come by that you could cheaply and easily try a few different ideas until you find something that looks right to the director.

I would stick with straight water, the last thing you want is angry patrons when something leaves residue or a stain behind on their clothing.

I would stick with straight water, ...

and a note in the program or at the door warning patrons that it will happen and that it is only water.

and a note in the program or at the door warning patrons that it will happen and that it is only water.

And a note at the box office or when seats are sold online, especially if it's assigned seating.

We did The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged!) in which one of the characters "mock-vomits" onto the first row. All in good fun and no actual substance. Still we got an angry business man who had brought some Japanese investors in to show them the local culture. The Japanese are, apparently, very offended by vomit -- even "mock-vomit".

A very small amount of gelatin should be able to thicken the solution up and make more "spit-like." You could also use a beater to mix in some air and make it have some volume. Definitely something that will require experimenting to get something that you like. Make sure to share your final results here and let us know how it goes.

A very small amount of gelatin should be able to thicken the solution up and make more "spit-like." You could also use a beater to mix in some air and make it have some volume. Definitely something that will require experimenting to get something that you like. Make sure to share your final results here and let us know how it goes.
True but I wouldn't do it. As has been suggested make the jar look nasty on the outside, but only put pure water on the inside.

And a note at the box office or when seats are sold online, especially if it's assigned seating.

We did The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged!) in which one of the characters "mock-vomits" onto the first row. All in good fun and no actual substance. Still we got an angry business man who had brought some Japanese investors in to show them the local culture. The Japanese are, apparently, very offended by vomit -- even "mock-vomit".

Someone was full of it have you seen how crazy the Japanese culture and shows are? I find it hard to believe they're offended over anything. Although I suppose if they were older businessmen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back