Conventional Fixtures Lamp Failure/What's This?

Wallcop

Hey, I was working on some Stage Beams, and one of the lamps I was replacing broke in half when I took it out of the socket.
I have two questions, Why did it break in half (never seen this happen before) & what is the weird powder coming out of the broken base (looks sort of like chili flakes) See pic:
proxy.php

Ceramic to set the lamp in place. Get use to this it happens a lot. The pins expand and get lodged into the socket. The socket arcs and fuses the pins to it. The lamp collar that holds the lamp can get “janky”. Pulling the lamp out at an angle will produce this as well.

Disconnect power and prying for life will get the base out. Good pair of pliers a flat head to wedge sometimes necessary. Remember to disconnect power. Even if it’s turned off.

Don’t touch these lamps with bare hands or you will be up there in a few days or a week repeating.

Welcome to lighting.

The reason the lamp broke in two is that it was already cracked in two. When a filament flashes over, often the wire leading into the flat metal ribbon in the tip seal blows open like a fuse. This can cause a crack across the pinch seal or other damage which then shows itself when you try to pull it out. Often, sand is used as a filler as the ceramic paste costs more. They save the ceramic past for the portion where the pinch seal is pasted into the base.
In addition, the sand serves as an expansion point when the fuse wire blows. Sand is often used in cartridge fuses for the same reason.

Yep, sand. 1987, the first time a metal-jacketed EHG broke on me and sand rained down upon the stage, neither I nor the props person were happy.

@Wallcop , what is the make and model of that lamp? I feel I should know, but don't think I do.

Just one of those things that happens sometimes. It's the weakest part of the design, so if it's going to break that's where it will happen. Mark might be able to tell us what it is. Or maybe he saw it, and had to go make an emergency visit to his psychiatrist.

"Often, sand is used as a filler as the ceramic paste costs more. " Yup.

Ceramic to set the lamp in place. Get use to this it happens a lot. The pins expand and get lodged into the socket. The socket arcs and fuses the pins to it. The lamp collar that holds the lamp can get “janky”. Pulling the lamp out at an angle will produce this as well.

Disconnect power and prying for life will get the base out. Good pair of pliers a flat head to wedge sometimes necessary. Remember to disconnect power. Even if it’s turned off.

Don’t touch these lamps with bare hands or you will be up there in a few days or a week repeating.

Welcome to lighting.

Thank's for the advice, I've been taught to always wear gloves when working with lamps anyway and power is a no brainer. I was just worried about the substance incase it was somthing I should be worried about.

Nope all!

Look at what caused the failure!!! See the arching of the pins of the lamp? Don't just wonder about... these things happen, they don't. If you find this problem, there is a serious problem that installing a new lamp into a fixture will waste theater dollars in not recognizing.

Always inspect the bad lamp for why it failed, and indeed learn the characteristics for why a lamp fails in not just changing it but clearly in this case a bad lamp socket caused the problem. A perfectly good lamp installed into a perfectly bad lamp socket will make another failure until that socket finally stops working. Osram has excellent PDF texts on lamps and even quick references you can print and poster on your lamp cabinet in how and why the lamp failed.

Gee, what caused this lamp to fail? Wasn't an envelops break or finger touching. Sand falling into the audience is not a common thing in other than a very failed to recognize lamp base replacement - before the lamp failed... in it overheating what was nearest it. Or a really really bad bench focus which probably would fail before overheating the lamp base but could break cement in silica falling out. Amongst options - something that if you find sand falling.... a serious thing to investigate and not a common thing.

That amount of silica sand blackened don't turn black from a envelope or micro crack thru the monofoil, it takes a lot of heat and time to blacken a silica filler. Another easy indication of a bad lamp socket.

Did you replace the lamp socket once the lamp failed in a way in which you noted it needing replacement of it, or at this point note a few months ago I just changed that lamp in the fixture due to it also failing? Don't be worried, I have "Pro's" on tour constantly changing the same lamp on the same fixture every few weeks, every time about a hundred hours less ... and not wondering why it failed before it stops working. Mostly bad lamp socket, but sometimes bad ballast. None of the 'Pro's' care about other than getting the fixture running beyond that and visiting it in the coming weeks - the same fixture every few weeks or months. There lamps are well over $100 per lamp in those changing the lamp failing to do their job as a "professional" in maintaining the gear.

Inspect the pins of what lamps you replace, if charred or arched - replace the lamp socket in the fixture as it will match in being bad. What arched a bad lamp will match that in the lamp socket.... so just induce that arching into a new lamp? Otherwise you get on average a next lamp that will last 100 hours less each time the lamp is changed until it just stops working at best.

By the way, the silica sand filler is normally white, them being black should also indicate a serious problem in overheating. I have never seen this before in speaking for a really bad thing. Don't just install a new lamp into the fixture, there is a problem even if the cement retaining the silica sand has been broken and the silica leaks out.

Take some time to study the PDF's on lamps Osram has written - they are very useful in as a professional, doing your job training source of information. Take a few monents to consider why what lamp you are changing failed.... yep.. due to over hours is a good thing to as a "pro" know in changing verses changing the lamp because of the fixture.

Last edited:
Hey ship, would you happen to have a link for the Osram pdf? I wasn't too sure whereabouts on their website it would be located.

I do not in having printed and PDF files of it. Osram in separation from Sylvania has caused a bit of trauma on the websites. Mark no doubt can provide a link.

Sadly, I don't think I can. I don't believe it is still online anywhere (at least that I can find on our website). I still have the Metal Halide one as a large .pdf, but the Tungsten Halogen one is not anywhere I can find at the moment. I may have a hard copy somewhere...

I don't have a copy of the PDF at home, will check work computer. Otherwise at very least I have a hard copy (black & white) somewhere I can re-convert to PDF in sending Mark to re-link once properly re-installed if of help. Chat at some point tomorrow, LED questions anyway and been a while.

Links also to troubleshooting Metal Hallide lamps still exist or another thing to search PDF's for copies of? Should do a halogen version of that page. And another production of Osram shirts of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back