Lamp-on problems

ishboo

I have two VL2500 Wash units connected to a pagoda, they will power on just fine but when I have them lamp on they will short the circuit, however, when connected to wall power they will lamp on just fine. The pagoda can handle a similar load just fine so I don't think that it is being overloaded (it is a 20amp circuit). Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

What Voltage are you working at?

VL2500's, as stated in their manual, can end up drawing between 4 and 12 amps. If you are running 120Volt this is likely the case, especially if the line voltage in your area is not optimal (which it hardly ever is).

Other things could be the circuit you are pulling from isn't isolated, and has some amperage used already, a soft breaker, etc.

I do not know what voltage we are working at exactly but when I plug in an identical fixture the issue is not replicated, it is just these two that have the problem I believe. Perhaps an issue with the cabling?

I do not know what voltage we are working at exactly but when I plug in an identical fixture the issue is not replicated, it is just these two that have the problem I believe. Perhaps an issue with the cabling?

If you are plugging in one identical fixture, you aren't replicating the situation causing the problem. If you plug in two identical fixtures, or unplug one of the fixtures from the circuit and replace it with another identical fixture, then you are replicating the situation. Tripping the circuit breaker results from one situation- overdraw of power. This occurs either due to not adequately managing power draws put on it, or an error in the circuit such as incorrect polarity in wiring or two one of the leads touching the ground. Of course, if the breaker is soft, meaning it no longer can allow as much power to be drawn through it as it should before breaking the circuit, it will trip prematurely.

Try what Derek said first. If one on causes no problem, good. If two on causes it, you know you are drawing too much power.

Last edited:

I run into this time-to-time with moving lights... Various factors including age of the components can result in one fixture drawing more current than another at strike time.
If you have a fixture that is drawing an EXCEPTIONAL amount of current, consider sending it in for repair, as it's possible something inside is on the way out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back