Lamping 360Q to keep pace with S4s?

Here's another use for an Altman 360Q-6x16 lamp.

attachment.php

...perhaps the BEST use! Just try doing that with a Source4 with a 6.25" color frame holder.

Last edited:
OMG, I WANT ONE!

And the best part is, I know where I can find a bunch of out-of-service 360Q's.

As long as it’s a 6x16, that’s kind of cool as a table lamp - won’t find me doing such a thing, but there is my own box spot project in turning them into MR-16 fixtures. This only given the three brands/types I have are preserved in example of fixture type, the others are surplus and changed to MR-16 in such a way it does not prevent them going back to box spot. Had the concept of my Century 8x9's becoming a sort of behind the sofa table - ½" plexiglass put between cannons & them being lamped down to say something nominal in voltage or even LED. For work even I have modified many sets of Mole Fresnels in the 10K, 5K and 2K sizes over the years to either lower wattage or LED in either using Pixel Pup or Colemar LED par 56. Just had a visiting designer in last week that was looking for more prop lights of a similar size, but wanting them incandescent. As always the concept in me modifying gear to be something it aint’ is that it can go back to what it was without effecting it’s operation and efficiency. Problem with this table lamp is that it looks like either it’s just a shell of a fixture surrounding a fixture’s colum, or it’s been trashed in modifying. Again as a 6x16, no big loss, lots of surplus in the market for them. For other stuff, bad idea if modified in a way it could not go back.

Would be a shame to do such a thing to a more useful beamspread in general than 6x16 - this given the amount of theaters out there that don’t even have this good of a light.

In general, ship, I agree with you. However, being a 360Q, I don't feel it's a terrible loss. I can think of ways to do this without trashing the fixture. Now, if someone did this with something more unusual, would you feel a "disturbance in the force"?

Sadly... my school, haha. I mean we've got some spare bodies, so I might try this out at some point.

If you do this, just remember the fixture is UL listed for 750w max! Don't go putting an FEL in there! Ship's points about making whatever you do easily-reversable are valid also.

An acquaintance of mine once stumbled onto a cache of Mole fixtures with "Desilu Studios" stenciled on them. That's history right there. Those lights could have lit Star Trek. Unfortunately, the owner didn't want to sell them and eventually went bankrupt and the lights were probably sold for scrap. The place where I work has many old film and TV lights, all re-socketed to take medium screw base, used as decor to make the joint look "theatrical." I suppose there is some market for that type of thing. But I like the idea of keeping fixtures as original as possible, other than the removal of asbestos wiring, and making them electrically and mechanically safe for "use."

Anyone got a 1355 they're willing to let go of cheap?

Problem with this table lamp is that it looks like either it’s just a shell of a fixture surrounding a fixture’s colum, or it’s been trashed in modifying.

I found this picture on the 'net probably ten years ago. I'm thinking the owner just mounted a medium screw base socket on top of the yoke, and ran the lamp cord upstage of the body. Can't really see if the lamp cap is in place or not, but it could be. With the socket's threaded tube going thru the 1/2" yoke bolt hole, no damage or modifications are necessary. But I do think the shutters should be pulled if the lamp is going to be on.:)

We'd probably need about 125 bodies, probably 150 lens tubes. Definitely some of the expensive 5º and 10ºs, a well as some of the 70ºs and 90ºs. Of course: 150 lamps (25 spares), and 125 professionally installed stage pins. Not to mention we would throw away all our accessories. 7.5" is a little big for a S4.
Yep, that just about comes in at 125 bodies, 150 lens tubes, 150 lamps, and 125 SPC plugs over budget.

Rough estimate: If this were purchased as a package (all at once, and bid out) this would probably cost $35,000-40,000. But, this assumes that you don't buy many 5º, 10º, 70º, or 90ºs.

Look into getting the power company to pay for it. The savings in power alone should be enough to at least get a grant for part of the cost.

--Sean

Look into getting the power company to pay for it. The savings in power alone should be enough to at least get a grant for part of the cost.
--Sean

In 2007, this is a tough sell. The problem is that the power companies are trying to avoid building more generation capacity. Replacing a couple of million 100W A-lamps with 15W CFL's gets them there the quickest, so that's where they are currently aiming their subsidy dollars.

I was involved with a few projects in the mid nineties that gave various theatre companies free Source Fours based on power savings. They were all previously using 1kW lamps, so they made the case of the change from 1kW to 575W. However, nobody looked really hard at the duty cycle data, which is absurdly low for the typical theatrical application, making for a really long payback.

I have not heard of any similar deals being done lately, but it's probably worth a call to your local power company.

ST

Users who are viewing this thread

Back