Landscape lights as apron lights

The console has nothing to do with it. The dimmer type AND transformer type are critical. Without knowing both it could go either way.
Many theatrical dimmers can handle magnetic transformers, so dig out the spec's.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thank you for the insight, Rick.

I may just have to revise my plan and use another fixture on the apron.

I thought the LED landscape lights looked more authentic, plus their wash was gentle and they have a short throw. At $35 a piece it seemed like a good idea.

What other fixtures would you suggest?

I thought the LED landscape lights looked more authentic, plus their wash was gentle and they have a short throw. At $35 a piece it seemed like a good idea.

What other fixtures would you suggest?

In that price range, par 16's. You can get a pair for $29.50 on eBay. They come in halogen and LED, but I don't know how well the LED versions dim (probably not well).

LED throws a whole new angle on landscape lights. But some dim and some don't. You may not need to junk the idea, just check the fixture spec's. If it's dimmable it will say on the package, and cost more...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

They do make and sell mains dimmable LV lanscape lights. The plain white ones are under $100 plus the transformer at your local big box store.

Just be aware of the reason for the problem. It lies in getting the line voltage down to the low voltage, usually 12 volts, and not with the actual lights. Both transformer type and switch-mode type supplies are problematic. If your landscape lights are line voltage and dimmable, then there should not be a problem. Still, the whole concept around "landscape lighting" is running them at the low voltage, which gets around many wiring issues.

Transformers that are under a heavy load usually work OK with dimmers. I used to run 600 watt ACL's (single units) using a toraidal core tapped at 28 volts. It's when transformers are under light or no load that really crazy things happen. The switched pulse from the dimmer causes such an over-reaction that they turn into ignition transformers! First learned that in the late 70's when one took out a dimmer. When I set up a test rig and scope, I was seeing 4kv spikes on the primary! Load it up and the spikes disappear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back