LDI 2008 Vegas anybody?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the other hand, if you aren't in a theater program and are not looking to be in the live entertainment industry, then I can understand saving the money. If you do want to work in live entertainment, I highly advise going if you can (been doing so for the last 10 years or so).

Have to agree. There isn't a better way to have the chance to see, touch, and learn about all the latest high tech toys than LDI. It's unbelievably HUGE. I went 2 years ago. The exhibit hall is open three days. I didn't finish seeing all the exhibits until mid morning on the third day... its amazing. Coming from a typical educational/community theater experience. It was mind boggling to see everything LDI has to offer for the first time. Sort of like the first time I took my son to "Toys R Us".

<Warning: slightly off-topic> Who knew?, there's an LDI of sorts specifically for the HOW crowd, held this year in the capital state of mega-churches, Texas, 11/5-7/08. Worship Facilities Conference & Expo.

Although LDI is fine and fun, in the past (before LDI existed) I've found USITT's conferences to be more educational, as they are aimed more toward theatre. The fact that the USITT Conference (Cincinnati, 2009!) moves each year, instead of just playing Las Vegas and Orlando, is a big plus also.

Although LDI is fine and fun, in the past (before LDI existed) I've found USITT's conferences to be more educational, as they are aimed more toward theatre. The fact that the USITT Conference (Cincinnati, 2009!) moves each year, instead of just playing Las Vegas and Orlando, is a big plus also.

Good point. USITT is like going to the coolest class on campus while LDI is more like being left to wander the candy store. USITT has a ton of classes and a smaller but still good show floor. I believe USITT is substantially less expensive too. If you want to take a bunch of classes at LDI you'll go broke fast.

On the other hand you can't job shadow a crew member during a performance of KA at USITT or hang out with Derek and Gaff! :cool:

Last edited:
Re: vegas wedding

I was going to spend the whole weekend, but I likely have a show Saturday. Is it worth coming out for 24 hours? Since my time is limited I plan on staying on Paradise right across from the convention center.

Re: LDI

(Note: post above moved from "vegas wedding".)

...Is it worth coming out for 24 hours?...
As one who attends LDI every two years, I'd say no--plan on gorgeous downtown Cincinnati for USITT in March 2009 instead.

Only been once before. It took me all day Friday, All day Saturday, and several hours on Sunday to see the exhibit hall.

If you are only interested in seeing a few specific vendors then I suppose you could see what you want in one day. But you'll miss most of it.

It is on like Donkey Kong! I'm in for the KA class, and going to see the Fisher boyz on the show floor. And CM. And Branam. And Foy. And whoever else I can't think of right now.

If you're under 21, and looking for non-LDI stuff to do:
Vegas has HELLA public skateparks. Concrete. Huge. Open 24/7. FREE! I cannot tell you how much I miss them. Anthem makes the old Del Mar park in SoCal look like preschool. Dear lord...
Also, there's one indoor park: SkateCity Indoor Skatepark - Las Vegas, Nevada or search for them on myspace.
TONS of rock climbing out at Red Rock, pending development for housing.
Mt. Charleston, go mtn. biking. Or out around the lake.

See you there kidz!

Just to let you know plans are now in the works for a CB get together at LDI on Friday night. We'll meet at like 6pm at a secret location. More info will follow from Derek as we get closer. If you are making plans for Friday night, buy tickets for the later show so you don't miss the CB gang.

Also don't forget to buy a CB shirt to wear on the exhibit hall floor!

As someone who lives here, you only need to be 21 if you want to drink or gamble. Fortunately there are more things to do in Vegas these days, so you are no longer limited to those activities (but I think it's worth a visit once you are :^).

On the other hand, if you aren't in a theater program and are not looking to be in the live entertainment industry, then I can understand saving the money. If you do want to work in live entertainment, I highly advise going if you can (been doing so for the last 10 years or so).

Maybe in a few years I'll have enough to be able to come... I'll start saving those pennies I find in the Laundry Machine or something...

I'm not sure if I will be going this year. If I do, it would most likely be a day trip. My money is most likely going to USITT this year. Since this will be my second year of grad school, I feel my money would be better spent starting a job search making contacts at USITT.

I'm not sure if I will be going this year. If I do, it would most likely be a day trip. My money is most likely going to USITT this year. Since this will be my second year of grad school, I feel my money would be better spent starting a job search making contacts at USITT.

Sounds like a very wise move to me.

Just to let you know plans are now in the works for a CB get together at LDI on Friday night. We'll meet at like 6pm at a secret location. More info will follow from Derek as we get closer. If you are making plans for Friday night, buy tickets for the later show so you don't miss the CB gang.

Also don't forget to buy a CB shirt to wear on the exhibit hall floor!

Well, I'll be at LDI, but the get together will most likely be out for me since I will be working until 11:30. Hope to run into several of you guys anyway!

I want to go really badly, but I don't think I can afford it. Be nice to go to Vegas again, now that I'm legal...

Link to complimentary Exhibits Only pass. Naturally, I would be sent this, having registered for the show in March!:)

Link to complimentary Exhibits Only pass. Naturally, I would be sent this, having registered for the show in March!:)

You didn't actually pay now did you? The only time I have paid was to take some of the classes (well, work paid once and the second time it was a gift).

Ditto. (Added characters: No didn't pay, have never paid, but don't like feeling "obligated" to a manufacturer, so registered free during "pre-res" period).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back