LED Buyer's Guide?

I seem to recall one of the trade magazines doing a buyer's guide for LED ellipsoidals recently, but can't find the article. Anyone know of a good side-by-side comparison?

I would love this as well. Currently have a bunch of S4s that I was planning on going to Source 4WRD, but if there's anything compelling from Chauvet, that might be compelling to not retrofit some 10+ year old fixtures.

I would love this as well. Currently have a bunch of S4s that I was planning on going to Source 4WRD, but if there's anything compelling from Chauvet, that might be compelling to not retrofit some 10+ year old fixtures.
I haven't seen a buyers guide lately but here's my take.
If you are looking for fixtures that produce classic pastel front light like R03, R33, or R60, I would lean towards ETC Colorsource. I have the PAR version and can easily produce the classic light color saturation pastel colors you want for front light.

The Chauvet Ovation Elipsoidals are excellent fixtures too. The optics of the Chauvet lenses are top notch, close in clarity to ETC EDLT lenses. The deeper saturated colors coming out of their fixtures are excellent.. . Not quite as good as the ETC 7 Colo LED system, but very good and a lot less money. I have the Ovation Cyc lights and they are amazing. So if you are looking for lots of color, I would lean towards Chauvet.

Either way call your local dealer and get a demo of both products. Never spend a lot of money without seeing the fixture on your stage! If you don't know who to call send a private message here on CB to @starksk at ETC or @Ford at Chauvet. I'm sure they would be happy to get you in touch with someone to do a demo for you.

Last edited:
I'll tag onto @gafftaper's recommendation and say I just bought 20 of the Ovations. Their color range is killer and the optics are incredible (I'd actually say a hair better than the EDLTs with an LED source). They are way smaller and quieter than Phoenixs and far more affordable than either Phoenixs or Color Sources. I am a happy customer and my designers are happy designers.

Edit: Ovation E-910FC specifically.

Yeah, sorry about that; I read about 3 grafs in and it looked good, so I linked it; I got caught on a phone call for half an hour, and when I read the rest...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back