LED "cyc" lights for 11' x 24' sky drop

Stuart R

Hello all -

Got a rather small stage with a rather small "cyc" - it's basically just a white drop that we put pretty washes of color on. We have six ELAR EX Tribar fixtures (each one meter long with a single row of 18 RGB LEDs) hanging above and very close (18?") and it does not work well. Does anyone have any suggests for another approach? Space is very limited. Needs to be top hung.

Thanks.

S

I would recommend a true Cyc fixture like the Altman Spectra Cyc Series. (link below) You can top hang these but you're going to need a lot more distance than 18" from the curtain no matter what brand cyc fixture you descide to go with to get an even coverage. That is unless you wanted to go down the LED linear batten route which seems to be what you're doing already.

Altman Spectra Cyc 100

I really like the ETC ColorSource Cyc fixtures. I have 6 of them spread across about a 50' cyc with about a 4.5' setback. ETC recommends 1.7:1 up to 2:1 spacing for the ColorSource Cyc, with a minimum 2' setback.

before you give up on your current bars.. go to the home projects store, and get yourself some plastic "troffer" diffusion stuff like you use in fluorescent light drop in ceiling.
I put it on our toughstick RGBA units.. we light a 14x35 flat "cyc" with them and it made a world of difference. After fighting with
elastic and gaff tape, I finally had my son design and we 3d printed some clips to hold the material on. It can be cut on the table saw, but eye protection is an absolute must here, even if you are lazy otherwise
The stuff is brittle and if you feed too fast etc, can chip and shatter.
IMG_4523(1).JPG
IMG_4522(1).JPG

Might I also suggest getting a demo of the Chauvet Cyc 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back