LED Cyc Lights

Hunter.tech

I need fixture recommendations for cheap LED cyc lights. My cyc is 45' long and approx 25' high. I really want to be able to light the cyc from the top and bottom but I need to be able to afford that many cyc lights. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

I need fixture recommendations for cheap LED cyc lights. My cyc is 45' long and approx 25' high. I really want to be able to light the cyc from the top and bottom but I need to be able to afford that many cyc lights. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
@Hunter.tech Please define "cheap". Cheap is a relative term.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

How far from cyc can you hang fixtures. The further you can get, the more economical it will be.

I like the ColorSource Cyc very much. You'd have a good wash if just too or bottom, both would be phenomenal. 5' out and maybe 7-8' on center - at least 6 and better 7 - in the $1700 range - $11,000?

There are two cyc philosophies - traditional cyc wash fixtures several feet downstage of your curtain, or "grazers" - fixtures inches away from the curtain firing straight down. Grazers give you more ability to break up the lighting on your curtain, however they will probably not be as even as traditional cyc wash fixtures.

I did a project last summer for a 32' wide curtain with "cheap" strip fixtures (cost was like $5K) and the result ended up being OK, but the lens design of the fixtures created funny stray colors that wouldn't work in every situation. The better products that don't do this were over twice the money.

Conventional cyc wash fixtures were slightly cheaper than the better strip fixtures, but not a whole lot.

It's worth your time to get a demo of the Colorsource Cyc and also the Chauvet Ovation C-805FC. You may find that you don't need to hit your curtain from both top and bottom, and with the Chauvet product, you can do vertical split colors with one fixture.

Ditto on the cheap point. The best solution would end with you investing in Colorsource or Colorforce units.
More budget friendly options would be any of Blizzards' cyc units like the HotStik or CycOut.

There are two cyc philosophies - traditional cyc wash fixtures several feet downstage of your curtain, or "grazers" - fixtures inches away from the curtain firing straight down. Grazers give you more ability to break up the lighting on your curtain, however they will probably not be as even as traditional cyc wash fixtures.

I did a project last summer for a 32' wide curtain with "cheap" strip fixtures (cost was like $5K) and the result ended up being OK, but the lens design of the fixtures created funny stray colors that wouldn't work in every situation. The better products that don't do this were over twice the money.

Conventional cyc wash fixtures were slightly cheaper than the better strip fixtures, but not a whole lot.

It's worth your time to get a demo of the Colorsource Cyc and also the Chauvet Ovation C-805FC. You may find that you don't need to hit your curtain from both top and bottom, and with the Chauvet product, you can do vertical split colors with one fixture.
Have you used the Chauvet Ovation C-805FC before? Would one fixture on the floor be enough to evenly wash a 25-30' tall cyc and be able to evenly split it? Alos if my cyc is approx. 45-50' long how many fixtures would you suggest I use?

I don't think the ColorSource Cyc is great to 25-30' but some might find it acceptable. Number depends on distance from cyc. I'd say 1.5 to 1, so at 5' then 7'-6" on center or 6 units.

I'd prefer either ColorSource Spot or S4LED with cyc adapter. I just opened a school with 25' high and the ColorSource Spot with adapter was very nice. More like 1.2 spacing do at 5', 6' on center or probably 8 units. 7 might be ok.

Have you used the Chauvet Ovation C-805FC before? Would one fixture on the floor be enough to evenly wash a 25-30' tall cyc and be able to evenly split it? Alos if my cyc is approx. 45-50' long how many fixtures would you suggest I use?
Do you have 5' of throw on the floor? That seems like it would be very in the way. If you do one row, would you not do top?

I haven't seen the Ovation fixture in question, but I had a conversation with @Ford about it. If for no other reason than the split color ability, it's worth your time to demo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back