LED Cycs

Robert F Jarvis

Currently want to replace our very old three bay, 1000 watt cyc lights with modern LED cycs. I'm looking at ETC CSCYCs and wondering if anyone here is using such. How many would we need to cover a 32' by 20' cyc curtain? Or are their suggestions for other cycs we should look at?

How far away are the fixtures going to be mounted from the curtain? Are you planning on lighting from top, bottom, or both? Are you front lighting or backlighting the curtain and if backlit is there a bounce?

ETC makes an app for calculating the number of cyc lights you need given their height, dimensions of the drop, and throw distance (how far away from the cyc they're rigged). More is always better, of course.

I've found that I generally don't like the CS Cycs for lighting up cycs -- many small units on individual yokes means there can be slight discrepancies in, say, how one is tilted or panned ever-so-slightly to the right, which leads to uneven coverage. They're great for lighting smaller drops (behind a window unit, for example), but for lighting cycs I generally find I prefer ColorForce II 72's or similar striplight-format fixtures.

I've repeatedly used them on a 25 x 60 cyc. Single set, 6 back and 6 apart covers well. The vertical fall off is rather large. I believe they are recommended for no more than 16' tall. Even when we mask to 20 x 40 I wish for a second set.

ETC makes an app for calculating the number of cyc lights you need given their height, dimensions of the drop, and throw distance (how far away from the cyc they're rigged). More is always better, of course.

I've found that I generally don't like the CS Cycs for lighting up cycs -- many small units on individual yokes means there can be slight discrepancies in, say, how one is tilted or panned ever-so-slightly to the right, which leads to uneven coverage. They're great for lighting smaller drops (behind a window unit, for example), but for lighting cycs I generally find I prefer ColorForce II 72's or similar striplight-format fixtures.
These are a lot more expensive then the CSCYC but I agree the later as my best guess would require at least 8 units four up top and four on the floor. So the question is how many Coloforce II 72s would a 32 x 20 foot cyc need? The fewer lights the better if one can get a smooth coverage I reckon.

These are a lot more expensive then the CSCYC but I agree the later as my best guess would require at least 8 units four up top and four on the floor. So the question is how many Coloforce II 72s would a 32 x 20 foot cyc need? The fewer lights the better if one can get a smooth coverage I reckon.
I have colorforce 72's V1 on my cyc... going on 9 years with them. Its the only way I'd go, no question about it. You want as many feet of them as you have cyc. So, in your case 5 units w/ the cyc lens will do it. If you are in a position you can buy used, you can buy the V1's for a grand each. They V1's are great... we rarely run ours above 50% on a 45x28 cyc. We have 6 units. I would not buy seperate cyc units like the CSCYC, its too hard to get them focused.

https://www.christielitesusedgear.c...Bp8LFCx8AFbrfOskEQJS7AnqCISqZ8U94Ets-vAQVMqsk

Last edited:
I have S4LED Series 1 fixtures with cyc adapters and I have to tilt them down for clearance every time we set our orchestra shell, so I end up refocusing them very frequently. The trick I figured out was to do one very careful focus off a ladder, then bring the electric in to low trim and bring my cyc out to a special trim that matches the top edge of the beam. There are some linear artifacts in that edge of the adapter's beam that I can use to very quickly and accurately align the fixture to the bottom edge of the cyc. I was very proud of myself when I came up with that shortcut.

I haven't used a CS-CYC much, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could use a similar trick for a quick focus.

I have S4LED Series 1 fixtures with cyc adapters and I have to tilt them down for clearance every time we set our orchestra shell, so I end up refocusing them very frequently. The trick I figured out was to do one very careful focus off a ladder, then bring the electric in to low trim and bring my cyc out to a special trim that matches the top edge of the beam. There are some linear artifacts in that edge of the adapter's beam that I can use to very quickly and accurately align the fixture to the bottom edge of the cyc. I was very proud of myself when I came up with that shortcut.

I haven't used a CS-CYC much, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could use a similar trick for a quick focus.
We use a digital angle gauge for our cyc units and flown monitors. Once you figure out what angle you like you just set the rest of them on the ground. And then it's easy to repeat that angle in the future.

I have colorforce 72's V1 on my cyc... going on 9 years with them. Its the only way I'd go, no question about it. You want as many feet of them as you have cyc. So, in your case 5 units w/ the cyc lens will do it. If you are in a position you can buy used, you can buy the V1's for a grand each. They V1's are great... we rarely run ours above 50% on a 45x28 cyc. We have 6 units. I would not buy seperate cyc units like the CSCYC, its too hard to get them focused.

https://www.christielitesusedgear.c...Bp8LFCx8AFbrfOskEQJS7AnqCISqZ8U94Ets-vAQVMqsk
Not quite sure of "as many as many feet of them as you have cyc". Our cyc is 30 x 20 foot. I guess the parameter should be - how far apart would you mount them? I have tried to download the ETC calculator app. without success.
If anyone reading this has the app please fire in 30 x 20 feet and let me know. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Not quite sure of "as many as many feet of them as you have cyc". Our cyc is 30 x 20 foot. I guess the parameter should be - how far apart would you mount them?
Zero feet, zero inches apart. Most have some sort of offset rigging to allow adjacent units to touch, no Tee handles getting the way. For your application, five units of 6'-0" each would work best. A groundrow is highly desired, if not for coverage then for composition.

And continuing the recommendations of other products. I have the Chauvet Ovation Batten LED fixtures. Which I think are the superior option. They are SO ridiculously bright I rarely run them over around 20%.

We did a shoot out with the CS CYC lights and Chauvet CYC1 fixtures. We preferred and bought the Chauvet ones. That being said, either one on a 20’ CYC needs, in my opinion, top and bottom.

Second @gafftaper 's recommendation. I got a set at the old job, and we just got a set at the new job. Can easily turn a black drape any color you'd like too. While not a cyc fixture per se, Chauvet just came out with another fixture called the Color Strike M. It's a tilt moving head blinder with RGB and a white strobe strip in the middle. Easily the brightest thing I've ever looked at, short of the sun. We just got a set for blinders, but also to use as general illumination and effect. Might be a cool swiss army cyc wash too!

Not quite sure of "as many as many feet of them as you have cyc". Our cyc is 30 x 20 foot. I guess the parameter should be - how far apart would you mount them? I have tried to download the ETC calculator app. without success.
If anyone reading this has the app please fire in 30 x 20 feet and let me know. Thanks
Its a strip unit. You mount them yoke to yoke, just like we used to with R40's or zip strips. They are designed to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back