LED Railing

Our theater is planning on replacing our current railing with LED railings. The purpose of this change is to provide running lights on the stairs that access our upper seating area, replacing the current step lights that are wholly insufficient to provide enough coverage to light the entire stair case. I am asking for thoughts from anyone who may have experience installing the railings. Since this is an installation into the existing building, it is a little out of the scope of my expertise. So, I am looking for any and all thoughts, suggestions and experiences with the installation of LED railings. Any suggestions on companies who provide LED railings would also be greatly appreciated.

I was only tangentially involved, but they recently built a new building here on campus, and went with fancy lighted railing for the main stairwell. It looks nice now, but chatting with the project managers they hated it- sourcing it was a pain, and installation cost way more since you're now paying an electrician to do it instead of a standard construction laborer.

Our theater is planning on replacing our current railing with LED railings. The purpose of this change is to provide running lights on the stairs that access our upper seating area, replacing the current step lights that are wholly insufficient to provide enough coverage to light the entire stair case. I am asking for thoughts from anyone who may have experience installing the railings. Since this is an installation into the existing building, it is a little out of the scope of my expertise. So, I am looking for any and all thoughts, suggestions and experiences with the installation of LED railings. Any suggestions on companies who provide LED railings would also be greatly appreciated.
You might want to check your local life safety/building codes for the amout of illumination required, and what it must illuminate.

Never done the install, but I have sat in a space that had these.
If the railing is steep enough and there aren't louvers or any other type of glare avoidance material, the LEDs that are a few rows below where you are sitting end up shining directly in your eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back