Design LED Rope Light/Tape - DMX Controllable?

z2oo

Hey there. Long time reader, first post! I'm a high school student with quite a budget, but not enough for any sort of real media server/projection system. So here's my thought-

Is there any sort of RGB LED rope light or tape that is DMX controllable? We've got an ETC Ion so I could pixel-map the LEDs, providing that they are individually controllable. If not, it's not a deal breaker, as it would be cool to have a (hopefully) cheapo light curtain for our talent show.

The way I'm thinking of laying out the tape would be in a curtain, like so...

X-------------------------------|
|--------------------------------
--------------------------------|
---------------------------------

The 'X' would be the beginning of the tape/DMX in control system.
Every '|' is where I would bend the tape back (like a switchback).
And, of course, the '-' is the actual tape.

Does anyone know of such a product? I've found lots of chinese websites that apparently see something like this, but I don't trust 'em.
In short, I'm looking for either a pixel-mappable RGB LED curtain, or just an RGB LED curtain.

you are probably going to have better results with an actual RGB LED curtain than trying to make one out of LED rope. As far as I've seen they allow per color and not so much individual LED's.

...We've got an ETC Ion so I could pixel-map the LEDs, providing that they are individually controllable. ...
Yes, but... you'd be limited to 17x10 (or 34x5, or other factors ≤ 170) RGB pixels per DMX universe. Not great resolution.

A google search for "LED curtain" turns up lots of possibilities. See also this thread.

Yes, but... you'd be limited to 17x10 (or 34x5, or other factors ≤ 170) RGB pixels per DMX universe. Not great resolution.

But, he does have an Ion, and assuming no other DMX toys, just conventionals, he would potentially have near 900 DMX addresses he could use, so 300 RGB pixels. That would be assuming he had the base level Ion, and less then 124 dimmers with no Movers, or other DMX toys during that event.

[google]Light-O-Rama[/google] has a cool LED rope. It's rather expensive, but it may be worth a look.

There's this LED DMX Digital Strip (RGB) from our newest member BestBrightLED's site.

I'm thinking that I would go with this product, buying two rolls for about $115. Then, since I do have movers, toys, and tons of conventionals, I'd just make myself a nice LED curtain that can be re-purposed later in life. I would love to pixel-map it, but, as already stated, would need another universe for all of my DMX hogging toys. Is that possible on the Ion? Another alternative I could try is making every two pixels into one - that is each RGB LED unit would be addressed together with another - to cut the addresses needed in half.

Thoughts?

Contact Bruce @ 954-578-8881 Inner Circle Distribution > Home. Inner circle distribution makes custom sizes and carries a large inventory of Elements RGB LED flex tape. They also carry the new Video LED Tape with individual PIXEL CONTROL!! THATS RIGHT--individual PIXEL CONTROL!

Hey there. Long time reader, first post! I'm a high school student with quite a budget, but not enough for any sort of real media server/projection system. So here's my thought-

Is there any sort of RGB LED rope light or tape that is DMX controllable? We've got an ETC Ion so I could pixel-map the LEDs, providing that they are individually controllable. If not, it's not a deal breaker, as it would be cool to have a (hopefully) cheapo light curtain for our talent show.

The way I'm thinking of laying out the tape would be in a curtain, like so...

X-------------------------------|
--------------------------------|
---------------------------------

The 'X' would be the beginning of the tape/DMX in control system.
Every '|' is where I would bend the tape back (like a switchback).
And, of course, the '-' is the actual tape.

Does anyone know of such a product? I've found lots of chinese websites that apparently see something like this, but I don't trust 'em.
In short, I'm looking for either a pixel-mappable RGB LED curtain, or just an RGB LED curtain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back